UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Keenan's fathers letter (copy and pasted)

1/17/13 11:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Fillthy
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol.

Keep it classy, Too Limp Irvin.

1/17/13 11:41 PM
cheesesteak
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrinceAlbert - http://www.marylandrealestatesecrets.com/

Format look familiar?....

I thought I was looking at the FFA website. This type of website is soo cheesy. There are a couple of MMA gyms that I was thinking about training at until I saw that website. i instantly knew the gym owner is MMA miliionaire seminar kook.
1/17/13 11:53 PM
PrinceAlbert
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something about Llyod's site reminded me of Matt Furey, basically a template from Stephen Oliver.
1/17/13 11:59 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pretty sure that's Marcos as the leprechaun.

1/18/13 12:02 AM
Jaybrone
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - 

I thought I was looking at the FFA website. This type of website is soo cheesy. There are a couple of MMA gyms that I was thinking about training at until I saw that website. i instantly knew the gym owner is MMA miliionaire seminar kook.

This guy will try to turn anything into a marketing pyramid scheme given the chance.

1/18/13 12:08 AM
UGCTT_Fillthy

Edited: 01/18/13 12:23 AM

EDIT - 

this thread is about how I respect Tom Callos.

I'll not devote any more energy here to highlighting the dishonorable nature of some of his contemporaries.

1/18/13 12:16 AM
cheesesteak
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jaybrone - 
cheesesteak - 

This guy will try to turn anything into a marketing pyramid scheme given the chance.

absolutely.. Hey have you ever woken up and where to tired to put on your shoes?...Well if so, you got to come to my seminar and learn a once in a lifetime proven method of how to successfully put on your shoes. Now for the first time ever, I'm inviting you too learn the most effective and fastest ways to get your shoes on..Don't miss it! Stop living day to day life being too tired to put your shoes on. We have turned hundreds of people into succesful shoe owners. Again this is a once in a lifetime chance. Don't miss this exclusive opportunity. Be there!
1/18/13 12:40 AM
PrinceAlbert
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Fillthy - 

EDIT - 

this thread is about how I respect Tom Callos.

I'll not devote any more energy here to highlighting the dishonorable nature of some of his contemporaries.

Tried to post it in another thread but couldn't find it.
1/18/13 1:01 AM
tomcallos
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A thank you to the people in/on this forum for your nice words and support. It's a weird, weird time for the martial arts world --and due to all of this, a weird time for our family. What a sad, messed up, disheartening, slap-in-the-face for the martial arts community. What a dishonorable record of shame. Helio Gracie, Meada, and Kano must be spinning in their graves. I too, in the shadow of this disgrace, find myself questioning whether I have wasted my time pursuing the study of the martial arts as a path to any sort of clarity. When these are our "Masters," what does it say about the martial arts? Ugh.
1/18/13 1:01 AM
tomcallos
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A thank you to the people in/on this forum for your nice words and support. It's a weird, weird time for the martial arts world --and due to all of this, a weird time for our family. What a sad, messed up, disheartening, slap-in-the-face for the martial arts community. What a dishonorable record of shame. Helio Gracie, Meada, and Kano must be spinning in their graves. I too, in the shadow of this disgrace, find myself questioning whether I have wasted my time pursuing the study of the martial arts as a path to any sort of clarity. When these are our "Masters," what does it say about the martial arts? Ugh.
1/18/13 1:04 AM
PrinceAlbert

Edited: 01/18/13 1:06 AM
Tom, We are the 97%...apparently.
1/18/13 1:05 AM
cheesesteak

tomcallos - A thank you to the people in/on this forum for your nice words and support. It's a weird, weird time for the martial arts world --and due to all of this, a weird time for our family. What a sad, messed up, disheartening, slap-in-the-face for the martial arts community. What a dishonorable record of shame. Helio Gracie, Meada, and Kano must be spinning in their graves. I too, in the shadow of this disgrace, find myself questioning whether I have wasted my time pursuing the study of the martial arts as a path to any sort of clarity. When these are our "Masters," what does it say about the martial arts? Ugh.

VU- For a very classy individual with great ethics!
1/18/13 1:07 AM
cheesesteak

Oh and this guy at the top is Master Lloyd Irving in his pyramid marketing and Master Avellan 2nd one down to the left....

1/18/13 1:10 AM
cheesesteak

the bottom 3 rows are the many thousands who are paying lloyd and marcos for information of how to oversaturate an oversaturated saturation.
1/18/13 1:50 AM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Fillthy -

no.

But when the head instructor, an acquitted participant in a gang rape, attempts to utilize the publicity to increase his revenue stream

AND

one of his black belts calls his victim a 'dirty whore who wanted a train ran on her'

AND

another of his black belts attacks your family publicly and behaves as an amoral sycophant in defending TLI (Too Limp Irvin)

AND

the guy who gave your head instructor his Sambo black belt is a convicted incestous pedophile

THEN

you should seriously examine the people who surround you and the culture you're embracing.

Damn.

This! Phone Post
1/18/13 2:06 AM
Stache
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 
I definitely RESPECT and support Mr. Callos in his words and his actions. 100%. (Period)

BUT as a separate topic, in terms of organizing to teach self-Defense... there is no reason to re-invent the wheel when it comes to women's self-defense training. It's not a new concern. There are people who have been doing this training for a LONG time.

There are actually some pretty good women's self-defense programs out there (and many more terrible ones!).

FWIW, here's an very OLD clip of one such organization I teach for (I'm the guy in the suit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OC4eYsOc1k

IMO, this is a decent women's self-defense course -none are perfect- and there are other that are decent too. But many such programs just don't tend to associate themselves with the larger martial arts community. As a result, many guys in the MA world don't really know anything about them.

As a rule, these programs don't tend to get the same students as martial arts studios. We get referrals from psychologists for student who have been raped or abused. I have NEVER taught a class that didn't have a portion of the class that had been assaulted --some horrifically so. They know from our reputation that our class is "safe" emotionally for people like them. They know that carefully done adrenaline-stress training is proven to help people be less hyper-vigilant and feel more empowered.

Compare that to when a so-called "rape prevention" class is offered by a typical martial arts school, it's usually little more than a marketing gimmick to get more female students in the door.

So, while many MA instructors feel like they are combative experts who "stoop down" to graciously teach women or children "self-defense", in actuality, your typical martial arts instructor is NOT really equipped to teach self-defense. A martial arts instructor and a self-defense instructor are two different animals --though the typical MA instructor often doesn't realize that!

A short-term "self-defense course" is a specialized type of training. It's really easy to do, but very hard to do well. Any such course should offer SOME level of training in topics like: awareness, the role of intuition, applied criminal psychology, the effects of adrenaline, verbal deescalation skills and legal aspects of self-defense. It should have a very low "technique threshold" meaning the moves are SIMPLE to do. Further, it should offer some scenario-based training element where the students get ADRENALIZED AS THEY WOULD BE DURING AN ACTUAL ASSAULT. That is imperative.

Truthfully, how many gym owners are prepared to do that?

So, massive amounts of "regular" martial arts instructors (i.e. non-self-defense instructors) teaching "Women's self-defense" is NOT something we need more of --it's something we already have!

In fact, there is TOO MUCH bad "short term self-defense training" aimed at women out there. Most of it, while well intentioned, is a far too complex, non-instinctive hodgepodge of martial arts techniques, which a group of women students will giggle their way through then shortly forget all about. That doesn't truly serve anybody.

Great post, shen.
1/18/13 2:06 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tomcallos - A thank you to the people in/on this forum for your nice words and support. It's a weird, weird time for the martial arts world --and due to all of this, a weird time for our family. What a sad, messed up, disheartening, slap-in-the-face for the martial arts community. What a dishonorable record of shame. Helio Gracie, Meada, and Kano must be spinning in their graves. I too, in the shadow of this disgrace, find myself questioning whether I have wasted my time pursuing the study of the martial arts as a path to any sort of clarity. When these are our "Masters," what does it say about the martial arts? Ugh.
ttt for Tom Callos.

All we can do is spread the truth and hope it takes hold of people. Phone Post
1/18/13 3:06 AM
carcaju
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the best for you and your family Tom.
1/18/13 7:23 AM
6ULDV8
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A great, big thank you to Mr. Callos for posting here.

TTT

1/18/13 8:43 AM
Tréasach
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Mr. Callos

And good post by Shen as well.
1/18/13 11:51 AM
kying418
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tomcallos - A thank you to the people in/on this forum for your nice words and support. It's a weird, weird time for the martial arts world --and due to all of this, a weird time for our family. What a sad, messed up, disheartening, slap-in-the-face for the martial arts community. What a dishonorable record of shame. Helio Gracie, Meada, and Kano must be spinning in their graves. I too, in the shadow of this disgrace, find myself questioning whether I have wasted my time pursuing the study of the martial arts as a path to any sort of clarity. When these are our "Masters," what does it say about the martial arts? Ugh.

Always great to hear from Tom.

I do believe Martial Arts can have tremendous value to the practioners.

However, I think an important lesson to be learned from this mess is that our teachers are all flawed human beings. Just because they have won World Championships, have a successful team, or even invented a martial arts, the students should not show blind loyalty to them. Always question your teacher's actions- in doing so, the good guys will (hopefully) rise to the top, and the bad guys will (hopefully) eventually fall.

I see that you brought up Helio's name. I've recently heard about a brazilian documentary that will be coming out talking about the creation of BJJ. Unfortunately, even with Helio, there is evidence that he tried to (or did) destroy evidence of his brother, Carlos Gracie's influence in the creation of BJJ- in attempts to diminish his role in it and exaggerate his (Helio's) claims.
1/18/13 12:25 PM
snowman95
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gracie breakdown talked about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTxAjN1XSso&feature=youtube_gdata_player

They get a little all over the place but I think they have some points, might come across a little self promoting? Phone Post
1/18/13 3:59 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy

for snowman95

1/18/13 4:05 PM
dannyapodaca
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

N Phone Post
1/18/13 5:02 PM
Forrest Gimp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryan Hall's letter to the Martial Arts community:

http://livingthemartialarts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Open-Letter-to-the-Martial-Arts-Community-2.pdf

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.