UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nick Newell: I'd like my equal opportunity too

1/16/13 11:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Masakyst
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/16/13 11:11 PM
They let a guy with no feet race in the Olympics.

Give Nick his shot!
1/16/13 11:16 PM
HolyHackZack
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You have one arm, some shits not equal. Should know that better than anyone.

Jokes aside though this guy is bad ass and I hope he gets a shot. Can't turn down the guy that earns it the hard way. Phone Post
1/16/13 11:19 PM
Bruham
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have my doubts, but I also have been impressed with his fights.

All he can do is keep winning and try to put the pressure on the UFC, or bellator, to at least talk about it. Phone Post
1/16/13 11:36 PM
TheFlood58
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Naderhood -

Nick is a friend of mine and I've trained with him many times. I've also trained with a ton of UFC fighters as well as Bellator guys. Nick is 100% capable of fighting in the UFC.

His arm, while it could be looked at as a disability in grappling, has become one of his best weapons. His fucking guillotine is nasty. Its every bit as much of an advantage as it is a drawback.

I'll name 3 UFC LW's off the top of my head that Nick can beat:

Clay Guida

Jamie Varner

Michael Chiesa

Clay is a FW now Phone Post
1/17/13 2:51 AM
Letibleu
1666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he doesnt punch with it, he uses only the elbow on that arm

1/17/13 7:39 AM
Naderhood
805 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TartanTopTeamsHeroinWhore -
Masakyst -
TartanTopTeamsHeroinWhore -  Not being disrespectful but shouldn't he have to put a glove of sorts on the end of the left arm? Phone Post

Why? It's just an elbow, and fighters strike with bare elbows all the time.

Gloves are there to protect the hands of the puncher. I don't think Nick needs to worry about breaking any fingers.
Dunno about that homie - if you think gloves are only there to protect the fighters hands and not the opponents jaws then try being hit with a 16oz glove compared to a 4oz glove.

That stump needs 4oz's of padding for it to be fair.

I feel for this guy but until they make a para olympic style mma org I real don't see how they can set a precedent with him. What if someone who's mentally retarded wants to fight? How about someone with no arms?

He should be pushing the para Olympic style mma cause, not trying to break into regular mma. How would you feel if you were the fighter that beat him senseless? I'm sure UFC fighters aren't keen on the prospect of beating up handicapped people. Phone Post
For one, its not a fucking stump, it's an elbow. An elbow just like the rest of the elbows in the UFC. And somebody might beat him in a fight, but they won't be beating him senseless. They'll beat Nick just like Nick beat everybody he's faced so far, but lets not act like he's gonna get killed because he has 1.5 arms. Everybody he's faced was supposed to beat him and Nick whipped all their asses. Phone Post
1/17/13 7:43 AM
DJ_Saffiedine's_Sweaty_Sac_Supporter

hmmm my post was deleted?

1/17/13 7:54 AM
Big Pookie
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The kid deserves a chance. Put him on TUF and I bet the ratings will sky rocket.

Or they could have him fight Clay Guida where at least we know he won't be KO'd cold.
1/17/13 9:44 AM
The Real Asian Cowboy
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is no Kyle Maynard. But I say that he is not ready for the UFC due to experience. Anyone that doubts his abilities as an MMA fighter should watch some of his fights. A guy with basically one arm RNC'd a very experiened Eric Reynolds. And Eric Reynolds is no slouch.
1/17/13 12:12 PM
Mat Santos
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bump
1/17/13 12:21 PM
ajl416az

Edited: 01/17/13 12:22 PM
LOL at your boy beating Jamie

didn't see that one earlier
1/17/13 12:41 PM
Naderhood
805 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TartanTopTeamsHeroinWhore - 
Naderhood -
Masakyst -
TartanTopTeamsHeroinWhore -  Not being disrespectful but shouldn't he have to put a glove of sorts on the end of the left arm? Phone Post

Gloves are there to protect the hands of the puncher. I don't think Nick needs to worry about breaking any fingers.
Dunno about that homie - if you think gloves are only there to protect the fighters hands and not the opponents jaws then try being hit with a 16oz glove compared to a 4oz glove.

I feel for this guy but until they make a para olympic style mma org I real don't see how they can set a precedent with him. What if someone who's mentally retarded wants to fight? How about someone with no arms?

He should be pushing the para Olympic style mma cause, not trying to break into regular mma. How would you feel if you were the fighter that beat him senseless? I'm sure UFC fighters aren't keen on the prospect of beating up handicapped people. Phone Post
For one, its not a fucking stump, it's an elbow. An elbow just like the rest of the elbows in the UFC. And somebody might beat him in a fight, but they won't be beating him senseless. They'll beat Nick just like Nick beat everybody he's faced so far, but lets not act like he's gonna get killed because he has 1.5 arms. Everybody he's faced was supposed to beat him and Nick whipped all their asses. Phone Post
In the photo it looked like a stump after the elbow. But regardless, my other points apply - it sets a dangerous precedent - where do you draw the line? No arms? No legs? Wheelchairs?

I still think most UFC fighters wouldn't relish the prospect if having themselves in full mount on this one armed dude raining down elbows and punches while he flails his stump around. That's not something you want on your highlight reel. Phone Post

I underdstand your points. Until Nick is well known to the casual MMA fan as being a great fighter above being a guy with one arm, guys wont want the stigma that would come with beating a guy perceived to be at a physical disadvantage. However, I think drawing a line would be determined by a fighters level of success. If a guy with one leg was kicking the shit out of people the way that all-american wrestler with one leg kicked the shit out of everybody to win at nationals, then I think he'd earn a chance to compete at the highest levels. At a certain point though, the physical limitation would be too much of a hindrance for a fighter to be successful in spite of. My point though, is that Nick's "disability" isnt enough to keep from competing at a high level.

Eventually he'll be known as a bad muthafucka first, before being known as a guy with one arm.

And as a kicker, he's a GREAT interview and does phenomenally well as a spokesman for the sport as well as being great with people. Thats more than can be said for a lot of guys in the UFC who fight, but are fucking assholes and do a shit job of relating to the fans of the sport.

1/18/13 9:08 AM
Mat Santos
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/18/13 9:22 AM
FreakDaddy
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he keeps winning it will happen......
1/18/13 9:32 AM
Jill Laz

To be honest I'm surprised everyone including Dana is making such a big deal about it he fights like a mad man PLUS since the UFC is about fighters being marketable imagine the human interest how many folks will tune in or go to see a card based on the curiosity factor "hey I wonder how a kid with one hand fights I have to see this" I mean the UFC has a ton of "maybe guys" on the bottom of their weight class lists..it's good and good business so do it Dana :) Phone Post
1/19/13 8:05 AM
Jill Laz

Naderhood -
Masakyst -

In the photo it looked like a stump after the elbow. But regardless, my other points apply - it sets a dangerous precedent - where do you draw the line? No arms? No legs? Wheelchairs?

I still think most UFC fighters wouldn't relish the prospect if having themselves in full mount on this one armed dude raining down elbows and punches while he flails his stump around. That's not something you want on your highlight reel. Phone Post
Are you serious so what you seem to be saying is the way the arm feels or is looked at bothers you I've seen his fights if he is over you it will not matter what "touches" you because it won't be for long before they end the fight also the precedent issue if someone could use the same equipment in the cage and fight like everyone else they should be aloud (so don't fret wheelchairs would be out) Phone Post
1/20/13 8:04 PM
Mat Santos

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.