UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Final word on LISS cardio

1/14/13 5:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OneGloveJimmerson
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Calling all S&C fitness aficionados! I'd like to hear your thoughts on the usefulness of low intensity steady state cardio (LISS). I know most fitness gurus will say HIIT is the only way to go and that you'll burn more calories throughout the day but should its headline grabbing presence be enough to say LISS is an out of date time waster? Even worse is LISS a muscle waster?

I ask because I have a small gym connected to my apartment which makes it relatively easy to wake up in the morning and head over to rack up 40 mins of low intensity on the stationary bike or elliptical. I like to do this because its a great aid to my calorie deficit while dieting and it doesn't wear me out so I can still hit my real gym to lift heavy.
1/14/13 7:35 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a big fan of listening to your body. Although I do most of my cardio work in what endurance folks call zone 2 (below lactate threshold, or all day pace), I do both intervals *AND* low intensity stuff as well particularly for recovery days and days when I just don't feel like beating myself up.

If you're dieting down, cutting weight, etc... and just need to burn some cals then go for it. Pros are low impact, easy on the CNS and can aid recovery. The con you mentioned, it's not a lot of expenditure given the time.
1/14/13 9:26 PM
OneGloveJimmerson
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for your input! Any thoughts on whether or not it would hurt/help my cutting to do the LISS fasted? I heard opinions ranging from (you're not raising your heart rate enough to be catabolic) to (you'll eat you're muscles up big time)
1/15/13 4:29 AM
Chocolate Shatner
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The idea that most "fitness gurus" say ONLY HIIT is honestly a marketing line of crap.

There is a place for HIIT. There is a place for LISS training as well.
1/15/13 11:13 AM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although I am known as a "H.I.I.T." guy, I agree with this 100%

"There is a place for HIIT. There is a place for LISS training as well."

TAKU

1/15/13 12:10 PM
disbeliever
466 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
The only downside to LISS is how damn long it takes.

IMHO the biggest reward to LISS is that you don't need the recovery you do from HIIT, and that to me is wonderful. I don't always get a good nights sleep, so if I hit the weights and do too much HIIT, its counter productive and my body actually starts breaking down
1/15/13 1:13 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OneGloveJimmerson - Thanks for your input! Any thoughts on whether or not it would hurt/help my cutting to do the LISS fasted? I heard opinions ranging from (you're not raising your heart rate enough to be catabolic) to (you'll eat you're muscles up big time)

Really I can't tell you either way whether it'll help or hurt muscle mass loss. My advice (for what that's worth as some random dude on a forum) is to just track LBM weekly and adjust. There are some tools for doing it, I know Berardi's precision nutrition site had a tool for it, I'm sure there are spreadsheets or iphone apps out there somewhere for LBM over time.
1/15/13 2:54 PM
The Gunslinger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a high intensity guy, but both options are useful as a part of an overall plan. It is never one or the other.
1/15/13 3:26 PM
OneGloveJimmerson

Thanks for the responses everybody, Anymore thoughts on the effects of doing LISS fasted?

I only ask because its much easier on the o'l stomach to just do the 40 mins then eat but i'll try to avoid it if will dramatically increase catabolism while cutting.
1/15/13 4:57 PM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/15/13 8:04 PM
I think a lot of the folks on here are always thinking in terms of High Performance. But for the majority of people out there, they want to know how much do they need to be healthy. Turns out not too much.

The truth is it does not need to be long to be effective. Steady state cardio has been proven to be effective for bouts as short as 10 minutes. Again one must ask what is the goal? For health improvement or maintenance, 3, 10-minute sessions per week is all that is needed. My personal experience is that one still gets more out of staying at the higher end of the training zone than the lower end. Again this is with brief bouts in mind.

For most of my clients I shoot for 10-12 minutes at a HR between 140-160 BPM.

TAKU
1/15/13 6:36 PM
The Gunslinger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Totally agree with Taku.
1/16/13 7:56 AM
Wiggy
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something else to keep in mind is that it doesn't have (nor, IMO, should it) be to one extreme or the other.  Just because you're doing distance aerobic training doesn't mean it has to be slow as shit or, as Taku pointed out, last for an enternity.  You can do faster aerobic training as well that won't blast your CNS like HIIT would.  So instead of doing your steady-state work slowly for 45-60 mins, go for only 15-20 mins, and but go at a decent clip.

Interval training doesn't have to be balls out, either.  You can do tempo intervals that have you going at a fast, yet not maximal pace for more rounds than a normal HIIT workout would have you do.  Joel Jamieson's new 8-Weeks Out TV episode shows Tim Boetsch doing them at 70-75% for 10 secs, then walking for 60 secs.  I've had people going for 30-35 secs then (active) resting 20-25 secs, albeit at a lower intensity still, to burn more calories for weight loss for quite a while.

Nothing says you have to be at either end of the spectrum.

And as an aside, I think the calories burned throughout the day via EPOC brought about by interval training is largely overrated, anyway.  Sure it will burn a few extra calories, but not the staggering amount most people have been led to believe.  Besides, I'm of the opinion that most average folks don't have the physical nor mental capacity to work at such an intense level to make HIIT truly effective, anyway.  This is why I'm a fan of tempo intervals - not HIIT.

(Now, if you have the capability to do true HIIT in the fashion it's meant to be done in, then I dig it.  But most people don't.)

Though if body composition changes are your main goal, then you're better off focusing on diet (rather than which cardio is best), anyway.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

1/16/13 10:29 AM
disbeliever
466 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I don't know if it is true or exists at all, but I am a firm believer now in adrenal and CNS burn out.
1/16/13 10:51 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OneGloveJimmerson - Thanks for the responses everybody, Anymore thoughts on the effects of doing LISS fasted?

I only ask because its much easier on the o'l stomach to just do the 40 mins then eat but i'll try to avoid it if will dramatically increase catabolism while cutting.

It depends on the intensity. Something like a brisk walk will aid in fat loss if you are doing it fasted. But higher intensities burn more fat if you have eaten something

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.