UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Help me with a kettlebell workout

1/14/13 8:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm just interested in something completely different for the next 6 weeks. I have some kettlebell experience but not enough to put together a proper routine. So lead me in the right direction of a program site or make one up for me that might be good.

I have access to a gym with all different size bells, from5 pounds to over 100 (at least I saw a 100lber).

Thanks

1/14/13 11:44 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/15/13 2:33 PM

IMHO start with the RKC "Program Minimum"

2x/week: do sets of KB swings, alternated with light jogging (used as active recovery until you're hr gets back down to <130) for 12 minutes.

2x/week: do KB getups alternating grip each rep for 5 min. straight.

1/15/13 10:21 PM
cycklops
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you sir

1/17/13 5:29 PM
bull neck
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK, I'll bite. For reference I'm a senior RKC. Tell me what bells you've got and give me an idea of skill level. What can you press and for how many? Are you ok with double bells? What lifts do you know?
1/17/13 6:08 PM
cycklops

I'd say I'm an absolute beginner with only having done the basics with a 35lb bell (single.) 

1/24/13 4:26 PM
fanat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
1/24/13 6:46 PM
Tilla

What are the benefits of KB Swings?
1/25/13 9:59 AM
fanat

If I'm completely new to KB swings what weight should I start with?
1/26/13 11:56 AM
cycklops

what happened to bull neck?

1/26/13 6:36 PM
sockeye
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For you kettlebell pro's do you think it's good for fat burning? My goal is weightloss.

I own 1 35lbs, 2 2lbs..... I do a shit load of kettlebell swings, and squats any other things pertinent to kettlebells I should being doing for fatloss??? Phone Post
1/26/13 10:45 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - What are the benefits of KB Swings?

Swings are a good way to work hips, glutes, lower back to develop power/endurance, more to the endurance side of the spectrum. Studies often compare them equally with jump squats.

1/26/13 10:52 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

fanat - If I'm completely new to KB swings what weight should I start with?

The 24kg is the std for avg men, but some also prefer to work up from the 16kg. I have a 32kg for the big boys.

1/26/13 10:53 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

sockeye -  For you kettlebell pro's do you think it's good for fat burning? My goal is weightloss.

I own 1 35lbs, 2 2lbs..... I do a shit load of kettlebell swings, and squats any other things pertinent to kettlebells I should being doing for fatloss??? Phone Post

Sure it's just a tool. It's not the tool that creates the fat loss it's how you use it. - using a circuit, or intervals. plenty of examples of these on the interwebs.

1/27/13 1:23 AM
bull neck
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry - thought this thread had died.

The Program Minimum suggestion is good. In it's original format it is simply alternating days of 5mins of get ups with a day of swings/ active recovery. The key about it though is it is the "program minimum", the absolute smallest amount of exercise you should be doing. So let's rev it up a bit:

I love get ups. We start every class with 15mins of get ups. People think this is a beginner exercise but imagine doing a rep every minute of get ups with a 48kg bell. (That's 106lbs to you Yankees). Not so much a beginner exercise now. So suggestion 1 is 15-20mins of get ups just alternating doing one rep at a time on each side. Don't try to hit a certain number or do them fast. Just do them.

Then I'd finish with an A/B split deal alternating the next two ideas each workout -

A: Alternate swings and push ups. Two hand swings with the 16kg for tens will get easy quickly so my advice is to do one hand swings for 10L/ 10R and then 10 push ups. As you're on here I would recommend Hindu or Dive Bomber push ups as I think the rigidity of the swing and the fluidity of the hindu push up work well together. Do this for 20mins. When you can hit either 100 two hand swings and 100 push ups in the 20mins (or even better 200 one hand swings and 100 push ups) buy a heavier bell. For reference when I work with BJJ guys we use this as a marker workout and I expect them to hit that with a 24kg before we even worry about anything more complicated.

B: Follow the same format but substitute goblet squats instead of push ups. Still sets of 10. When you can get 100+ 100 in 20mins people will be asking if you're on the Lance Armstrong program for your conditioning.

If you do this A/B thing twice per week each until you hit those numbers with a 24kg you'll be in pretty good shape. With a 32kg it becomes really interesting. If you use a32kg for one hand swings then a difficult push up variation, like one hand dands (if anyone remembers them from Scrapper's excellent Mod1 workouts) it's amazing. So don't think of it as a beginner workout. Hell, even if you just did 20mins of get ups with the 48kg and then 10 one hand swings on the minute for 20mins with it you'd be a near superman (and likely crush people's heads with your grip strength).

Re - fat loss: ACE did a study showing swings burn 1200 cals/ hour which is quite high. For reference I did a VO2 max test about two weeks ago and at my LT I only burn 1064/ hr for running so not sure how accurate their testing was. My point though is that as has been said - they will work for fat loss, however as always, the number one thing for fat loss is don't put shit in your pie hole in the first place.
1/27/13 7:48 AM
Tilla

Bull_in_chinashop - 
Tilla - What are the benefits of KB Swings?

Swings are a good way to work hips, glutes, lower back to develop power/endurance, more to the endurance side of the spectrum. Studies often compare them equally with jump squats.

Thanks for the reply ;-)
1/27/13 12:53 PM
fanat

Bull_in_chinashop -

The 24kg is the std for avg men, but some also prefer to work up from the 16kg. I have a 32kg for the big boys.

Thanks for the answers. I will start out with 16kg. I am afraid of giving myself a back injury. Phone Post
1/27/13 4:31 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

fanat - 
Bull_in_chinashop -

Thanks for the answers. I will start out with 16kg. I am afraid of giving myself a back injury. Phone Post

sounds like a practical idea. And if/when that bell gets too light for doubles, you can begin to do one handed swings until you get a 24kg. This is the progression I always recommend to my fighters.

bullnecks plan is pretty spot on - 20 min at a high pace will be perfect for working the anaerobic threshold and the variety will keep muscular fatigue from getting in the way (after you've worked up to this level of effort. again I highly recommend the PM as a Starting point if you're unfamiliar.)

1/27/13 8:02 PM
fanat

Bull_in_chinashop - 
fanat - 
Bull_in_chinashop -

sounds like a practical idea. And if/when that bell gets too light for doubles, you can begin to do one handed swings until you get a 24kg. This is the progression I always recommend to my fighters.

bullnecks plan is pretty spot on - 20 min at a high pace will be perfect for working the anaerobic threshold and the variety will keep muscular fatigue from getting in the way (after you've worked up to this level of effort. again I highly recommend the PM as a Starting point if you're unfamiliar.)

Thanks for the advice again.

I downloaded tons of material on kettle bell workouts. I will definitely start out with program minimum. I already did some swings this morning and my ass is sore!

I am not weak by any means but I don't have a huge frame. I'm short and stocky and I don't have huge wrists so I am trying to stay away from injuries as much as I can.
1/28/13 12:17 AM
Bull_in_chinashop

Since this have become the non-official "everything kettlebell" thread, I thought I'd pass on some of my own hard-earned experience to those who might find it useful.

For years I was doing swings wrong. No kidding, I had been to 2 seminars, trained with a few "experienced" people etc and I happened to stumble across Mark Reifkind's video blog. Rif loves swings and I watched a vid and noticed how different his swing form was from what I thought I "knew". I watched a few more vids from Pavel and Dan John and  it confirmed how wrong I was.

The problem: I was doing swings like a squat motion, using my legs, bending my knees slighly above parallel, letting the bell swing well below my knees. No wonder I wasn't getting the fuss about them.

I changed my form to hinge at the hips, ripping the bell down and back up with much straighter knees. Big difference! I went from using a 32kg back down to 16kg until I got my form down and stayed at 24kg for quite a while. (When we do explosive work, we now "overclock" the swings with a partner, which is kinda like making the swing a plyometric exercises.)

1/28/13 12:37 AM
bull neck

Horses for courses BiC. Pick the swing/ hinge movement that suits your training needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPz_jfs83yc
1/29/13 5:19 PM
Crw
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
1/29/13 10:47 PM
Ned Ryerson
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bull_in_chinashop -

Since this have become the non-official "everything kettlebell" thread, I thought I'd pass on some of my own hard-earned experience to those who might find it useful.

For years I was doing swings wrong. No kidding, I had been to 2 seminars, trained with a few "experienced" people etc and I happened to stumble across Mark Reifkind's video blog. Rif loves swings and I watched a vid and noticed how different his swing form was from what I thought I "knew". I watched a few more vids from Pavel and Dan John and  it confirmed how wrong I was.

The problem: I was doing swings like a squat motion, using my legs, bending my knees slighly above parallel, letting the bell swing well below my knees. No wonder I wasn't getting the fuss about them.

I changed my form to hinge at the hips, ripping the bell down and back up with much straighter knees. Big difference! I went from using a 32kg back down to 16kg until I got my form down and stayed at 24kg for quite a while. (When we do explosive work, we now "overclock" the swings with a partner, which is kinda like making the swing a plyometric exercises.)

Same here. For years I was doing more of the squat type swing. Once I started doing the hip hinge style there was no looking back. Phone Post
2/3/13 6:35 AM
El_Varaco
298 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
2/5/13 2:42 PM
Daredevil73
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like the Viking Warrior Conditioning program.
2/6/13 3:01 PM
comstock2491

By no means am I the most qualified, but this is the routine I have been doing.

3 X 10 Suitcase Rows
3 X 10 Trunk Rotations
4 X 10 Swings (alternate between one and two handed)
3 x 50 Chest Presses
3 X 10 Push Presses
3 X 15 Towel Curls
3 X 15 Tricep Extensions
3 X 10 Sidebends

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.