UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones to Cormier: 'Just do it'

1/16/13 12:06 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Jones didn’t bat an eye when Daniel Cormier threatened to “kick his ass” during Saturday’s live Showtime broadcast.

“You know, the guy is a tremendous athlete and I wish he would just do it and just stop talking about it,” Jones said of Cormier on FUEL TV’s UFC Tonight. “I am open to fighting the best guys in the world.”

First things first for both fighters. Jones must successfully defend his throne against Chael Sonnen at UFC 159, while Cormier has to make his big league debut in triumphant fashion against Frank Mir on April 20th.

In addition, Cormier has to shed the excess weight required to hit the 205-pound mark on the scale.

Read entire article...

1/16/13 12:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nucky
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a tremendous athlete but he can't make 205 to save his life.

1/16/13 12:07 PM
danggook

Nucky -

Based on??? Phone Post
1/16/13 12:17 PM
HandyDarsh
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nike paid jones to say that Phone Post
1/16/13 12:19 PM
disbeliever
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
If Daniel devoted himself to losing the excess weight in a healthy way (i.e. body fat) and not just water weight, he would be a force at 205 and potentially a champion IMO
1/16/13 12:25 PM
jude099

danggook - 
Nucky -

Based on??? Phone Post

Based on his hospitalization following a terrible Beijing cut.

Cormier has nothing for Jones, and if he DOES manage to make the weight, I don't believe he'll be anywhere near as strong as he would need to be. It'll be Rumble vs Vitor.

1/16/13 12:28 PM
EG6
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't believe it, but I find myself actually agreeing with JJ for once lol
1/16/13 12:34 PM
YonYones

What an awkwardly worded response
1/16/13 12:35 PM
BOMDC
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jude099 - 
danggook - 
Nucky -

Based on??? Phone Post

Based on his hospitalization following a terrible Beijing cut.

Cormier has nothing for Jones, and if he DOES manage to make the weight, I don't believe he'll be anywhere near as strong as he would need to be. It'll be Rumble vs Vitor.

This has been brought up Dozens of times. Cormier tried to cut too much water weight and not as focused on his dieting and thought he could make it. Recomping is not the same as cutting 100% water for the cut. Pretty obvious he has some fat that could be shed, might lose some strength but wouldn't be too significant if he did it right.
1/16/13 12:38 PM
9ersKAEPedmyfudgehole

Cat Shannon - He's 5'11" and can't make 205?

he doesnt look 5'11"
1/16/13 12:38 PM
djones
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the fight would be similar to Jones vs Evans...... Jones TD defense plus his length = bad night for Cormier

1/16/13 12:40 PM
Authority Figure

I'm game. I like that both are willing. Now let's see if they are able. Phone Post
1/16/13 1:00 PM
shaqitup
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this thread and or Jon Jones's comments represented by the NIke Marketing campaign.

After the fight he'll be saying, I just did it.
1/16/13 1:29 PM
Filo_Beto

djones - 

I think the fight would be similar to Jones vs Evans...... Jones TD defense plus his length = bad night for Cormier

Apples and oranges comparison combined with some illogical mma math.

They are completely different fighters and have different approaches to wrestling which I believe is what you are equivicating as far mma skills. One fighters wreslting is leaps and bounds better then the other.

Plus you have to rewatch the evans vs. jones fight from what I can recall he rarely tried to take jones down.
1/16/13 1:32 PM
Filo_Beto

LilBrockonmychest - Cormier definitely seems to be going in the right direction. For a few SF fights, he was 247-249lbs. He was 237 for the Barnett fight and 230lbs for the Staring fight. However, we don't know how he will perform at a lighter weight. Not everyone is at their ideal fight weight when they cut alot (Mayhem, Lawlor, Hendo, Anthony Johnson, Nick Diaz, etc...).

230 lbs is a very common weight for cutting down to 205 or I should say a starting point.

If he starts to walk around at 220 which is only 10lbs lighter then he currently is then it should not be any problem performing at lower weight.
1/16/13 1:38 PM
djones
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/16/13 1:40 PM
Filo_Beto - 
djones - 

They are completely different fighters and have different approaches to wrestling which I believe is what you are equivicating as far mma skills. One fighters wreslting is leaps and bounds better then the other.

Plus you have to rewatch the evans vs. jones fight from what I can recall he rarely tried to take jones down.

You are mistaken... I wasnt comparing the 2 fighters at all, never even mentioned that... but I did say that I feel a fight between the 2 would be similar to the Evans fight.... Cormier is a fantastic wrestler, but he needs to get inside Jones reach to even accomplish a takedown. Something that most of his opponents could not do (which is why Evans rarely tried to take Jones down).....  seems my mma math is a little more logical than your reading of my post and reaching for assumptions.... 

1/16/13 1:58 PM
Tank by gogoplata
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

djones - 
Filo_Beto - 
djones - 

You are mistaken... I wasnt comparing the 2 fighters at all, never even mentioned that... but I did say that I feel a fight between the 2 would be similar to the Evans fight.... Cormier is a fantastic wrestler, but he needs to get inside Jones reach to even accomplish a takedown. Something that most of his opponents could not do (which is why Evans rarely tried to take Jones down).....  seems my mma math is a little more logical than your reading of my post and reaching for assumptions.... 

so you're insinuating that Cormier couldn't get inside to take down Jones? I respectfully disagree.

Personally, I believe a shorter, stocky fighter can play against Jones' reach.

If Cormier can get inside, I could see him ragdolling Jones. He would need to close the distance, though and that is easier said than done.

In a five round fight between the two, I believe Cormier would eventually close the distance and drag the fight to the ground and force Jones' out of his comfort zone.

I'm actually slightly intrigued to see how Jones' defends against Chael's takedowns, but I foresee a triangle victory for Jones in that fight. Just my humble opinion.
1/16/13 2:02 PM
Filo_Beto

djones - 
Filo_Beto - 
djones - 

My bad if I overreached on what I thought was a comparison between to the 2 fighters. It's my belief that cormier will be able to close the distance due to his olympic level wrestling pedigree which jones has yet to face in his career. We shall see.
1/16/13 2:05 PM
Tank by gogoplata
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he needs good footwork to close the distance as well as setting up his takedowns with strikes. His wrestling won't help him close the distance unless he tries to chain wrestle.
1/16/13 2:08 PM
djones

Filo_Beto - 
djones - 
Filo_Beto - 
djones - 

My bad if I overreached on what I thought was a comparison between to the 2 fighters. It's my belief that cormier will be able to close the distance due to his olympic level wrestling pedigree which jones has yet to face in his career. We shall see.

You could be correct... I like Cormier, and I think his wrestling will be a huge advantage if he can get in his reach.... if he can do that... he can be champ for sure....I just havent seen anyone really do that yet... 

1/16/13 2:16 PM
Tank by gogoplata

Also, to those saying Cormier couldn't make the weight, there is a big difference between making weight on the same day as competition and making weight the day before. He would have the opportunity to rehydrate his body. He wrestled at 184 in college, IIRC, so it is not plausible to assume he can't make the weight.

If Cormier diets down properly to 205, he could be a champion, if not top 5 for certain.
1/16/13 4:10 PM
Filo_Beto

LilBrockonmychest - 
Filo_Beto - 
LilBrockonmychest - Cormier definitely seems to be going in the right direction. For a few SF fights, he was 247-249lbs. He was 237 for the Barnett fight and 230lbs for the Staring fight. However, we don't know how he will perform at a lighter weight. Not everyone is at their ideal fight weight when they cut alot (Mayhem, Lawlor, Hendo, Anthony Johnson, Nick Diaz, etc...).

230 lbs is a very common weight for cutting down to 205 or I should say a starting point.

If he starts to walk around at 220 which is only 10lbs lighter then he currently is then it should not be any problem performing at lower weight.

You are correct it is a normal starting point. But it's also a unique case considering the last time he reached even 211 lbs he nearly died and it ended his wrestling career. I know people like to say "oh he will do it right this time, etc..." but last time he was competing in the Olympics. It's not like he was some noob that didn't understand dieting/cutting and now he is more experienced. He wasn't even able to work out for 1 year last time because of the damage done to his kidneys/body. Who knows how his body will react once he begins cutting for the first time since he almost died.

But we don't know what his weight was before he starting cutting. From what I understood he was way to heavy prior to cut.
1/16/13 4:19 PM
elburrogrande
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filo_Beto - 
LilBrockonmychest - 
Filo_Beto - 

You are correct it is a normal starting point. But it's also a unique case considering the last time he reached even 211 lbs he nearly died and it ended his wrestling career. I know people like to say "oh he will do it right this time, etc..." but last time he was competing in the Olympics. It's not like he was some noob that didn't understand dieting/cutting and now he is more experienced. He wasn't even able to work out for 1 year last time because of the damage done to his kidneys/body. Who knows how his body will react once he begins cutting for the first time since he almost died.

But we don't know what his weight was before he starting cutting. From what I understood he was way to heavy prior to cut.

I believe it was in the 250lbs range. Cormier just weighed in at 230 without cutting. He could make 205 in a week. I really dont think there is even a need to diet. hes there
1/16/13 4:21 PM
RPBJJ
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

be funny if the BOTH lost their next fights...
1/16/13 5:41 PM
Bipolar

Edited: 01/16/13 5:46 PM
I feel like I'm missing something here. The weight limit for HW is 265. DC weighed in at 230 for his last fight, yet people are saying that he cut down from around 250 for the weigh-in. But unless he was walking around at a weight in excess of 265, why would he have cut weight for the weigh-in, as the reason for cutting is to make weight? It follows from what I've just said that 230 was likely his walk around weight. If that is correct, then he's practically where he needs to be in order to cut to 205 right now, although he might be wise to lose about 10-15 more lbs to be on the safe side. <br /><br />

So what am I missing? Did he really cut down to 230 his last fight or not? And if he did, why?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.