UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nick Newell: I'd like my equal opportunity too

1/16/13 12:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick: "The only tool i don't have is a straight left...some guys can't kick and they're allowed to fight in the UFC. With no feet!"

Ariel: "...yeah and some guys have bad head movement..."

Nick: "Yeah! They let headless guys fight in the UFC, too!" Phone Post
1/16/13 1:35 PM
Sapa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bring him in. Bjj brown belt. Good wrestling pedigree. Not hesitant to fight standing.

Heck if they bought James toney in then why not! Phone Post
1/16/13 1:39 PM
AyyAnt
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im all for it, i watched one of his fights on youtube and the guy looks like a beast. If hes putting in the hours at the gym and working hard just like everyone else why shouldnt he get his shot?

WAR NICK
1/16/13 1:42 PM
MachidasStraightLeft
448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has every right to fight in the UFC.  He's earned it.

1/16/13 1:43 PM
Naderhood
802 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MuayThai4Everyone - Eric Reynolds, Chris Coggins, And Denis Hernandez.

The original post is about him having equal opportunity. I believe in equal opportunity, He knows the risk, but What would happen if his first fight in the UFC was a career ender? The way I'm looking at it is not just from Nick's point of view, but also from the UFC stand point. They have more to lose than gain.

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

He beats guys with a total record of 24-9, 1 by taking his back standing and RNCing him, 1 buy heel hooking him with his "short" arm, and 1 by decision in an amazing back and forth fight that had Nick almost choked out in an RNC that he defended with his "short" arm and you're saying with a straight face that he didnt impress you? The fight with Coggins outshines dozens of UFC fights that have happened this year.

LULZ

Nice Zuffa shirt, bro.

1/16/13 1:44 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

MachidasStraightLeft - 

he has the right for the opportunity...whether or not he has earned a spot in the ufc is another question...

1/16/13 1:46 PM
Masakyst
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see him make it to the UFC. Must be hard for him to find opponents, though. If they win, they beat the one handed guy. If they lose, they got beat by the one handed guy.
1/16/13 1:51 PM
MachidasStraightLeft
448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 
MachidasStraightLeft - 

he has the right for the opportunity...whether or not he has earned a spot in the ufc is another question...

Now that SF is done he's the undefeated LW champ of the 3rd biggest MMA promotion.  I'd say if he's not ready, he's pretty close.

1/16/13 1:53 PM
ajl416az

Edited: 01/16/13 1:59 PM
dude looks tough, but lets be realistic

if he wasn't handicapped, nobody would have ever heard of him. thats a fact.

his technical skills do not warrant the buzz or UFC talk he is getting at this stage of his career. he's got some skills, he's tough and he overcomes his handicap to beat low level guys.

but hes beaten like 3 guys with winning records, plus he fights for small organizations that stand to have extra financial gains if he gets winnable fights (i.e. free promotion from Dana White talking about their headliner

i don't doubt that he's tough (although, LOL at automatically assuming he can beat Melvin Guillard when he can't even cover body and head at the same time)

but the way for normal people to get to the UFC is a win over someone with a name, or a competitive showing against them. its no different for this dude.
talking won't change Dana's mind, only money. and he loses money if he lets a handicapped guy get killed on his watch, so the kid has to prove that he can beat UFC level fighters. and not some washed up old man either
1/16/13 1:58 PM
caposa
1601 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Needs a couple more solid wins before he's ready in my opinion, and that has nothing to do with his arm. Eric Reynolds was a good start but was only the 3rd opponent of his career with a winning record. The kid has been extremely impressive so far and if he can keep it up against decent competition he will be in the UFC.

1/16/13 2:02 PM
Barbalos

I was skeptical about Newell til I saw him fight. The man is vicious. I think he would be mid level in the UFC and could definitely win some fights.
1/16/13 2:05 PM
Jay ak

Edited: 01/16/13 2:11 PM

Naderhood,

Thank you for the insight on Nick... I find him to be an amazing fighter who has adapted his style to fit his body. I also find him to be an inspiration and class act, and any organization would benefit from him being in their stable of fighters.

Its really too bad Dana White made the comments he did regarding Nick, but I'm sure this will only add fuel to Nick's fire and continue to silence the nay sayers.

I am a huge fan and someone who has experienced similar treatment for a similar affliction, and believe me, it only motivates that person more when someone says he can't do it.

Props to you too Naderhood for looking beyond his physical situation and recognizing how talented Nick is.

Strength in Spirit leads to strength of mind and body, and Nick has shown he is the example in MMA.

J ak

1/16/13 2:07 PM
Twister Trent
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/16/13 2:08 PM

Kid's a monster, no doubt.

1/16/13 2:10 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheMastro - Also, no one wants to see this dude fight, no offense. Have fun in the other promotions who need every viewer they can get. Phone Post
I want to see him fight in the ufc... your an idiot who clearly hasnt read the thread before posting... plenty of UGers want him to gt his shot Phone Post
1/16/13 2:15 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twister Trent -

Kid's a monster, no doubt.

for sure this shpuld shut the haters up... Phone Post
1/16/13 2:24 PM
Naderhood
802 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 2 obvious shills are doing what they're paid to do.

Why does Nick need a glove on his arm? It's an elbow. He has one gloved hand and one elbow. When he spars he wears a pad on it so he can throw it like a punch but in a fight, he's throwing a legit elbow. No need for 2 gloves.

Hopefully Nick will post here as he is a UGer.

Why would Nick need to be able to cover up against Guillard when he can shoot on him and submit him if he wanted to? Phone Post
1/16/13 2:29 PM
Naderhood

Billytk - There's no way this guy should be allowed into the UFC it's simply not fair to the other athletes to make them fight the guy, either they look like dicks for beating up a one armed man or they look like pussies losing to him because they can't bring themselves to go all out on a disabled man. Either way they shouldn't be forced into the cage with him and if not forced I would assume they would all pass if "offered" a fight with him
So none of the college wrestlers Nick competed against should've wrestled him? He lost against good guys and won against good guys and nothin was said of it. Same goes for fighting, not 1 person who Nick has beaten has blamed it on his arm. Nobody has beaten him yet and until somebody does, nobody can claim it was because Nick only has 1 hand. Matt Hamill can't hear his corners during his fights, did that keep him from winning? Phone Post
1/16/13 2:29 PM
Naderhood

Also, he is anything but disabled. Phone Post
1/16/13 2:31 PM
ajl416az

Why would Nick need to be able to cover up against Guillard when he can shoot on him and submit him if he wanted to?

lol its a lot easier said then done

have you ever trained with someone at that level?
1/16/13 2:35 PM
Naderhood

ajl416az -
Why would Nick need to be able to cover up against Guillard when he can shoot on him and submit him if he wanted to?

Of course, my point is not that it's easy, my point is Nicks wrestling is good enough to do it. Phone Post
1/16/13 2:35 PM
Naderhood

ajl416az -

Also, have u read the thread? Phone Post
1/16/13 2:38 PM
mestregruber
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First of all, "after a congenital amputation as a child" is a very weird sentence. Congenital amputation means he was born without a limb.

Second, 2 of Newell's last 3 opponents are Bellator vets, and he made a good point in the interview, saying, "how am I supposed to beat UFC-level guys if I can't get a fight in the UFC?" The best he could do is beat some UFC washouts, and people would have excuses for that, too.

I am a big fan of Nick Newell, and I think he should get his shot eventually. I think there are probably lots of 9-0 fighters out there that aren't attracting UFC interest yet, but it is disconcerting that he apparently did well at the TUF tryouts (tapped his guy via omoplata), is able to be licensed in Nevada, and still gets dismissed out of hand (no pun intended). The fact that he is a champion in a relatively large organization should count for something, too.

No harm in him getting his name out there and giving it a shot, but it may be a bit early. Like Dana said, "fighting in the UFC is tough with two arms".
1/16/13 2:41 PM
Naderhood

mestregruber - First of all, "after a congenital amputation as a child" is a very weird sentence. Congenital amputation means he was born without a limb.

Second, 2 of Newell's last 3 opponents are Bellator vets, and he made a good point in the interview, saying, "how am I supposed to beat UFC-level guys if I can't get a fight in the UFC?" The best he could do is beat some UFC washouts, and people would have excuses for that, too.

I am a big fan of Nick Newell, and I think he should get his shot eventually. I think there are probably lots of 9-0 fighters out there that aren't attracting UFC interest yet, but it is disconcerting that he apparently did well at the TUF tryouts (tapped his guy via omoplata), is able to be licensed in Nevada, and still gets dismissed out of hand (no pun intended). The fact that he is a champion in a relatively large organization should count for something, too.

No harm in him getting his name out there and giving it a shot, but it may be a bit early. Like Dana said, "fighting in the UFC is tough with two arms".
Good post Phone Post
1/16/13 2:41 PM
32Hunter

mghan44 - The kid put away Eric Reynolds in like two minutes. It took Jorge Masvidal and Eddie Alvarez two more rounds to do it.

9-0 with 8 first round stoppages is an impressive start for anyone. Dana wanting to see a bit more from him is understandable. Dana saying it will never happen is kind of bullshit. If the kid keeps winning then not giving him a shot at something he earned would be a real dirty thing for Dana to do.

If we see 1 or 2 more solid wins from Nick, the UG needs to rally and get the ball rolling for Dana to give him a shot.

agreed.
1/16/13 2:47 PM
Naderhood

ObamaCare -

***IMO***

Any decent UFC fighter with a real training camp would just create a gameplan that he wouldnt be able to handle

having only 1 hand would limit him in many dangerous positions and his striking defense on that side would get exposed 

i say he could possibly pull off a win vs. some of the lower ranks but as soon as he fought 1 real solid fighter, he'd get beat down so bad and everyone would feel terrible for him

having a 1 arm guy get beaten unconscious by a trained killer, in the UFC cage?? Dana doesn't need that bad publicity

ESPN would run with it

Some good points but I disagree. I can understand the bad publicity issue if he did lose. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.