UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rampage: "I'm sponsored by Reebok, UFC wont"

1/15/13 3:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sgotwalks
1630 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 
sgotwalks - 
12SixElbow - 

The UFC is working with Nike... So, no reebok or adidas.

Is the UFC working with Nike? I realize Nikey has sponsored Jones, but do they also sponsor the UFC directly? I haven't spotted Nike logos on the canvas or cage yet...........not saying they don't, I am just asking, because if they in fact do not sponsor the UFC like Bud Lite and Harley Davidson do, then there is zero conflict between Nike and Reebok both sponsoring fighters.

It seems pretty obvious to me.

You don't see fighters getting sponsored by Victory Motorcycles do you?

Or by Coors Light? The UFC isn't going to let the big guys advertising get conflicted with.

I assume since they sponsor several UFC fighters, that they are working with the UFC in some aspect.

Why else would the UFC care about Reebok?

Something is missing from this conjecture. If they do not sponsor the UFC directly then there is no conflict. Tapout sponsors fighters..........does the UFC give a shit if Tapout's competitive brands sponsor different fighters? No. If Nike is no more than a Jon Jones sponsored brand, why would the UFC give a shit if Reebok sponsored a different fighter? 

Your analogy on Victory motorcycles is a moot point unless we know if in fact the UFC is sponsored by Nike directly. If not, then they should want as many of the big boy sponsors as they can get to dabble in fighter sponsorship, and hopefully wet their appetites so they will want to tie in to the organization at a higher level, hence a bidding war down the road.

1/15/13 3:34 PM
mister_sticks
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember reading that Nike bought Reebok sometime ago but chose to retain its name and identity to get a bigger share of the market...

Could be wrong... Phone Post
1/15/13 3:35 PM
likatiga
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obviously the Nike deal has exclusivity.

Somebody at Reebok fucked up if they sponsored Rampage without first making sure he could rep them at UFC events.
1/15/13 3:36 PM
ALAR88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad to see my guy Rampage's UFC run end like this...
1/15/13 3:37 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
587 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

likatiga - Obviously the Nike deal has exclusivity.

Somebody at Reebok fucked up if they sponsored Rampage without first making sure he could rep them at UFC events.
It wouldn't be exclusive, probably would only ban Reebok and Adidas.

You know there is zero chance the UFC tells GSP he's no longer sponsored by Under Armor Phone Post
1/15/13 3:40 PM
Holmes0
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adidas owns Reebok
1/15/13 3:41 PM
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drunkenirishfc - 
Carla Esparza #1 Fan -

I hope to just really piss Rampage off, Glover lay n prays him for the first 2 1/2 rounds, and then just heel hooks him or something totally nasty like that.  It would make my day.

Wow you must be a very bitter person Phone Post

No not really, I actually used to be a big Rampage fan.  But lately he's become one of the biggest complainers in the sport.  He spent the entire conference call today complaining about the UFC, without which, he wouldn't have half the things he has today.  He was going on about how noone would "stand and bang" with him and stuff like that.  He refused to evolve, the sport passed him by, and now he thinks it's everyone elses fault but his.  

I guess that did look a little harsh though.  I was just kind of annoyed at the time cuz I just finished listening to the call, and it was all just a little bit overblown to me.

1/15/13 3:44 PM
MuchRespec'
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryann Von Doom - 
disbeliever - Other than Reebok not paying the fees, why would the UFC not let them in?
Nike.

And wow.. The power of propaganda is shown in full force here on the ug. Phone Post

Man no shit... it saddens me to see sport-fighting fans consistently side with a promoter over the warriors who actually fight for their entertainment.

I'm constently at a loss for words, it's just so... cunty.

"First I was all, then I was like, knowhatimsayin girlfriend?"
1/15/13 3:46 PM
likatiga
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

You know there is zero chance the UFC tells GSP he's no longer sponsored by Under Armor Phone Post

yeah, that's what I meant by exclusive. the only shoe company.
1/15/13 3:50 PM
lifeaftrprison
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - Other than Reebok not paying the fees, why would the UFC not let them in?
Conflict with their title sponsor ? Nike had deal with NFL and won't allow players to rep Adidas etc. Phone Post
1/15/13 3:56 PM
BrattMamley
1328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr Mister - 
BrattMamley -
Mr Mister - 
BrattMamley -

I'm so over this guy. When was his last legit win over a top 10 guy? I had Machida winning that fight so I don't consider that. Matt Hammill? Keith Jardine? Not since knocking out Wanderlei has Rampage done anything worthy of being this arrogant about. You get paid more than most fighters in the UFC, barely win, yet still manage to talk constant shit about the organization. Goodbye Rampage.

He said the UFC won't allow his sponsor. Where's the shit talking? Phone Post

If you haven't followed Rampage in the last 3 years all he does is talk shit about the UFC and how they don't pay him enough or take care of their fighters.

I know he has. No where in the OP is there shit talking, just that he said the UFC won't allow his sponsor. If he bothers you that much why read threads about him or his interviews? Phone Post

Because I'm a massive MMA fan so I'll read and post in any and all threads. I rarely criticize any fighter and, although the OP only mentions the Reebok fiasco, throughout the press conference Rampage kept saying how excited he was to leave. So my references weren't made towards the reebok statement. I'm just venting my frustration with Rampage. UFC put him as coach of TUF multiple times, gave him title shots coming off weak wins, bailed him out of legal issues. I hate ungrateful people and from my point of view Rampage is a pre madonna and I hate it because he has so much potential.

1/15/13 3:56 PM
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

likatiga - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

yeah, that's what I meant by exclusive. the only shoe company.

It may even be more specific then that.  Nike is known for drafting very intensive contracts.  It probably specifically stated "no Adidas, no Reebok".  It's like how Shane Carwin's sponsor Good4U drinks got knocked out because it fell into the energy drink category and Xyience or whoever it is demanded they get removed.

In the NFL you have to wear Nike jerseys and Ridell helmets, players are allowed to choose their own gloves and shoes, even the coaches have to wear NFL licenced apparel on the sidelines during games.  The helmet thing in the NFL has been an issue recently, as there has been evidence to show that a different company has actually been making a much safer helmet for years, but Ridell has been keeping them down.  The NHL has Reebok jerseys, but you are allowed to choose your own safety equipment as long as it's certified (which is the best idea, because different people have different needs). 

1/15/13 3:58 PM
epic hero

MuchRespec' - 
Ryann Von Doom - 
Nike.

And wow.. The power of propaganda is shown in full force here on the ug. Phone Post

Man no shit... it saddens me to see sport-fighting fans consistently side with a promoter over the warriors who actually fight for their entertainment.

I'm constently at a loss for words, it's just so... cunty.

"First I was all, then I was like, knowhatimsayin girlfriend?"

Yes it's pathetic if you ask me. Every Rampage thread is full of hate, nobody hated him until he started speaking against the UFC then suddenly he's the most hated fighter on the roster.

1/15/13 4:00 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't like some of the things Rampage has done lately but i'm still a fan and i hope he beats Glover to give a fuck you to the UFC as he leaves
1/15/13 4:02 PM
SmackyBear
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tap In - 
Othello - Do the big sports leagues allow competing manufacturers or is it all one brand? IE..... If the NFL is Nike do they allow Reebok products as well? Or do they say fuck it, a player can make his own judgements and we don't care one way or another?

I think shoes and maybe gloves are the only exceptions, all jerseys/uniforms are the same brand

Yup, they can wear the brand of gloves and shoes they want.

But the logos have to be covered up if the company doesn't have a deal with the NFL.
1/15/13 4:05 PM
Pat Giles
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TartanTopTeamsHeroinWhore -
Pat Giles - Oh rampage. Crying again. Finish out your contract and dont let the door hit you on the way out. All you care about is money, good luck getting paid elsewhere Phone Post
Yea I'm sure you'd be totally cool if your employer shortpaid you Phone Post
Rampage is short paid? The UFC saved his ass when he went crazy in his monster truck. They did damage control. They put him on spike. The dude has had every opportunity. He just lacks the drive nowadays. He complains about not getting paid, and cries when he gets taken down in an mma fight. I love rampage the fighter, I'm a huge fan, but this isn't the guy everyone fell in love with. Phone Post
1/15/13 4:06 PM
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360

ObamaCare - 

and you're all getting worked up over a few words from ariel

no telling what else was said

could have easily been - Rampage -"yea man i got a deal with reebok but since they never paid the fees or got any clearance ffrom ufc, ufc aint letting me wear anything with their logo into the ring"

turns into: ariel "RAMPAGE SAID UFC WONT LET HIM WEAR HIS REEBOK STUFF"

turns into : UG - "rampage sucks i hope he loses, what an idiot"

No, I actually listened to the conference call that Ariel got this info from.  Rampage complained about it for like 2 minutes solid.  He also went on and on about how happy he was to go fight for an org that would set him up for "stand n bang fights" and complained about how he was positive that Glover was just going to lay n pray for 3 rounds, instead of you know, working on his takedown defence or something.

1/15/13 4:19 PM
12SixElbow
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sgotwalks - 
12SixElbow - 
sgotwalks - 
12SixElbow - 

Is the UFC working with Nike? I realize Nikey has sponsored Jones, but do they also sponsor the UFC directly? I haven't spotted Nike logos on the canvas or cage yet...........not saying they don't, I am just asking, because if they in fact do not sponsor the UFC like Bud Lite and Harley Davidson do, then there is zero conflict between Nike and Reebok both sponsoring fighters.

Or by Coors Light? The UFC isn't going to let the big guys advertising get conflicted with.

I assume since they sponsor several UFC fighters, that they are working with the UFC in some aspect.

Something is missing from this conjecture. If they do not sponsor the UFC directly then there is no conflict. Tapout sponsors fighters..........does the UFC give a shit if Tapout's competitive brands sponsor different fighters? No. If Nike is no more than a Jon Jones sponsored brand, why would the UFC give a shit if Reebok sponsored a different fighter? 

Your analogy on Victory motorcycles is a moot point unless we know if in fact the UFC is sponsored by Nike directly. If not, then they should want as many of the big boy sponsors as they can get to dabble in fighter sponsorship, and hopefully wet their appetites so they will want to tie in to the organization at a higher level, hence a bidding war down the road.

You have no knowledge of how the UFC does business do you?

This is exactly the kind of thing they do, they protect the baby.

They've kicked out brands who sponsor fighters outside the UFC. Why should they care if a brand sponsors other athletes? it has nothing to do with them. But they cared.

1/15/13 4:23 PM
FingerorMoon
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck to him I guess.

I'm not sure where these orgs are that treat fighters better?

Maybe he will find somewhere that allows him to wear Reeboks to the cage ....and they'll pay him 1/4 what the UFC is able to as well.
1/15/13 4:30 PM
chrisoefer
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP24 - I don't think the UFC should have any involvement in sponsors sponsoring FIGHTERS. It has nothing to do with them.

Argh! Phone Post
It's all about the money.

It's the same reason you see coke products and cigarettes and almost anything else blurred out or taped up on reality shows. Production companies aren't going to give away free advertising. Phone Post
1/15/13 4:34 PM
sgotwalks
1630 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 
sgotwalks - 
12SixElbow - 
sgotwalks - 
12SixElbow - 

You have no knowledge of how the UFC does business do you?

This is exactly the kind of thing they do, they protect the baby.

They've kicked out brands who sponsor fighters outside the UFC. Why should they care if a brand sponsors other athletes? it has nothing to do with them. But they cared.

On the contrary, I have more knowledge than many, more than likely including yourself. I don't say this to be patronizing, I say it because I have spent the last six years working for multiple brands who have sponsored several top fighters in the UFC, therefore I have been kept pretty much in the loop on how these things work. The one uncertainty here that I keep alluding to is one you keep avoiding..........does Nike sponsor the UFC directly? If not, then it is a non-issue. Was Reebok willing to pay the sponsorship fee required by all brands worn by UFC fighters? If not, then our answer is simple. Other than those two things, it could be something completely unbeknownst to any of us......who is to say.

1/15/13 4:42 PM
MdGeist

mister_sticks -  I remember reading that Nike bought Reebok sometime ago but chose to retain its name and identity to get a bigger share of the market...

Could be wrong... Phone Post

You were close, it was Addidas that bought out Reebok.

1/15/13 4:42 PM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I mean, common. He didn't think to run that past the brass to see if there would be a conflict? It just seems like Page sets out to be a maximum pain in the ass a lot of the time. Why would any organization risk alienating anything for a fighter that is very vocal about leaving. Phone Post
1/15/13 4:43 PM
likatiga

sgotwalks, I don't think it's as black and white as that. Assume when a company enters into the "sponsor a fighter" realm with the UFC and pays the $150k there is a contract involved.

When it came time for Nike to pay that fee for Jones, Anderson, Junior, etc., the Nike legal & marketing teams would have gone to work and made sure their deal was sweet. ie. excluding competitors.

Nike is a marketing giant, make no mistake.
1/15/13 4:46 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
587 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're the UFC, and Nike tells you they will only sponsor fighters if Adidas and their companies aren't allowed to be shown at the UFC fights, would you really turn them down? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.