UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Sparring with or without head gear?

1/14/13 10:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chael Sonnen Money
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I usually go without, but after a few incidents, I'm considering switching out to using headgear. What did you usually do? Phone Post
1/15/13 5:12 PM
TwoCanVanneDamne
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never wear head gear. I'm not sure that's a good thing though, or smart, but I prefer it Phone Post
1/17/13 5:16 PM
Joe_Drogan420
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sometimes it hurts worse with headgear because the force of the blow is distributed across your whole head instead of one point of impact.
1/19/13 10:31 AM
Sort891
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you hv a comp coming up, the hg will help protect you from cuts... Not sure it helps me w getting my bell rung, tho. Phone Post
1/21/13 11:07 AM
HEMAN
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was younger WITHOUT. Now that I'm older...WITH. It's more to protect my nose. I have a bloody nose everytime it struck. Started using a poly carbon cage. Looks cheesy as hell to wear but it's better than bleeding all over the mat.
1/22/13 4:54 PM
X_Rated
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always headgear. I hate how it impedes vision, but it forces you to be more technical with the head movement. Not to mention you want to protect your cpu

1/22/13 7:00 PM
OneScoup

Wear headgear. You're risking a nast cut without. Once you get cut the scar tissue doesn't grow back as strong and is likely to tear again, possibly causing problems when u fight. No reason to risk this with sparring.
1/23/13 9:14 AM
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

X_Rated - 

Always headgear. I hate how it impedes vision, but it forces you to be more technical with the head movement. Not to mention you want to protect your cpu

Headgear doesn't actually protect your brain from impact, it's more to stop cuts than anything else.
1/23/13 9:16 AM
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Having said that, i don't like the look of cauliflower ears, so i tend to wear headgear as often as possible when playing full contact sports.
1/23/13 12:26 PM
X_Rated
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIRC there is a study proving that headgear does not protect you from rotational force.. ie hooks, but will lessen the impact from linear strikes. I'll take what I can get

1/23/13 6:12 PM
martinburke
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Headgear doesn't actually protect your brain from impact, it's more to stop cuts than anything else."

+1

"IIRC there is a study proving that headgear does not protect you from rotational force.. ie hooks"

I always felt that was true in my experience

I always wore the smallest headgear I could find. Open-faced, no cheek pads, and as thin as I could find. The regular headgear made me raise my head too much, and they also tended to partially catch punches that I would have slipped without headgear.
1/24/13 8:28 AM
jw234
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone on the Mythbusters site shredded me to pieces when I asked whether headgear might not actually protect the brain from damage. Phone Post
1/24/13 9:12 AM
martinburke
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I've noticed about boxing discussions on the internet: there are tons of people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about, but have no problem telling you that you're wrong.
1/24/13 10:00 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The evidence is still inconclusive regarding headgear and brain damage. We have studies on amature boxers showing brain damage but the force development studies show no damage with linear punches

But personally wearing headgear makes me feel "safer" and turns up the heat, whatever possible damage mitigated by the headgear could easily be overshined by harder shots thrown

Making sure the gloves are good and the right size + vaseline is better atleast for me

1/24/13 10:15 AM
X_Rated

I think it's dangerous to assume you are safer with headgear on. I've been caught in that trap... After a few rounds and you're tired you think I won't try to defend the next punch ill just walk through it and counter. Not saying you're as dumb as I am, just saying that's a lesson I only needed to experience once to learn from Phone Post
1/24/13 10:47 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Then you misinterpreted what i said. Im not saying people stick their chins out and forget defense while wearing headgear. Im saying they hit harder because they think the headgear is protecting them from brain damage

1/24/13 11:53 AM
X_Rated

Gokudamus stole my name - Then you misinterpreted what i said. Im not saying people stick their chins out and forget defense while wearing headgear. Im saying they hit harder because they think the headgear is protecting them from brain damage

Oh no I got what you meant... I just added a slightly irrelevent aside based on my own personal experiences over the years

1/26/13 12:11 AM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Question: if you don't compete, is head gear worth it? I'm not ever going to be Ina situation where I'll get a fight stopped from a cut (and I definitely see a difference in how often I would get punched when I had headgear on). Phone Post
1/26/13 12:17 AM
Chael Sonnen Money

I'd assume so, scar tissue is still scar tissue. And it should help prevent bad bruising. Phone Post
2/3/13 10:34 AM
tiger07
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always thought that headgear can provide extra torsion from a blow, meaning that it can actually enhance the brain rattle to a degree. It can have a sticking effect with the glove, giving it a brief amount of extra traction. Also broadens the area of the head affected. Great for cut mitigation, though.
2/3/13 4:10 PM
banco

Gokudamus stole my name - The evidence is still inconclusive regarding headgear and brain damage. We have studies on amature boxers showing brain damage but the force development studies show no damage with linear punches

But personally wearing headgear makes me feel "safer" and turns up the heat, whatever possible damage mitigated by the headgear could easily be overshined by harder shots thrown

Making sure the gloves are good and the right size + vaseline is better atleast for me

Would surprise me if headgear did much given that football helmets aren't of much assistance and they are of course much bulkier.
2/4/13 1:36 AM
Chappie
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always hated headgear and felt like it simply made my head an oversized target. On countless occassions, I felt like I had slipped a shot only to get clipped on an edge of the headgear. As an old man now, I refuse to wear headgear on the rare occassions when I spar. Phone Post
2/25/13 3:38 PM
Topsyjt
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Headgear shouldn't impair vision guys. Main job is to stop you getting cut. Grab some proper fitting headgear y'all be ok. Always spar with. If you get cut... You can't fight... Can't fight means don't get paid. Phone Post
2/28/13 8:24 AM
ANT_P1989
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Head Gear ONLY protects you from being CUT.

If you're wearing Head Gear, I'm pretty sure Mike Tyson could still crush your skull. Lol Phone Post
2/28/13 6:01 PM
Topsyjt
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bozy -
Topsyjt - Headgear shouldn't impair vision guys. Main job is to stop you getting cut. Grab some proper fitting headgear y'all be ok. Always spar with. If you get cut... You can't fight... Can't fight means don't get paid. Phone Post
I'm not a pro, headgear fits good but when I get sweaty and get jabbed it twists alittle there for imparing my vision alittle. If I was a pro is deff use it Phone Post
Bozy, try wearing a swear band on your head. Don't laugh it actually works :-) Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.