UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nick Newell: I'd like my equal opportunity too

1/16/13 11:43 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

XFC lightweight champion Nick Newell, who is missing a portion of his left arm after a congenital amputation as a child, appeared Monday on Ariel Helwani's The MMA Hour. On the show he advocated forcefully for the equal treatment he has earned.

After the pre-fight press conference for UFC 155 in December, White threw cold water on the idea of ever giving a UFC contract to a one-handed fighter despite Newell's obvious progress in the sport.

Last month UFC president Dnaa White emphatically said he did not think Newell should be in the UFC.

"Never, no," said White. "It's hard to fight here with two arms. It's tough. There's guys that we bring in that are considered top guys on The Ultimate Fighter that don't ever really pan out and make it. Will the state of Nevada let him fight? Will the state of California let him fight? Would some of these bigger athletic commissions let him fight? Maybe he can get away with that in some of these other states. I don't know, fighting with one arm is just craziness to me."

White stance is obvious, but uninformed. Newell's record as well as the experience of fighters he has trained with all indicate he is at the level to be considered for a UFC contract.

"No matter how much I accomplish in this sport, it's always going to be something that gets brought up. I've come to terms with that," said Newell. "People will always look at me as being the guy with one hand."

"As much as I would like to be known and looked at for my fighting skill, it will always be an issue like with the whole Dana White interview. It's always going to be something that gets brought up."

"I've already been licensed in Nevada, so that's not really an issue. At all. It kinda disappoints me that someone that's such a powerful figure in this sport feels that way or looks at me that way."

"[The UFC] is where you can test yourself against the best guys in the world. I want to see where I stand among the world's elite fighters and I feel like I've earned my shot. Anyone else with my track record would be getting looked at, but it's due to outside circumstances."

"I don't get discouraged too much about things like that. I'm not going anywhere in this sport. I'm good. A lot of those guys in the UFC, just because they're in the UFC doesn't mean they can beat me. I think I match up really well with a lot of people in there.

"[White] wants to talk about how he wants to give people equal opportunity - to women, to gay fighters and stuff like that. Well, I'd like my equal opportunity as well."

"The MLB gave a shot to Jim Abbott, he did great. Even that chick on The Bachelor. They're giving her a shot."

Read entire article...

1/16/13 11:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kirik
1683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Nick Newell absolutely will do just fine in the UFC.

1/16/13 12:02 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MuayThai4Everyone - Are you joking!? Not to offend you. Unless there is a special rule where no one can hit the left side of his head, I don't see him winning any fight they UFC offers him. But just my opinion.

Wow, this is the best you can do for your fifth post?

The guy has 8 first round stoppages and is exciting as hell. He'd do better in the UFC then a lot of the lower-tier talent they have in their right now.  Have you seen him fight?  Watch him fight and them come back to to me.

1/16/13 12:04 PM
morse
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen - 
MuayThai4Everyone - Are you joking!? Not to offend you. Unless there is a special rule where no one can hit the left side of his head, I don't see him winning any fight they UFC offers him. But just my opinion.

The guy has 8 first round stoppages and is exciting as hell. He'd do better in the UFC then a lot of the lower-tier talent they have in their right now.  Have you seen him fight?  Watch him fight and them come back to to me.

+1

1/16/13 12:05 PM
PJ Benn Fan
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Anyone else with my track record would be getting looked at, but it's due to outside circumstances."

Not entirely true. Lots of fighters with great records dont or havent gotten their chance yet.

Has this guy tried out for TUF yet?

Has he received clearance from someone like Kizer that he would even be given a NSAC license?

1/16/13 12:06 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen -

well saod vixen. id think he would surprise a lot of people including dana if given the chance... Phone Post
1/16/13 12:06 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

said*** Phone Post
1/16/13 12:08 PM
Kirik
1683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
PJ Benn Fan - 

"Anyone else with my track record would be getting looked at, but it's due to outside circumstances."

Not entirely true. Lots of fighters with great records dont or havent gotten their chance yet.

Has he received clearance from someone like Kizer that he would even be given a NSAC license?

Why post about something before you read it?

""I've already been licensed in Nevada, so that's not really an issue. At all."

1/16/13 12:08 PM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor

Have you ever seen him fight?

1/16/13 12:09 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PJ Benn Fan -

He made it through TUF and is licensed in Nevada. Phone Post
1/16/13 12:14 PM
WelshWarrior

should get some of his fights from youtube I'm the thread to educate these numpty posters... he has a real talent Phone Post
1/16/13 12:14 PM
PJ Benn Fan
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen - 
PJ Benn Fan -

He made it through TUF and is licensed in Nevada. Phone Post

Ok so maybe he deserves a shot.

But maybe he just has to wait for Dana to warm up to the idea.

Dana also said at one point women will never fight in the UFC and its happening.

Maybe he will change his mind about this also!

If not though, thats his decision.

1/16/13 12:15 PM
Naderhood
808 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick is a friend of mine and I've trained with him many times. I've also trained with a ton of UFC fighters as well as Bellator guys. Nick is 100% capable of fighting in the UFC.

His arm, while it could be looked at as a disability in grappling, has become one of his best weapons. His fucking guillotine is nasty. Its every bit as much of an advantage as it is a drawback.

I'll name 3 UFC LW's off the top of my head that Nick can beat:

Clay Guida

Jamie Varner

Michael Chiesa

1/16/13 12:27 PM
mghan44
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The kid put away Eric Reynolds in like two minutes. It took Jorge Masvidal and Eddie Alvarez two more rounds to do it.

9-0 with 8 first round stoppages is an impressive start for anyone. Dana wanting to see a bit more from him is understandable. Dana saying it will never happen is kind of bullshit. If the kid keeps winning then not giving him a shot at something he earned would be a real dirty thing for Dana to do.

If we see 1 or 2 more solid wins from Nick, the UG needs to rally and get the ball rolling for Dana to give him a shot.
1/16/13 12:29 PM
PJ Benn Fan

Naderhood - 

Nick is a friend of mine and I've trained with him many times. I've also trained with a ton of UFC fighters as well as Bellator guys. Nick is 100% capable of fighting in the UFC.

His arm, while it could be looked at as a disability in grappling, has become one of his best weapons. His fucking guillotine is nasty. Its every bit as much of an advantage as it is a drawback.

I'll name 3 UFC LW's off the top of my head that Nick can beat:

Clay Guida

Jamie Varner

Michael Chiesa

Wow he could just walk right into the UFC and first fight beat Guida or Varner???

A little biased there no?

I mean Anthony fucking Pettis came into the UFC and got Guida'd in his first fight but your saying this kid could walk right in and beat clay?

Cmon nader.

I aint saying the kid isnt talented or doesnt deserve a shot but lets not get ahead of ourselves right now by saying he could walk right in and beat 2 guys in the top 15!

Could it happen? Sure. Sometimes styles make fights.

But the likelyhood of it happening in the manner you posted is extremely minimal considering both Varner and guida are still fairly relevant fighters.

Also I dont think we've seen enough of chisea to determine much at the moment.

If thats your honest to god opinion though, hey your entitled to it man!

1/16/13 12:36 PM
Naderhood
808 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To a fan of my sons father,

Styles make fights every single time. Nicks best attribute is his collegiate wrestling pedigree. Clay wouldnt be able to lay and pray on him because even if he could get Nick down, Nick is a very good brown belt in BJJ, and Nick's striking is lightyears beyond Clay's and he has KO power, which we all know is Clay Guida's biggest negative. These things added to the fact that Nick is a fucking finisher = Nick can beat him. Now if they fought 10 times Clay would also beat Nick, but the point is that Nick's tools are enough to beat Clay's tools on any given night, which is what this sport is all about.

Thats my point.

PS, Nick would beat Melvin Guillard handily.

1/16/13 12:38 PM
Naderhood

MuayThai4Everyone - Vixen, I have seen him fight, and I don't think he's top tier. I think for what he has achieved as a fighter is more than sensational, let alone fighting and winning with one arm.

Which fight did you see?

1/16/13 12:39 PM
Naderhood

Nick would also humiliate Cody Mckenzie

1/16/13 12:39 PM
ku3mm3t
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should be given a chance just like every other guy who paid his dues. He's a tremendous fighter. Phone Post
1/16/13 12:40 PM
shaqitup
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he keeps putting together wins i don't see how they can turn him down.

I also think he could be pretty damn good for marketing, why hasn't bellator hopped on him yet?
1/16/13 12:42 PM
Naderhood

I believe Nick is under contract with XFC, which is why he hasnt been scooped up yet.

BUT, props to XFC for taking a chance that a LOT of promotions wouldnt.

1/16/13 12:43 PM
PJ Benn Fan

Naderhood - 

To a fan of my sons father,

Styles make fights every single time. Nicks best attribute is his collegiate wrestling pedigree. Clay wouldnt be able to lay and pray on him because even if he could get Nick down, Nick is a very good brown belt in BJJ, and Nick's striking is lightyears beyond Clay's and he has KO power, which we all know is Clay Guida's biggest negative. These things added to the fact that Nick is a fucking finisher = Nick can beat him. Now if they fought 10 times Clay would also beat Nick, but the point is that Nick's tools are enough to beat Clay's tools on any given night, which is what this sport is all about.

Thats my point.

PS, Nick would beat Melvin Guillard handily.

First off LOL at fan of my sons father.

Second, hey man, I will respect your opinion and your right to have it.

True we dont always know what would happen until 2 guys fight.

I just think thats an incrdibly bold statement and from an outsiders point of view, I cannot agree with it.

But I guess we will agree to disagree and maybe one day Dana will change his mind.

1/16/13 12:51 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah. i mean why not...he is competing in real competitions with real competitors and doing well...perhaps dana is just understandably confused by the one-arm label...technically he has two arms, he just doesnt have one hand and one part of one forarm...

1/16/13 12:53 PM
mmavixen

Naderhood -
MuayThai4Everyone - Vixen, I have seen him fight, and I don't think he's top tier. I think for what he has achieved as a fighter is more than sensational, let alone fighting and winning with one arm.

Which fight did you see?

I'm curious as well. 8 first round stoppages???? Which fight did not impress you? Phone Post
1/16/13 12:58 PM
ComeatMeBro
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That Orc in the new Hobbit movie is bad ass and he only has one arm...this guy has my vote

All jokes aside the guy seems pretty legit, he is talented and to think the amount of fighters that have ducked him because their ego's would not allow them to live down losing to a one armed man...you know the guy's have ran in there quite confident

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.