UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Went to the UFC Mexican trials this week!!

1/14/13 4:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
I am Juan Eli Manning
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MEXICANOS AL GRITO DE GUERRA!
1/14/13 9:46 PM
ConditJustGSPeedHisPants
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buena Suerte Fabio,
Necesitamos mas pesos completos.

TTT!. Phone Post
1/14/13 10:46 PM
Shortkick
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck Fabio... Phone Post
1/15/13 2:01 AM
FabioVargas
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MagSlim - Hey Fabio, can you tell us some more about the Mexican MMA scene in general. I really don't know much about it.

Who are the other big camps besides Delgado's? Where are most of the events held? What are the main orgaizations? How popular is the local scene vs. the UFC?

The Mexican MMA scene is like it was in the states some 10 to 15 yrs ago, there are a lot of small orgs setting up shows on a regular basis. there is usually a bigger org that is broadcasted live on national tv, it used to be Max fights, then Xtreme Fighters latino, and now XK, the first two lasted for a couple of years, at the moment XK is the place to be, having the biggest purses and currently on national tv.

Camp wise, you have bonebreakers from Mexico city, Entram valetodo from Tijuana, XK has it´s own camp, as well as many smaller camps scattered all around the country, I for one belong to Mexico Top Team which is in León Guanajuato, the central part of Mexico.

The biggest events are held at the moment in Mexico city, Guadalajara and the northern part of México (Tijuana, Monterrey, etc). There used to be a decent org in my city which disappeared a couple of years ago, the last time I fought there the attendance was of a around 3000 people, which is a lot for Mexico, that is the biggest you´ll get right now.

The local scene is always growing but now with the UC being broadcasted on FOX sports,most people know who Cain Velasquez is,I realised this when one day my ex-mother in law told me: "Did you watch the fights yesterday?, they were amazing", referring to a UFC event. That right there meant for me that the sport is now mainstream.
1/15/13 2:03 AM
FabioVargas
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen - 

Great post.  I LOVE Mexico and I love the fact that the UFC is exploding in Spanish speaking countries.

Thank you OP and keep us informed.  Buena suerte!

Glad you like it, and will definitely keep you guys posted.
1/15/13 2:05 AM
FabioVargas

HaoleBoy - good stuff

have any pictures?

Don´t have many, but will definitely post the ones I have as soon as I have downloaded them and the little vid of my Thai pad session.
1/15/13 2:07 AM
FabioVargas

I am Juan Eli Manning - MEXICANOS AL GRITO DE GUERRA!

El acero aprestad y el bridon, y retiemble en su centro la tierra...
1/15/13 2:08 AM
FabioVargas

ConditJustGSPeedHisPants -  Buena Suerte Fabio,
Necesitamos mas pesos completos.

TTT!. Phone Post

Gracias amigo, esperemos que así sea.
1/15/13 2:08 AM
FabioVargas

Shortkick -  Good luck Fabio... Phone Post

Thanks mate
1/15/13 3:06 AM
Drugs_Delaney
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my family is from San Juan. so last time i was down my cousins(mma fans since we had illegal ppv for ufc1) took me to Guadalajara to watch some fights and was totally surprised to see how many people were there and how big the crowd felt. it reminded me of going to the see luchadores when i was a kid. cant wait to see you guys making waves up here like Eric.
1/15/13 3:22 AM
FabioVargas

Drugs_Delaney - my family is from San Juan. so last time i was down my cousins(mma fans since we had illegal ppv for ufc1) took me to Guadalajara to watch some fights and was totally surprised to see how many people were there and how big the crowd felt. it reminded me of going to the see luchadores when i was a kid. cant wait to see you guys making waves up here like Eric.

Funny that you mention San Juan, we recently had a very good Dave Camarillo black belt at our school who was visiting relatives in San Juan
1/15/13 3:28 AM
Death
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt, good luck!! Phone Post
1/15/13 3:42 AM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6 months at greg jacksons means tuf mexico isnt coming anytime soon. I would say 2014 at the earliest.  They did the same in chna... they brought in like half a dozen chinese to live and train in las vegas.

1/15/13 11:07 AM
FabioVargas

MMALOGIC - 

6 months at greg jacksons means tuf mexico isnt coming anytime soon. I would say 2014 at the earliest.  They did the same in chna... they brought in like half a dozen chinese to live and train in las vegas.

That´s very interesting, how long ago was that and what else do you know about it?
1/15/13 11:08 AM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

very cool

1/16/13 2:15 PM
burner22
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck fabio! Cool to see some mexicans in the big show Phone Post
1/17/13 2:27 AM
treehugger
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck man!

That's a really great opportunity for you guys down there, I hope a lot of fighters get their chances asap.
1/17/13 11:12 AM
FabioVargas

time traveling 12er - 
FabioVargas - 
MagSlim - Hey Fabio, can you tell us some more about the Mexican MMA scene in general. I really don't know much about it.

Who are the other big camps besides Delgado's? Where are most of the events held? What are the main orgaizations? How popular is the local scene vs. the UFC?

The Mexican MMA scene is like it was in the states some 10 to 15 yrs ago, there are a lot of small orgs setting up shows on a regular basis. there is usually a bigger org that is broadcasted live on national tv, it used to be Max fights, then Xtreme Fighters latino, and now XK, the first two lasted for a couple of years, at the moment XK is the place to be, having the biggest purses and currently on national tv.

Camp wise, you have bonebreakers from Mexico city, Entram valetodo from Tijuana, XK has it´s own camp, as well as many smaller camps scattered all around the country, I for one belong to Mexico Top Team which is in León Guanajuato, the central part of Mexico.

The biggest events are held at the moment in Mexico city, Guadalajara and the northern part of México (Tijuana, Monterrey, etc). There used to be a decent org in my city which disappeared a couple of years ago, the last time I fought there the attendance was of a around 3000 people, which is a lot for Mexico, that is the biggest you´ll get right now.

The local scene is always growing but now with the UC being broadcasted on FOX sports,most people know who Cain Velasquez is,I realised this when one day my ex-mother in law told me: "Did you watch the fights yesterday?, they were amazing", referring to a UFC event. That right there meant for me that the sport is now mainstream.

Sounds awesome. Is there any cross over from the luchador industry like there is from the pro-wreslters in the early days in Japan?

There has been a bit of crossing over but not that much, actually a bunch of luchadores went to Japan and fought in deep with very mixed results, over here in Mexico what you would expect is some boxers making the transition, but that hasn´t happened much either, what is going on is that most MMA guys go to the well know boxing gyms to train and funny stories take place.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.