UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rampage: "I'm sponsored by Reebok, UFC wont"

1/15/13 6:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
likatiga
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sgotwalks - 
john joe - has Nike actually paid the so-called 'sponsor tax' though? I dont know either way but if i was to guess i would say not because after the Jones Nike deal was announced one source told me "its literally not a big deal, in all senses of the phrase" and the UFC noticeably didnt start spraying Nike everywhere. You would think the opportunity to have a big-ass Swoosh on the octagon canvas would be jumped at... if Nike were fully on board...

Exactly what I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to get at. I don't believe Nike is tied directly to the UFC through sponsorship, they are merely sponsoring their fighter. It is a small potatos kind of deal, so why would they care to shut the door on another potential huge aponsor who wants to get their feet wet in the UFC. Nike has not fully stepped up to the plate yet, so what is the deal?

I hear you, but like I said, it doesn't have to be black and white.

You're right, it's surely more involved than just the sponsor fee, but it's very possible that Nike has some arrangement with the UFC about exclusivity. They wouldn't need direct sponsorship in order to put that in place.

Or, they hate Rampage and are doing it just to fuck with him.

I know this though, somebody who does know the truth is sitting at their computer right now LOLing at us armchair experts as we throw our theories around.
1/15/13 6:09 PM
trobinson21
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -
2JupitersTooMany - 

Is Reebok still a company?  He should contact the people at Varnet and Swatch.

Reebok did 5 billion dollars last year...

Adidas, its parent company did 14 billion...

The UFC was fine with the sponsor, they just declined the actual lifesize MMA glove "patch" on the fight shorts thigh that acted as a manual pump cooling system giving him competitive advantage. Kindly of like when Dee Brown won that dunk contest. Phone Post
1/15/13 6:15 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1793 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ lol

1/15/13 6:16 PM
grafzep
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't wait until he is gone. I never liked to hear him talk because he is a moron but at least he would deliver an exciting fight. Now he doesn't even do that and hasn't for some time. Too lazy, stupid or arrogant to improve his game and he blames everyone else for his loses.
1/15/13 6:19 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1793 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*inflates Nike Pump wrestling shoes*

1/15/13 6:22 PM
HandsomeTopTeam
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brigham - 
Pat Giles - Oh rampage. Crying again. Finish out your contract and dont let the door hit you on the way out. All you care about is money, good luck getting paid elsewhere Phone Post
.... You do realize money is the reason they do this right? They're prize fighters to quote Floyd Mayweather 'we're prize fighters, we fight for a prize you fuckin dummy'

Not calling you a dummy, just quoting Mayweather Phone Post

1/15/13 6:23 PM
trobinson21
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany -

*inflates Nike Pump wrestling shoes*

Hahaha, the special "oil check" feature may put an end to stalemates at wrestling tournaments worldwide. Phone Post
1/15/13 6:27 PM
2JupitersTooMany

ssj - Rampage haters sound like a big bunch of whiny virgins.

He can do whatever the fuck he wants, deal with it

I mean if we're being technical, he can't, which was what the OP was getting at if I follow him

1/15/13 7:14 PM
sgotwalks
1665 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/15/13 7:16 PM
12SixElbow - 
sgotwalks - 
john joe - has Nike actually paid the so-called 'sponsor tax' though? I dont know either way but if i was to guess i would say not because after the Jones Nike deal was announced one source told me "its literally not a big deal, in all senses of the phrase" and the UFC noticeably didnt start spraying Nike everywhere. You would think the opportunity to have a big-ass Swoosh on the octagon canvas would be jumped at... if Nike were fully on board...

Exactly what I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to get at. I don't believe Nike is tied directly to the UFC through sponsorship, they are merely sponsoring their fighter. It is a small potatos kind of deal, so why would they care to shut the door on another potential huge aponsor who wants to get their feet wet in the UFC. Nike has not fully stepped up to the plate yet, so what is the deal?

1. It was on the confrence call, did Dana white deny it?

2. A possible sponsorship from Nike isn't what anyone would call small potatos lol

They're probably working with, or talking to Nike about being an official sponsor, who knows?

Or maybe Nike will make UFC clothing, who knows.

We do know Page said the UFC won't allow it, on a confrence call, and no one from the UFC who was on the call said that isn't true...

My small potatos comment was aimed at a scenario where Nike sponsors Jones and nothing more. No direct business with the UFC, just the standard sponsorship fee. In that scenario it would be small potatos to the UFC as Nike would not be their sponsor, it would be Jone's sponsor paying for the right to brand him in the UFC.

I have no doubt whatsoever that it's true, none whatsoever. What I bolded in your quote is most likely the case. All I was wondeing initially was whether Nike already had some sort of deal in place to work directly with the UFC (something along the lines of what you alluded to), because if they did then it all makes complete sense. My only point of debating, or conversing about it was that if this is not the case then I can't figure out what the issue is. As I have not yeat heard of any deal directly linking Nikey money to the UFC (outside of the fighter's sponsorship fee) it left the door open for friendly speculation and debate.

I am really tired of hearing myself type on this one now. It has been fun enough, and thanks for keeping it classy.

1/15/13 7:16 PM
sgotwalks
1665 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

likatiga - 
sgotwalks - 

I hear you, but like I said, it doesn't have to be black and white.

You're right, it's surely more involved than just the sponsor fee, but it's very possible that Nike has some arrangement with the UFC about exclusivity. They wouldn't need direct sponsorship in order to put that in place.

Or, they hate Rampage and are doing it just to fuck with him.

I know this though, somebody who does know the truth is sitting at their computer right now LOLing at us armchair experts as we throw our theories around.

Well put, all of it.

1/15/13 7:18 PM
ufcman187
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can see it now. Rampage leaves UFC, writes a tell all book about Dana and the UFC, and then buys a golden fire hydrant to piss on while howling in his multi million dollar mansion. It's the Vince McMahon / Hulk Hogan of 2013.
1/15/13 7:37 PM
UGCTT_mousetrap
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epic hero - Anybody else think the Rampage hate is getting kind of old? Every thread about him turns into the same thing.
. Phone Post
1/15/13 8:16 PM
masenkablast

I won't call the Nike deals "small potatoes". Sure they sponsoring Jones, but didn't they sponsor Silva first? What about Dos Santos decked head to toe in Nike with no other sponsors. They have to be putting up some real change to get a fighter (let alone a champ) to forego any other sponsors.

UFC may be making a move to get involved with Nike on a deeper level or may be encouraging Nike to pick up more fighters. Can you imagine how nice official UFC branded gear would be if it was Nike Pro gear? I would kill for a compression black Nike pro shirt with the PRIDE logo on it. Just day-dreaming. Phone Post
1/15/13 8:19 PM
masenkablast

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
likatiga - Obviously the Nike deal has exclusivity.

Somebody at Reebok fucked up if they sponsored Rampage without first making sure he could rep them at UFC events.
It wouldn't be exclusive, probably would only ban Reebok and Adidas.

You know there is zero chance the UFC tells GSP he's no longer sponsored by Under Armor Phone Post
I don't remember GSP wearing UnderArmour gear in a fight or as a warmup before. Hayabusa & formally FCF. Just UA in training right? Phone Post
1/15/13 8:44 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

masenkablast -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
likatiga - Obviously the Nike deal has exclusivity.

Somebody at Reebok fucked up if they sponsored Rampage without first making sure he could rep them at UFC events.
It wouldn't be exclusive, probably would only ban Reebok and Adidas.

You know there is zero chance the UFC tells GSP he's no longer sponsored by Under Armor Phone Post
I don't remember GSP wearing UnderArmour gear in a fight or as a warmup before. Hayabusa & formally FCF. Just UA in training right? Phone Post
I guess I don't remember what he wears to, from and in the octagon. You may be right. Phone Post
1/15/13 8:50 PM
RPBJJ
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epic hero - Anybody else think the Rampage hate is getting kind of old? Every thread about him turns into the same thing.
MMA fans are the worst. Phone Post
1/15/13 8:54 PM
TeamRenzo4Life

I'd be very interested to know how many people here are paid by Zuffa and how many are just so stupid they swallow the UFC's vloads voluntarily, on their knees, tongues out with a sparkle in their eye.
"Oh when was the last time he beat a top 10 guy? What does Dana White think?"
Rampage Jackson is a legend in this sport. Y'all shill opinions don't matter.
1/15/13 8:57 PM
2JupitersTooMany

I've got a line on a Jordache sponsorship if the regulations loosen up Phone Post
1/15/13 9:06 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
ObamaCare - 

and you're all getting worked up over a few words from ariel

no telling what else was said

could have easily been - Rampage -"yea man i got a deal with reebok but since they never paid the fees or got any clearance ffrom ufc, ufc aint letting me wear anything with their logo into the ring"

turns into: ariel "RAMPAGE SAID UFC WONT LET HIM WEAR HIS REEBOK STUFF"

turns into : UG - "rampage sucks i hope he loses, what an idiot"

uh, it was a direct quote.

1/15/13 9:29 PM
JasonSB

lifeaftrprison -  My question is this , will "rampage " be allowed in front of his name at a new org? Since the UFC contract stipulates "perpetual use" for his likeness. Will he have to use a different name ? Will they stop him from being on another video game , toy action figure or such ? Curious to see this. He will be without a doubt the biggest star to leave and fight elsewhere after his contract is up. Hendo no disrespect but he is not as known to the average person. Phone Post

This is crazy, thought they only had rights to your likeness while u are under contract. If they did get a exclusive deal with nike hope this is reflect in overall fighters pay. If not this directly effects fighters' pay, because we all know if 1 major player jumps into an arena other majors will be looking to sponsor fighters.
1/15/13 9:35 PM
caseharts
514 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It true that's wrong Phone Post
1/15/13 10:25 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
ObamaCare -
Cyril Jeff - 
ObamaCare - 

and you're all getting worked up over a few words from ariel

no telling what else was said

could have easily been - Rampage -"yea man i got a deal with reebok but since they never paid the fees or got any clearance ffrom ufc, ufc aint letting me wear anything with their logo into the ring"

turns into: ariel "RAMPAGE SAID UFC WONT LET HIM WEAR HIS REEBOK STUFF"

turns into : UG - "rampage sucks i hope he loses, what an idiot"

uh, it was a direct quote.

survey says....

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

try again

Try again what?

Did you listen to the Conference Call?
He said he was sponsored by Reebok and the UFC won't allow him to represent. Phone Post
1/15/13 11:19 PM
armbarheelhook
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess some ppl forget what happened to Affliction awhile back.. they were paying the fees to UFC and were also having their own competing MMA org when uncle dana put his foot down.

The UFC has the right to only allow the businesses they want to advertise for on the UFC. This does not mean Reebok, etc. cant sponsor fighters. They just might not get advertising on UFC broadcasts, which is what any business sponsoring an MMA fighter wants anyways. exposure..

Will they let Rampage wear his Reebok gear into cage as long as Reebok logo is covered up?

Maybe Nike and UFC get certain tax breaks/write-offs for sponsoring since they are both U.S. owned companies.? Whereas Reebok who is owned by Adidas is a german company. Phone Post
1/15/13 11:20 PM
lifeaftrprison
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JasonSB -
lifeaftrprison -  My question is this , will "rampage " be allowed in front of his name at a new org? Since the UFC contract stipulates "perpetual use" for his likeness. Will he have to use a different name ? Will they stop him from being on another video game , toy action figure or such ? Curious to see this. He will be without a doubt the biggest star to leave and fight elsewhere after his contract is up. Hendo no disrespect but he is not as known to the average person. Phone Post

This is crazy, thought they only had rights to your likeness while u are under contract. If they did get a exclusive deal with nike hope this is reflect in overall fighters pay. If not this directly effects fighters' pay, because we all know if 1 major player jumps into an arena other majors will be looking to sponsor fighters.
I'm really curious how this will play out. They have rights to likeness , I don't know if that means he can't use it too or if they can use it as well once he is gone. No big star has left during a time they had clout still and was allowed to fight or be promoted. Tito, Randy and BJ (might have done 1 ROR) all left and did not compete. Randy entered into a bitter lawsuit with them for a bit too.

A big gripe of many camps was the perpetual likeness deal. Anyone got any ideals how this might go down ? Phone Post
1/16/13 7:47 AM
the BOSS 041ZAR
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/16/13 10:35 AM

BANDS A MAKE EM DANCE !!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.