UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Belt testing question???

1/14/13 4:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rivel504
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yo my name is josh, 24 louisiana, i have been training in bjj for about 4 years now and soak everything up like a sponge. I love the sport for the workout as well as the technique it teaches. However, i am mostly self taught thru trial and error with some help here and there. I grapple with a few blackbelts as well as many others across all belts and other gyms. I hold my own very very well and am rarely submitted. I like to use more technique and mental aspect than sheer strength and size. Now my question is i am an unranked white belt as i have never attended a gym and have a friend i train with that is a 3rd degree in aki jui jitsu( don't know how to spell that lol) who is willing to test me up into an appropriate belt. How legit is that? And what is the process to make it official? Thanks for all the help. Phone Post
1/15/13 8:36 AM
DeuceDroppin

Bro I'd say that you are probably Gracie JJ brown belt level. Here's what you need to do. Get your friend to test you, print a certificate, and go enter a tournament at said level to show off your sweet techniques! Video it, and post it here! Sweet huh?
1/16/13 10:54 PM
trent205
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DeuceDroppin - Bro I'd say that you are probably Gracie JJ brown belt level. Here's what you need to do. Get your friend to test you, print a certificate, and go enter a tournament at said level to show off your sweet techniques! Video it, and post it here! Sweet huh?
Lol I like this guy :) Phone Post
3/6/13 10:24 AM
NTXMMAjunky
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Contact Ari. He can help you with this Phone Post
3/6/13 6:39 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Put on a BB and open a school.

Just say Rickson gave it to you, no one would dare challenge a Rickson BB.

3/7/13 2:16 PM
X_Rated
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gold

3/14/13 5:53 PM
FanToFighter
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I've learned one thing here, is don't be stuck in a special situation with your training. You will be called troll, and everyone will tell you belts don't matter up until someone thinks there is a fake black belt. Then that shit matters like no other! Phone Post
3/29/13 3:23 PM
Jeon Sa
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DeuceDroppin - Bro I'd say that you are probably Gracie JJ brown belt level. Here's what you need to do. Get your friend to test you, print a certificate, and go enter a tournament at said level to show off your sweet techniques! Video it, and post it here! Sweet huh?
Ahahahahahaha VTFU Phone Post 3.0
3/29/13 8:16 PM
RichiePoor
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My advice to you is to find out where all the black belts that you've been "holding your own with" train at and make a list of those places so that when you do finally sign up for jiu jitsu you can make sure to NOT sign up at any of those gyms Phone Post 3.0
8/24/13 3:43 AM
whiteponey

Bahahaha gold! Phone Post
9/21/13 7:27 PM
ArvoreGigante
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the bigger question here is if you've actually been training for four years then why haven't you started training for real somewhere? It's not like there isn't a school within driving distance if there's somewhere you've been finding these black belts (?) To roll with. Phone Post
9/23/13 12:51 AM
elbigsam
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Id talk to one of the local instructors about it. They may be willing to work something out. Its important to understand that when they give you rank, you represent their brand of jiujitsu. Meaning that if you train somewhere else and stink it up, it reflects poorly on whomever gave you rank.

When you ask to be ranked under someone, they may be pretty cool about it, or they may want you to sign up for regular classes.

One thing that never fails is that the people who dont train at a gym regularly always seem to vastly overrate their prowess on the mat. Grappling is the death of ego, if you are at it regularly, you get tapped regularly. Hell, i almost got armbarred by a whitebelt a couple of days ago, just deal with it and move on. Phone Post
10/24/13 1:41 PM
Ray Cappa

NTXMMAjunky - Contact Ari. He can help you with this Phone Post
YES! YES! YES! Phone Post 3.0
10/30/13 9:31 AM
Czer
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blue belt here. Holding your own with a legit Black Belt means nothing. I'd say 90% of the time I've rolled with my Professor or other Brown/Black belts they're trying new things and not looking for the sub.

When they turn it up, game over brah.

Join a legit BJJ club and see what the Professor thinks.

We had a guy who won several North American Nogi Absolute titles join our gym as a White belt in the Gi.

The Professor said he's worthy of a Brown/Purple next grading but he wants to give him a few months for obvious reasons. Phone Post 3.0
11/19/13 1:47 PM
Blackbeltpanda
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Join a school, train, get promoted Phone Post 3.0
3/29/14 3:38 AM
44 Magnum
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to a BJJ gym wearing a Rampage Jackson chain around your neck. This is very important for credibility amongst the true BJJ community.

Ask the instructor if you come out to the music of your choice when the class starts.

You'll be good.
3/30/14 6:40 AM
random_muppett
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Op.... Ever get tested/ranked? Phone Post 3.0
3/30/14 11:28 PM
Czer
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ask the TKD black belts you've been "holding your own" with if you're ready for your yellow stripe.

Good luck Royler Jr. Phone Post 3.0
3/31/14 11:50 AM
FlowWithTheGo
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bro join a gym Phone Post 3.0
4/18/14 7:27 AM
fullguard

In order to be a blue belt yo must try strangle at least 1 person (Purple belt or higher) with your belt and walk out of the gym with all limbs in tact
4/19/14 3:54 AM
Bisping'sLazyEye
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And rape a lion. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 3:58 AM
Jitz93
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just join a gym. They will provide you with the appropriate belt eventually Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 7:11 PM
getgettinsomeread

Do you also posses DEVASTATING POWER? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.