UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> I'm behind the Lloyd Irvin power curve

1/16/13 11:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
i remember halloween
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can someone fill me in a paragraph or two on exactly what the accusations/proof is on the Lloyd Irvin thing?  There is too much spread too thin for me to try to piece it all together myself right now, but I'd like to become a bit more informed.  Who is Avellon?

1/16/13 11:46 AM
Drugs_Delaney
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for irvin incident go here

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2117767&forum=1&page=1&pc=26
1/16/13 11:49 AM
TexDeuce
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember the Alamo
1/16/13 11:49 AM
Tiides
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also http://www.lloydirvinrapeexposed.com/
1/16/13 11:50 AM
cheesesteak
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.lloydirvinrapeexposed.com
1/16/13 11:52 AM
Letibleu
1661 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All I have seen is the one newspaper article that is basically a collection of opinions about a trial. 

1/16/13 11:53 AM
Drugs_Delaney
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - http://www.lloydirvinrapeexposed.com

totally forgot about this gem.
1/16/13 11:57 AM
Drugs_Delaney

Letibleu - 

All I have seen is the one newspaper article that is basically a collection of opinions about a trial. 

heres another article i posted in the thread linked above. it has a few quotes from the trial.

http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-04-21/news/9004210056_1_irvin-two-men-young-woman

i know its not the transcripts we wish we had but it helps, at the least, paint a picture
1/16/13 12:04 PM
cheesesteak
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Letibleu - 

I hope your not one of those people who thinks "what else would a young girl expect to happen if she goes home with a bunch of guys"
1/16/13 12:19 PM
i remember halloween

cheesesteak - 
Letibleu - 

I hope your not one of those people who thinks "what else would a young girl expect to happen if she goes home with a bunch of guys"

Either way its a legit question.  Everyone involved in the story is an idiot and made terrible decisions - some criminal, some self harming.  Sounds like Lloyd's impotence was his saving grace?

1/16/13 12:24 PM
Frobenius

i remember halloween - 
cheesesteak - 
Letibleu - 

Either way its a legit question.  Everyone involved in the story is an idiot and made terrible decisions - some criminal, some self harming.  Sounds like Lloyd's impotence was his saving grace?

Yes, at least legally.
1/16/13 12:30 PM
spartancs
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lloyd claimed he wanted to but couldn't.  The98lb minor victim claimed he raped her while his buddy held her down.

1/16/13 12:45 PM
Black Belt Wrestling

His name is MASTER
1/16/13 12:51 PM
Tiides
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just sent a couple messages to Anonymous on facebook.

Reposting here because I tried to balance summarizing with giving some key details.

----

http://www.lloydirvinrapeexposed.com/
This is a seriously fucked up, still-developing story that we in the BJJ world are trying to shine some light on. I don't know if anyone has brought this issue to your attention yet, but more people need to be made aware.
Cliff-notes:
Lloyd Irvin Jr. was aquitted in 1990 for participating in a gang rape of a 17 year old girl, on the grounds that he wanted to participate, but suffered from impotence. 5 others were jailed in concurrent cases, for rape or sexual assault. The girl weighed 98 lbs and was punched in the face, and threatened to be thrown from the balcony of the room in which she was raped. She cried, "for God's sake I'm only 17," to which she was told to be a "soldier," and to "endure."
It was a technicality and loophole in the criminal justice system that allowed him to get off, as the reasonable doubt in the jury's mind that he did not rape her was created by the forced sodomy of her mouth by his friend, which obstructed her view and cast doubt on the identification. By his own admission he wanted to participate but couldn't. His friends were jailed for rape.
Cut to present day. Lloyd Irvin has built a "successful business" out of marketing gimmicks aimed towards the martial arts world. He runs an MMA/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu gym, and has several high profile students. This success is debatable, because although he claims to produce "MMA Millionaires," he currently has a tax lien and judgment against him from the IRS to the tune of $287148.68
(see here: http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/inquiryDetail.jis?caseId=FL113066&loc=65&detailLoc=PGV)
Lloyd has never publicly addressed his involvement in the rape.
The general mindset of his school is insular and cult-like.
Some of what they're known for are disingenuous, cheap tricks during BJJ matches.
Cut again to New Years Eve, several weeks back. Two of Lloyd's star pupils were arrested, following the discovery of security camera footage that showed them brutally raping a fellow student from Team Lloyd Irvin in the parking garage of a church.
(http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/10/3856994/team-lloyd-irvin-rape-case)
(http://www.fightopinion.com/2013/01/12/court-lloyd-irvin-students-rape/)
To coincide with this news becoming public, Lloyd Irvin began releasing press releases on the website PRWeb, pushing his rape prevention seminars. He uploaded videos to Youtube to further this SEO attempt.
Then his subordinates began defending him in his continued silence. One Black Belt of his, Phil Proctor, called the original Lloyd Irvin rape victim a "dirty whore who got to feeling guilty." Another Black Belt, Marcos Avellan, took to the forums at mixedmartialarts.com to defend his "master," which massively backfired, and he had the thread deleted in an attempt to stop the controversy before it snowballed.
Women deserve to know that someone who is teaching them to protect themselves from rape, was involved in a rape, and has never made any sort of contrition or apology for his involvement. It's not enough to point to a "not guilty" verdict as an attempt to stop discussion, when there are this many details available from which to draw logical conclusions.
There is a wealth more of information available with a little digging. I don't know if anything will come from this, but if at least a few other feathers are ruffled, it will be worthwhile. Please use your influence to give this story wings.
1/16/13 12:53 PM
Tiides

And this I just copied from Sherdog user and BloodyElbow writer, KJGould. Said as succinctly as needs to be.

---

http://articles.dailypress.com/1991-03-23/news/9103230104_1_woman-bowie-state-university-hampton-university

The protest is over Lloyd Irvin's lack of statement regarding if he is the same Lloyd Irvin from the 1989 gang rape incident, and if he is, the non-disclosure that he was involved in and charged as part of a gang rape to the women taking this seminar.
Also how he was acquitted but later implicated by Derrick C. Evans in his own trial, and had this testimony come before Irvin was acquitted, would likely have been enough to indict Irvin, suggesting he got away with it.
As per the article above:
Evans said the woman ordered everybody out but the first two men, but that the others crowded around the door. Later, after the crowd left, Gatling and Lloyd E. Irvin Jr. went in. Evans said he followed them in, sat at the foot of the bed and listened as the two men had sex with her.
``I was curious,'' he explained in a tense exchange with Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Aundria D. Foster.
Evans said that after Gatling and Irvin left the room, he approached the woman from behind and began massaging her shoulders. But when he tried to get her to lean back for him, she pushed him away and he fell off the bed. He said he immediately left the room.
Evans told his lawyer that he wanted to have sex with the woman, but ``only with her consent.''
On Thursday, the woman presented a much different version of the incident, which lasted into the early morning of Oct. 8.
She testified that she had already been raped and sodomized, and that some of the men in the apartment were holding her down when Evans approached her and tried to have sex. She said she freed herself just long enough to push him away.
She said Evans punched her in the mouth, cursed her and stormed off.
Smith, the physician, testified that the woman had a bruised lower lip when she came to Riverside.
This was written in March 23, 1991, so the 1989 Lloyd Irvin had been acquitted for nearly a year, back in April 1990. Evans, one of the rapists, testifies 1989 Irvin and Gatling had sex with with the victim. Ergo, 1989 Irvin couldn't have been impotent if we accept this aspect of Evan's testimony.
Then looking at the chronology of the victim's testimony regarding Evans, some of the men holding her down likely included 1989 Irvin and Gatling whom Evans only identified among the men in the room ahead of him. Ergo, if they were holding her down, they knew it was rape and not consensual, if we accept this aspect of the victim's testimony.
Evans was later convicted of attempted rape and sentenced to 5 years in prison.
The two testimonies indicate that 1989 Lloyd Irvin likely got away with rape, but his acquittal and the double jeopardy laws means nothing legally can be done about it.
Public opinion and the lack of reasonable doubt over this Irvin's actions, though, is going to stand and shouldn't be dismissed.
1/16/13 6:22 PM
Drugs_Delaney

i remember halloween - 
cheesesteak - 
Letibleu - 

"It was an emotional trial," one of the jurors, Barry Spigel, told me. "But we did a good job of getting rid of our own separate emotions and considering the evidence. The jury felt that there was reasonable doubt of whether a rape had occurred."

"I feel the girl was raped," said Bessie Singleton, another juror. "But the room where this happened was dark, and with all that was going on, it was unclear who was doing what."

"It's not over in my mind," Paul Hoyt, a third juror, confided. "These kinds of trials never are. You hope you call it correctly. I don't know what else you can do. We prayed to God for some guidance. I don't think anybody got any great revelations."

Without divine intervention, the trial turned on legal definitions. That's the only fair way, I know, but in this case it doesn't seem like enough.

Irvin walked free, not because he did the right thing and refused to have sex with a 17-year-old. He testified that he wanted to have intercourse with her but couldn't.

Gatling's rape charge stemmed from an accusation that he held the girl down while Irvin had intercourse with her. Since the jury believed Irvin didn't have intercourse, Gatling couldn't have helped him. So Gatling could be convicted only of forcing the 17-year-old to perform oral sex.
1/16/13 6:24 PM
Drugs_Delaney

they are beyond idiots. they are rapists.
1/16/13 6:34 PM
Handsome Jack
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Lloyd Irvin power curve".

Come on man. Phone Post
1/16/13 7:02 PM
GrahamJ

i remember halloween - 
cheesesteak - 
Letibleu - 

They told her there was a party, apparently - i.e., a lot of other people - of both genders -would be there.
1/16/13 7:15 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I nearly joined a Lloyd Irvin gym recently.

I definitely will not be doing so now.

I've no problems with the guy running the place so I've no interest in burying him but by his association I can't do this.

I get it that there are assholes, criminals and miscreants in everything but the teachers should be honorable and the name at the top should be a name worthy of praise. Phone Post
1/16/13 7:22 PM
SteelyRes211
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The way I understand it is that Lloyd's curve doesn't have much power behind it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.