UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Russian gold medal wrestler on future in MMA

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/16/13 9:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Xuh
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Women's 72kg Gold Medallist at last year's olympics, Natalia Vorobieva, had a guest appearence at an M1 event and was interviewed backstage. She hinted that she would like to compete in MMA after the next olympics. Assuming noone else jumps in in the meantime, that would make her potentially the first Russian wrestling gold medallist to move into MMA, and if she won in Rio (I know, a lot of big 'ifs' =P) she might be the first multiple gold medallist to go to MMA?

if nothing else, it seems that with M1 providing a focus and raising the profile of MMA in Russia/eastern europe, more of Russia's combat sports elite will gravitating toward MMA. Could make for an exciting decade ahead (and a new cold war =P).
Plus any olympians going to MMa is interesting, in my book, and the arrival of top russian wrestlers (even if it is 'only a woman' as some will be thinking) especially.

here is the video (in Russian) (will VU anyone who embeds it quickly!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpuxreChUvE

->translation by Sherdog member 'colossal squid' (I feel it's worth sharing his work beyond letting me know what I wanted to know, even if this isn't as interesting news to others).

Q. What impression did you get from the tournament

A. I like to come to such events whenever I can, I'm at them quite often. A lot of my friends are fighters. Even sometimes I go to their trainings and for a change fight with them.

This is a very good organisation, the hall is full of spectators. The people are interested and they want to see a spectacle. And thank you to the organisers for this event and the tournaments in Russia, they are raising the sport's profile (MMA), this is very cool.

Q. Natalia tell us who you were supporting today. Did anyone impress you particularly?

A. Today I had the opportunity and honour to congratule the winner Arthur Hussain, wish him more victories. It's most important that he continue to train.

Q. Natalia would you yourself like to take part in an MMA fight?

A. If I would start to do this sport someone will definitely suffer. At the moment I'm training at wrestling and I want to take part in the Rio Olympics, but then maybe. For the meantime I will remain a spectator.

Q. What plans do you have for the near future?

A. In Krasnoyarsk there's a tournament on the 27th of January in memory of Ivan Rigin. I don't usually do very well at this tournament so don't expect great results from me! So in this year the main events are the European and World Championships. I will prepare - I still haven't been the champion of Europe or the world so... that's all ahead, I hope. With the support of our viewers and fans, it will happen.

Q. And about the fans, what would you say to them?

A. M1 fans need patience, patience for their weak hearts, my girlfriends sit and are shocked 'how can you beat people like that'! Come to the tournaments, support, worry with us, when you know the country is behind you, millions of fans it gives you confidence.
1/16/13 7:19 PM
Xuh
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

will give one bump...
1/16/13 7:20 PM
Nexuscrawlers
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Idk who that is but that is cool. Thanks for posting Phone Post
1/16/13 7:49 PM
Calebcb
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If I would start to do this sport someone will definitely suffer."

"M1 fans need patience, patience for their weak hearts,"

The female Drago.

1/19/13 12:43 PM
Nexuscrawlers
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
1/19/13 1:39 PM
fightsfan
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lets see a pic of this tough Ruska woman
1/19/13 1:55 PM
Xuh

fightsfan - lets see a pic of this tough Ruska woman

http://i50.tinypic.com/2epoo4o.jpg

on the left with the YGGR-face
1/19/13 2:03 PM
yabadaba
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For Xuh:

1/19/13 2:33 PM
Bebop
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope she's on the right. I hope she's on the right. I hope she's on the right.
1/19/13 2:36 PM
yabadaba
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that's Vitor Belfort on the left so I assume that's her on the right.

1/19/13 2:37 PM
yusul
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the one on the right is cuter. but anyhow, if she competes, it might be a nice russia us rivalry.
1/19/13 2:39 PM
yabadaba

1/19/13 2:42 PM
Bebop
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boop!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.