UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tito wants Cyborg warm up fights at 135 first

1/16/13 8:49 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1033 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

After the historic news broke that the UFC had signed Ronda Rousey talk immediately turned to Cris "Cyborg" Santos. However, Cyborg's camp initialy said that following a meeting with her doctors, Santos will not be able to make the 135 lb weight division.

Cyborg's manager UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz apparently told his client her not to try to make 135, but instead should fight elsewhere.

Then UFC president Dana White said that the promotion would assist Santos in making the required cut to 135.

"She can get to this weight," said White. "We have an expert who can help you lose weight in a healthy way. We have Mike Dolce, who has wrestlers lose weight and still feel good and it's all about your diet. He is 100 percent ready to work with her and will not cost anything to Cris."

"Cyborg needs to get on the boat. If she wants to fight in the UFC, she'll have to fight this category of 135 pounds. The stupidest thing about it is that she has Tito Ortiz as his manager."

Now Tito says Cyborg can indeed make the cut to 135, but he wants her to have some warm up fights first.

"It's going to be tough (to cut to 135 pounds)," said Tito On Tuesday's edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV. "When she cuts to 145 pounds she's shredded. To cut another 10 pounds? I don't know. I've been cutting weight for almost 20 years, it's tough to do. To get another extra 10 pounds off at the same time? If Mike Dolce can do it in a healthy way, a healthy manner, and a doctor can prove it can happen the right way, let the fight happen. I want to see the fight, I know the fans want to see the fight, so let's make it happen."

"When I first signed her, the first thing she said to me was that, 'I cannot make 135 [pounds]. I walk around at 172 to 173 pounds. And for a woman to cut that much weight, and for "Cyborg" to be the champion as long as she has in her weight class, to cut down to that weight seems like a disadvantage to her. Maybe let's get her a couple of warm up fights at 135. In the very beginning, (the UFC) said cut down to 135 and you have two months to do it. I don't want to hurt my fighter and her future as champion. She is a champion, she still is a champion."

"Last year she got mixed up with a substance that one of her trainers turned her onto, but she has said it was her choice and her bad decision and she was willing to make that right claim. So, I'm going to put my name, my stamp on her to ensure that she'll never touch any of those things again and be the champion that she once was before."

"Ronda Rousey is a great champion, she has a great name. Her attitude has completely changed. I watched her at the awards and when the spotlight is on you shine a little harder than you think you do. It's fine. She's a woman who deserves all the championship attention she can find at this point because when she fights "Cyborg" she will no longer be champion."

Read entire article...

1/16/13 8:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sockeye
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

.....in before a bunch of steroid comments ensue
1/16/13 9:11 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whos scared now?

1/16/13 9:24 AM
DanEzra
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"... Cyborg can indeed make the cut to 135"

Imagine that.

1/16/13 9:39 AM
MisterHawkeMMA
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5'8 170 with a 6 pack is hard to do for a guy, let alone a... oh yeah, never mind.
1/16/13 9:43 AM
jTheHybridwolff
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sockeye - .....in before a bunch of steroid comments ensue
In as well b4
Cris is going to hurt some random female 135ers then maul RR
This kinda made my day Phone Post
1/16/13 9:58 AM
7titofan7

This is good, if cyborg is given a few warm up fights at 135, should she lose to rousey you'll know that the "weight cut" excuse wont be the first thing out of everybodys mouth. Tito (without even knowing it) has either made a rousey win more legit or a cyborg win even more impressive. Hopefully we get to find out Phone Post
1/16/13 10:35 AM
sadisticsoldier
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've seen nothing from Cyborg to show she can handle what Rousey will bring. It is really odd seeing people talk like Cyborg winning is a sure thing. It makes no sense to me. Cyborg isn't this technical phenom. She wins by brute force and I don't see how that will work against Rousey. If anything they want these warm up fights to get more time for specific training against Rousey because they know that one mistake will be the end of the fight.
1/16/13 10:39 AM

pj_benn - 
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku -

whos scared now?

Ronda Phone Post

right..so now they are at the same weight (which is the same weight virtually every other known female MMA fighter is at) and cyborg doesnt want to fight ronda...

looks like she is the one tucking her big fat schlong

1/16/13 10:39 AM
Kingtony87
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly find it appalling she has fought some of the competition she has if she cuts from 170 Phone Post
1/16/13 10:52 AM
TheBeebs
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MisterHawkeMMA - 5'8 170 with a 6 pack is hard to do for a guy, let alone a... oh yeah, never mind.
I'm 6'6" and 170-175lbs, that chick is a beast! Phone Post
1/16/13 10:52 AM
pegson123

I'm over listening to cyborg. She has no other options if she wants to fight in zuffa. Phone Post
1/16/13 11:05 AM
halfninja
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love to see Cyborg smash Miesha Tate and Bryan Caraway if he gets in the way.
1/16/13 11:22 AM
Y2JB

I acknowledge i'm being a hypocrite by supporting a cheater and PED abuser in Cyborg but in this case fuck it, I hope Cyborg knocks Rousey out...highlight reel style.
1/16/13 11:41 AM
GroundStPound

Looks like Tito is going to put his heart and soul into managing Cyborg.

Good for Cyborg. If English wasn't my 1st language I can't think of anyone better to communicate for me other than Tito. Phone Post
1/16/13 11:48 AM
jagen

Edited: 01/16/13 11:48 AM
This boils down to money, Tito is trying to get his client at least a 3 fight contract with Zuffa, probably even more. It's also essential for Cyborg to rebuild some of her fan base, and let the fans know she is fighting for the big show now. How much do you wanna bet Zuffa wants to do a 1 fight contract?

If this fight happens it will probably be beginning of 2014, end of the year 2013 and Cyborg will win via head kick or ground n pound!
1/16/13 12:20 PM
Archer0545

She scared! Phone Post
1/16/13 12:43 PM
jTheHybridwolff
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cris has one punch Ko power if she catches Ronda coming in going for that lame ass arm bar Ronda's going to sleep. Cris is solid enuff to keep it stand
Rousey is fucked IMO
Bronze medal or not a fight with
Cris Cyborg could end violently Phone Post
1/16/13 12:43 PM
jTheHybridwolff

jTheHybridwolff - Cris has one punch Ko power if she catches Ronda coming in going for that lame ass arm bar Ronda's going to sleep. Cris is solid enuff to keep it stand
Rousey is fucked IMO
*Standing Phone Post
1/16/13 12:52 PM
Seats Taken
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least she took responsibility that she took PEDs, all the guys that get busted say it was an accident and they didn't know what was going on, at least Cyborg had the balls to man up and say it was her fault. Phone Post
1/16/13 12:54 PM

jTheHybridwolff -  Cris has one punch Ko power if she catches Ronda coming in going for that lame ass arm bar Ronda's going to sleep. Cris is solid enuff to keep it stand
Rousey is fucked IMO

the thing is, despite all her muscle..cris doesnt really have 1 punch KO power...who was the last person she KOd with one shot? usually she swarms her opponents with dozens of punches before they are TKO'd...thats the thing about women's mma...relative to men, the grapplers will do better because very few girls have 1 punch KO power so you can wade in and take shots and clinch

1/16/13 1:03 PM
Soup and Beer
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt Cyborg is scared, but so far there's been nothing but excuses for not fighting Rousey coming from either her or her manager.  No matter how you look at it, the situation is she got busted for roids then was offered a championship title fight and refused.  Twice.

1/16/13 1:18 PM
40oztofreedom
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smart move to take a warm-up fight. She needs to get back in the swing of it. Would be crazy if she was defeated in her warm-up fight. Anything can happen. Phone Post
1/16/13 1:31 PM
DanEzra
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/16/13 1:31 PM
Seats Taken -  At least she took responsibility that she took PEDs, all the guys that get busted say it was an accident and they didn't know what was going on, at least Cyborg had the balls to man up and say it was her fault. Phone Post

"I am ultimately responsible for everything I put in my body, and at the end of the day, there is no excuse for having a prohibited substance in my system. I do not condone the use of any performance enhancing drugs by myself or any other professional athlete, and willingly accept the penalties and fines that have been handed down to me by the California State Athletic Commission and those of the StrikeForce/Zuffa organization.

While I was preparing myself for my last fight I was having a difficult time cutting weight and used a dietary supplement that I was assured was safe and not prohibited from use in sports competition. It was never my intention to obtain an unfair advantage over Hiroko, mislead StrikeForce, the Commission or my fans. I train harder than any fighter in MMA and do not need drugs to win in the cage, and I have proven this time and time again! My only mistake is not verifying the diet aid with my doctor beforehand, and understanding that it was not approved for use in the ring. Unfortunately in the end I suffer the consequences and must accept the responsibility for my actions.

I will do everything I can to show my fans that I can still compete at the professional level without the use of any prohibited substances, and ask God’s forgiveness for my mistake."

Cris Santos – Curitiba, Brazil January 7th, 2012

1/16/13 1:36 PM
TheRealMrBeefy

Throw her in there with Meisha. May as well right? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.