UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dream Match rarely discussed - Couture v Anderson?

1/15/13 12:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Galanis
1211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was watching my old Couture fights and got to thinking - would the Randy who fought Chuck, Vitor, etc, be able to beat Anderson? The will of this man is up there with anyone I have seen. In my years of being an MMA fan I have never seen this one particular fight hypothesized too much. Randy brought up an interesting point on the round table show once, about how Chael set the game plan to beat Anderson. You'd have to think that Couture has 10x the durability and heart of Chael, as well as an amazing skill set.

Could Randy pressure Anderson enough in his prime to get the decision win? Would he have been caught in that triangle if he was put in the same situation? I really do not think so. Anderson is BY FAR my current favorite active fighter, but for some reason thinking about this match up intrigued me. Couture is that guy.. Not the most stellar Win/Loss record in the sport, but he was fueled by being the under dog and pulled off the impossible many times.

I know automatically people are going to dismiss this as both fantasy and a squash match, but for those who watched Randy pull off the impossible in the moment (and not after the fact), how do YOU feel Randy would have done against Silva? Let's even say the same Randy who fought Napao.

One thing I do believe that would sway the fight in Anderson's favor is Couture's style of wrestling. The way he likes to clinch could back fire and I don't know if his top control was as good as Chael's.

TL;DR - Who wins Prime Randy or Prime Andy? Would love to hear some knowledgeable, old school UGer's weigh in on this.

1/15/13 12:09 PM
Galanis
1211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just for the record.. I think Anderson wins via TKO in the clinch. Just my opinion but I think if that fight did happen in say, 2007, Randy could have done the impossible. Just maybe. Never doubt the Natural

1/15/13 12:10 PM
FCFBlazer
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha no Phone Post
1/15/13 12:10 PM
Galanis

pitbu11y -  Anderson would mop the floor with Randy! Phone Post

While it's easy to say so in retrospect, in the time frame I am referring to I feel like the fight may have been a toss up, with a slight odds advantage going to Anderson. Figure they'd fight at 205 back then

1/15/13 12:15 PM
Galanis

FCFBlazer -  Haha no Phone Post

Thanks for adding so much to the discussion. I forgot it's 2013 and the UG. I doubt there will be any responses that include actual fight talk. I'd love for people who were around the sport and remember Randy's legacy to at least weigh in on the possibilites of this fight. Why is it so hard to hve a legitamate discussion about the sport these days unless some bullshit drama is involved.. or stupid meme pictures..

1/15/13 12:15 PM
sacredhate
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think OP raises a good point.

Chael basically lost both of his fights because he diverged from his winning strategy and got fancy or sloppy.

Randy was better i the clinch, tireless in the grind, and used half guard from top position.

If the Randy who fought and beat Chuck was around today it would be one hell of a fight.
1/15/13 12:16 PM
RTARDO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RC isnt half the boxeer chael is. But rc would win to my bemusement.
1/15/13 12:16 PM
Galanis

pitbu11y - 
Galanis -
pitbu11y -  Anderson would mop the floor with Randy! Phone Post

While it's easy to say so in retrospect, in the time frame I am referring to I feel like the fight may have been a toss up, with a slight odds advantage going to Anderson. Figure they'd fight at 205 back then

Anderson is on another level compared to Randy! Phone Post

He is also on another level than Chael, but Chael came pretty damn close to pulling off the impossible. And I don't think Chael is anywhere near the level of Couture.  Anyone can be beaten on any given night and Randy was the master of game plans. I do agree with you all though, I think Anderson would have won. But to just laugh and act like Randy would be slaughtered (in his prime) guaranteed shows no respect for the man.

1/15/13 12:17 PM
RTARDO

1/15/13 12:17 PM
RTARDO

1/15/13 12:18 PM
Galanis

Think about it like this too. How many people thought Fabricio would beat Fedor? Looking back now, there were definitely signs of Fedor slowing down. But at the time I think just about NOBODY expected that to happen. With the right tools, the right game plans, and a little luck with the stars aligning, anything can happen in MMA. That's what makes it the best sport in the world.

1/15/13 12:22 PM
ortman166

Lol Anderson would kill him Phone Post
1/15/13 12:22 PM
ortman166

Anderson should have fought randy when he was hw champ. That would have been sick Phone Post
1/15/13 12:24 PM
Ip Man 81

Anderson via swirly Phone Post
1/15/13 12:25 PM
Galanis

Yeah I am not talking about a fight right now if you read my post. I am just stating the much over used prime vs prime matchup deal. Think about when Randy dumped a 240 pound Gonzaga on his head and smashed his entire face. If he clinched with Andy, does Andy stop that take down?

Or does Andy go all Rich Franklin, create distance and grab the plum? I just feel like this match up (at a certain period in time) would have been one hell of a fight.

1/15/13 12:36 PM
chupecabre
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Randy in his prime is a better version of Sonnen. I think he would have had a decent chance. He did amazing things. Would still have to pick Silva though.
1/15/13 12:47 PM
Sudo21
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could be interesting. Henderson had success against Silva in first round, and Randy is bigger ans IMO uses clinch better than Hendo.

But to win a fight, he needs to smother Anderson for five rounds(or at least three, and survive another two) and i doubt he would be able to do that.

Fun fight, but Anderson by TKO.
1/15/13 12:55 PM
Galanis

Edited: 01/15/13 12:55 PM

Interesting to hear people weigh in on this, and I notice the last two posts are by accounts that have been here quite a while. Most of the two-three sentence replies in here saying "LOL ANDY BY KO" are usually from 2011 and beyond. I wish people would not chime in on discussions like this unless they have actually bore witness to the careers and time frame here.

It seems the consensus would be Anderson, but people who have seen and know the greatness of Randy Couture certainly realize he was a much better fighter than Chael.

Let me just drop a few names, Buster Douglas, Fabricio Werdum, Matt Serra, Gabe Gonzaga, Foreman (vs Moorer), Randy himself plenty of times. The point is, everybody loses. Anyone can be beaten on a certain night. I think a prime Randy could be a handful for anyone. Styles make fights, and so does the way a fighter shows up on fight night. I don't think he should be so easily discredited and even mocked when considered in this match up.

Still, I think Anderson wins

1/15/13 1:02 PM
Ip Man 81

Galanis -

Interesting to hear people weigh in on this, and I notice the last two posts are by accounts that have been here quite a while. Most of the two-three sentence replies in here saying "LOL ANDY BY KO" are usually from 2011 and beyond. I wish people would not chime in on discussions like this unless they have actually bore witness to the careers and time frame here.

It seems the consensus would be Anderson, but people who have seen and know the greatness of Randy Couture certainly realize he was a much better fighter than Chael.

Let me just drop a few names, Buster Douglas, Fabricio Werdum, Matt Serra, Gabe Gonzaga, Foreman (vs Moorer), Randy himself plenty of times. The point is, everybody loses. Anyone can be beaten on a certain night. I think a prime Randy could be a handful for anyone. Styles make fights, and so does the way a fighter shows up on fight night. I don't think he should be so easily discredited and even mocked when considered in this match up.

There's nothing wrong with any of the posts above, maybe where I put swirly may have been out there a bit but that was a joke. There is a simple answer to your wishes, just ignore the posts u don't like, very simple. Phone Post
1/15/13 1:14 PM
Galanis

Yeah it's not that, its just that somtimes the UG can have a thread with a few pages of all intelligent discussion, or the same thread can turn into answers from people whose posts don't really contribute much more than a yes or no answer. It can be frustrating when you are looking to discuss a passion of yours and the forum to do so is over infested with people who don't talk anything outside of Ronda Rousey or Jon Jones

1/15/13 1:26 PM
Death Beast

Galanis - 

I get your frustration but do you truly believe that everyone with a later join date just started watching MMA the day before they signed up here? I know it's a funny joke to say sometimes, but you seriously assume that to be the case?
If so then you really shouldn't be surprised at how narrowminded people can be.
1/15/13 1:32 PM
Death Beast

And IMO, a prime Randy definitely had the style to give Anderson fits. Look at his wins vs. Rizzo, Liddell, and Belfort who were all beasts at the time and you'll see how dominant he could be when he came in with the right gameplan.
The only people that gave prime Randy problems were other grapplers who were larger than him. Other than that all of his losses were by submission and some of those looked shady anyway.
I don't see Anderson getting top position to land any GNP and Randy had a hell of a chin so he'd be able to close the distance.
Maybe his only shot would have been a decision since he kinda had the same problem as Chael with his GNP not always being the most damaging, but he wouldn't have deviated from that plan like Henderson did or gotten sloppy like Chael.
1/15/13 1:33 PM
MachidasStraightLeft
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say we see a repeat of the Machida fight.

1/15/13 1:38 PM
Death Beast

MachidasStraightLeft - 

I'd say we see a repeat of the Machida fight.

That wasn't 'Prime' Randy and Machida's TDD > Anderson's
1/15/13 4:32 PM
UGCTT_Shope
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've always thought that a prime Randy would be one that could possibly beat the Spider. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.