UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Help an old timer with a program

1/15/13 9:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RGJuJitsu
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi guys I'm in need of something to change my life physically. I seek help through your wisdom. I'm 6' 315 lbs. 37 years old. Currently my only workout is my fat burn program for 30 minutes on my landice elliptical five days per week. I'm still fairly strong could probably still bench 225 a few times and I deep squatted 135 ten times a week ago. So although I'm extremely out of shape I'm one of those surprising fat guys. But I don't want to be that any more.
I have struggled my weight my entire adult life. My high was 390 about five years ago. I had a lap band put in and my weight has been steady ever since, but has stopped going down. I have done what seems like everything diet wise and I just can't seem to get my eating right. I actually love to exercise.
I have an elliptical, a full set of olympic bumper plates and bar, some dumbbells and those bands that come with power 90 program. I'm open to any suggestions I want to put together a program to save my life because I know I'm slowly killing myself with my eating. I want to have more energy to play with my kids and to see my daughter walk down the aisle. Blood pressure is normal and cholesterol is tad high but nothing crazy. I'm on trt 125 mg cypionate once week. Thanks for anything you can do. Phone Post
1/15/13 9:35 PM
RGJuJitsu
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should probably add I have about 30-45 minutes to do it a day and prefer to work out in morning. Phone Post
1/15/13 10:11 PM
RGJuJitsu

Thanks brother I need it. Feeling life the thousandth time i've tried climbing this mountain. Phone Post
1/15/13 11:58 PM
Badmonkey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would recommend fitdeck.com

The basic deck they sell has several different levels - beginner, intermediate, advanced - on each card for repetition goals.

The site has many resources and i think the bodyweight movements would be enough strength training for now as you begin losing more weight.

Shuffle the deck in the morning, and start flipping the cards and performing the prescribed exercises until a 45 minute clock runs down... rest as needed between cards and modify the exercises if needed. The website can help with exercise modifications or just post here and i'm sure folks will help out.

Count how many cards you can finish each workout and make a note... one day you'll finish the deck in 45 minutes and look and feel like a new person.

The faster you get from one card to the next the more of a conditioning/cardio workout you can make it.

I find it easier to set a clock and turn a card when working out alone then just diving into a preset routine.

That's just one option. Check it out and good luck with your goals.
1/16/13 1:09 AM
KOArtist
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd suggest one of the 2 days per week 531 variations, but it doesn't sound like u have a bench or squat rack/stands? Phone Post
1/16/13 6:50 AM
Kevin Curtis

Starting with a "couch to 5k" program might be a good place to start for you, Do that plus a basic 5 x 5 program twice a week.

Best of luck to you... you need to do this for yourself and your family.
1/16/13 8:57 AM
Leigh
721 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No program will do it until you address your diet
1/16/13 9:30 AM
RGJuJitsu

I don't have any bench or racks. And I agree that not much will change until my diet does so does anyone have any experience making fundamental change to their diet? Obviously I'm a huge food guy and I prepare dinner for my family 5 nights a week. It's just something I've never been able to get over my whole life. Anyone been through this and make it out the other side? How did you do it? Thank you to everyone who took the time to post. Phone Post
1/16/13 10:56 AM
Leigh
721 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/16/13 10:56 AM
First step is to cut out the bad stuff. Anything processed is bad stuff. This includes:

* The stuff you know about - cakes, crisps, chocolate etc
* Flour (bread and pasta, yes even brown/wholewheat)
* Fruit juice/alcohol
* Most sauces and dressings

Second step is to go one further - cut out food we are not meant to eat:

* Potatoes and rice
* Dairy
* Fatty meat

This doesn't mean you necessarily have to eat less food. I stuff my face with meat, chicken, fish, eggs, fruit, nuts and veggies. Actually, I stuff my face with whatever I want but when I eat clean, that's what I eat. Everyone is different and at over 300lbs, you will probably have to show some restraint but I can't maintain weight by eating clean, despite hammering homemade grilled burgers, steaks and other yum food down my neck
1/16/13 11:59 AM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Leigh about getting your diet under control. I'm not being a smart ass but have you looked into weight watchers for men?

I don't know that I could eat as clean as Leigh but counting calories, cutting down on the wrong calories is imperative. Not just for you but for instilling good habits for your children.

Best of luck
1/16/13 3:08 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also agree about getting nutrition under control. Takes the most dsicipline, and will have the biggest effect on health, weight-loss, and just feeling better. Later and may even benefit performance. Taking control of your nutrition will allow you to carry that disipline over to many other pursuits.

TAKU

1/16/13 6:01 PM
RGJuJitsu

What do you think of the idea to eat only meat fruit vegetables and milk every day of the week except for one cheat day? Phone Post
1/17/13 9:51 AM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - First step is to cut out the bad stuff. Anything processed is bad stuff. This includes:

* The stuff you know about - cakes, crisps, chocolate etc
* Flour (bread and pasta, yes even brown/wholewheat)
* Fruit juice/alcohol
* Most sauces and dressings

Second step is to go one further - cut out food we are not meant to eat:

* Potatoes and rice
* Dairy
* Fatty meat

This doesn't mean you necessarily have to eat less food. I stuff my face with meat, chicken, fish, eggs, fruit, nuts and veggies. Actually, I stuff my face with whatever I want but when I eat clean, that's what I eat. Everyone is different and at over 300lbs, you will probably have to show some restraint but I can't maintain weight by eating clean, despite hammering homemade grilled burgers, steaks and other yum food down my neck
All this.

AND NO CHEAT DAY. Maybe a small cheat snack one per week, and a healthy one. A small piece of good quality dark chocolate does the trick for me.

Also, what helped me to drop a SIGNIFICANT amount of weight was to plan what and when I am going to eat the day before. This limits those "on the fly" poor decisions and makes you hold yourself accountable to your decisions. Phone Post
1/17/13 9:55 AM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RGJuJitsu - What do you think of the idea to eat only meat fruit vegetables and milk every day of the week except for one cheat day? Phone Post
Limit your fruits, though much better than snacking on processed trash, they still do contain a decent amount of sugar. And consider limiting or eliminating milk, or make the switch to almond milk.

All in my opinion though. I am just stating what worked for me. Phone Post
1/17/13 10:32 AM
RGJuJitsu

Thank you all very much. I appreciate the feedback Phone Post
1/17/13 10:34 AM
RGJuJitsu

And it's kind of tricky with my lap band it's hard to eat large quantities quickly. It takes me double the amount of time to eat usually. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.