UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> The only thing Chinese in JKD is the Name

1/14/13 8:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
markijkd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ted Wong once told me that the only thing Chinese in JKD is the name:)

Your Thoughts?
1/15/13 6:06 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool statement from Ted Wong. I think it is largely true.

What comes to mind immediately are the use of formal Chinese titles (sigung, sifu, simo, etc.) by some, the use of Chinese names for many of the traps/blocks and strikes (again, by some), and my memory isn't all that good but didn't someone once remark that being Chinese was an advantage in the system? Either in terms of what Bruce taught him or in terms of physical attributes to absorb/reproduce Bruce's teachings?
1/16/13 12:34 AM
markijkd

What I learned from TW was that although existing "styles" were an early resource for BL, that his Latter Stage developments were from applying geometry, physics and kinesiology:)
1/16/13 1:25 PM
jrrrrr
369 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I did JKD decades ago, we were required to know the chinese names of the techniques when we did jun fan training. More to the point, once you get away from the jun fan training and more into a jkd matrix, there are few chinese MA involved.

the normal matrix is usually muay thai (maybe savate) for kicking. this leads to boxing (maybe some type of panatukan) for punching. FMA and bastardized wing chun for trapping. Bjj and others for grappling. So one MA out of the matrix is "chinese."
Now it doesn't have to be the case. I like tai chi chuan. I've been playing with it for years and I think it teaches some great standing grappling skills. This would be part of my personal JKD within the trapping range. If someone trained heavily in pakua, pakmei, whatever...have at it. Play with it with other MA and make it part of your personal JKD....

I guess this leads into other threads of...what is jkd, what isn't jkd, and of course...never train after eating cheetos and when are twinkies coming back....
1/16/13 2:28 PM
Stickgrappler
1941 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

digression: i'm told twinkies are available in canada
1/16/13 6:26 PM
jrrrrr
369 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bow down to stickgrapplers knowledge of twinkies...
1/17/13 4:28 PM
Stickgrappler
1941 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As I to you on your knowledge of Cheetos...
1/22/13 3:38 AM
mulder68
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are elements of wing chun in JKD Phone Post
1/23/13 2:11 AM
FatBuddha
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only the name and most of the major principles.
1/24/13 1:35 AM
Paul Hopkins
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cantonese Phone Post
1/24/13 5:25 AM
markijkd

Flied Lice You Fuckin Plick:)
2/2/13 8:07 AM
PTM2020
1350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Jeet Kune Do is American."

-Kareem Abdul Jabbar

2/3/13 2:55 AM
Majic Sam
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Supposedly,early 70's Bruce felt that he could take care of most situations with W.C.

All that aside,it wouldn't matter where he was from.He would still be the same old Bruce.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.