UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dwight Howard: Nikola Pekovic could be MMA champ

1/17/13 1:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Deaf Forever
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/17/13 1:56 AM
Anyone on an NBA starting lineup (even the Wizards and Bobcats) could become a top 10 MMA fighter with 2.5 years of training and at least half could become champion. Jon Jones (who is by no means a "freak" athlete but rather a run of the mill ACTUAL athlete) exposed how pathetic MMA is as far as the talent pool is concerned. Machida, Rampage, Shogun, and Evans were exposed as little more than skilled tuff guys and NOT elite athletes by ANY means.
1/17/13 2:00 AM
Addo
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ - 
gamer - Hispanics and latinos dominate most of the lower weight calsses in boxing

The heavier wight classes in boxing are dominated mostly by Europeans (HW is dominated by a Russain for example)

And boxing is very popular around the world and has the world to draw from for talent. Much BIGGER talent pools because of all of that

p.s

I think hispanics will start to take over MMA once MMA starts to become popular in Mexico

There are a lot of natural born fighters in Mexico, who LOVE TO FIGHT, but they are all choosing to box from a young age

If only you could get them to start doing MMA from a young age instead, THEN the talent pool will dramtic rise, and we will start to see some LEGITIMATE TALENTS in MMA

Imagine an Oscar De La Hoya who grew up training in MMA instead? JUST damnnn!

Imagine a Cezar Chaves who trained in MMA instead?

Damnnnnn!

Hell imagine if Canelo Alveraz trained MMA instead

Skill wise he would FAR SURPASS anything that Jones' big goofy ass is capable of

Canelo would be a legit star in MMA!

Latinos WILL ALWAYS dominate most of combat sports, but at this point, there IS LITTLE INTETEST IN MMA from latinos or in most latino countries

Think about this, there is very little interest and yet a large portion of great UFC champs still have been Latino...So just imagine what will happen once interest in MMA really starts to pick up with Latinos

I think Mexico should be the next big push. Mexicans LOVE FIGHTING. Lots of real talent will come out of Mexico
.....Thiaguy? Phone Post

Jesus Cain take it easy
1/17/13 2:03 AM
Deaf Forever

gamer - 
renofheavens - The Black Mamba Kobe Bryant. He just has that finishers mentality that could translate well into MMA.

LMAO NOPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5No9p9SEY2E

Look at how pathetic that elbow was from Koby

And what is sad is that most big NFL or NBA athletes throw "punches" just like that haha

Koby doesnt even deserve to be called the "black momba"

There is some savage Russian kid in Russia right now who could fight his ass of who deserves that nickname more then Koby does hahaha

Outside of boxing, most Russian combat athletes are Sambo practising BUMS who make fools of themselves in garbage ass M-1 events. LMFAO if Kobe was trained to the extent of Jon Jones he would embarrass the entire sport of MMA (which is sad because Kobe really is kinda soft). Jon Jones used to punch like a girl now he's dropping Machida and outstriking Belfort with very little effort.

Kemba Walker would be a UFC champion with a few years of training.
1/17/13 2:05 AM
Cotton
691 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bruce Bowen in his prime could probably fight. Dude was tough as hell. Same with Anthony Mason. This is all nonsense because we have no clue of anyone's fight skills, but I bet some of the athletic swing men that got 6'6"+ and could cut to 205 could be trouble if they knew how to fight.
1/17/13 2:06 AM
bknumber1
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone was doing such a good job of ignoring the troll at first. Shhhhh...if you don't feed him he will go away eventually. Phone Post
1/17/13 2:11 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cotton - Bruce Bowen in his prime could probably fight. Dude was tough as hell. Same with Anthony Mason. This is all nonsense because we have no clue of anyone's fight skills, but I bet some of the athletic swing men that got 6'6"+ and could cut to 205 could be trouble if they knew how to fight.

Allen Iverson would have been a killer fighter at featherweight too. He had the intensity and mentality to fight too. Of course he is just about the most athletic NBA player ever and could have probably been tremendous at any sport had he played it professionally.

1/17/13 2:24 AM
blanko
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nba guys are athletic, have great coordination for their size and great agility for their size. So what if a guys who never learned how to throw a punch throws sissy punches? Look at their base like coordination, agility, size and explosiveness. Posting videos of guys who never trained acting like they never trained solves nothing. Heck some mma fighters have been training for years and still can't throw a decent combination.
1/17/13 2:40 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gamer - ....

I'm simply talking about Allen Iverson. This guy wasn't normal. He was the Associated Press High School player of the year in both basketball and football in his junior year of high school. I don't think anyone else has ever done that before. He played quarterback and defensive back, and the people of Virginia swear he is the greatest football player in the history of the state. And Michael Vick is from the same freaking town.

Iverson is a true freak of nature. He was known to be able to spend all night partying and then go score 40+ and play 42 minutes. At 5'11" and about 160 pounds, Iverson took a serious physical pounding every night., more so than anyone in league history maybe. And he would still lead the league in minutes and play in almost every game every year. He had a crazy intensity and intimidating factor to his game. He had the mentality that he could have fought if he wanted to and there isn't a doubt in my mind about it.

I don't say this about many guys, but Iverson was truly a freak athlete in every sense of the phrase. He was on a different level of speed, quickness, jumping ability, toughness and durability. He is a once in a generation athlete and a rare guy who really could have excelled at any sport he put the effort in to be great at.

1/17/13 3:16 AM
Greg Southworth

I took Scott Coker and Randy Couture to OKC vs Minnesota last Wednesday and we all laughed about the Andre resemblance Phone Post
1/17/13 3:17 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

We have former basketball and football players in the UFC, stupid. Playing basketball automatically means they aren't tough enough for mma? Look up the list of injuries Iverson played through and do some research about what he put his body through every year.

There are tough athletes in every sport. Tons of the fighters in the UFC come from sports like soccer. It makes zero sense to assume that nobody from another sport could fight. Phone Post
1/17/13 3:18 AM
Lex_o

Awesome Pek is one of the toughest big men in the game right now gets a lot of rebounds off of bein so strong in the paint. koo Howard was giving him his respect. A fat neck is the 2nd thing I look at after checking out how bad dudes ears when decided to fight or not Phone Post
1/17/13 3:55 AM
wink91wink

Jeff Samardzija was a WR for Notre Dame that was projected to be drafted in the NFL, but instead chose to pitch for the cubs.

Russell Wilson was drafted by the Orioles in 2007 but instead wanted to play football, and is now starting on the Seahawks.

Antonio Gates averaged 20 and 7 for Kent State, and helped them reach the elite 8 his senior year, and is now one of the best TE's in the NFL.
1/17/13 4:06 AM
wink91wink

gamer - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  We have former basketball and football players in the UFC, stupid. Playing basketball automatically means they aren't tough enough for mma? Look up the list of injuries Iverson played through and do some research about what he put his body through every year.

There are tough athletes in every sport. Tons of the fighters in the UFC come from sports like soccer. It makes zero sense to assume that nobody from another sport could fight. Phone Post

"It makes zero sense to assume that nobody from another sport could fight"

You fuckin moron. You and others have said that NBA players / NFL players would be great fighters just because they are "athletes"

Thats what im arguing against. You are being absurd and are saying things that I never implied.

p.s soccer players WILL TRANSITION A LOT BETTER INTO MMA because of the endurance and insane cardio soccer takes. Plus the fact that in soccer you learn how to use your feet, how to kick, and how to stay cordinated with footwork. It applies a lot to MMA actually!

Football and basketaball requires NOTHING that would help you for MMA. Just maybe size and muscles haha

In fact football would HURT you because you are taught to explode for 10 seconds at a time, then you go on the bench and wait 10 minutes before exploding for another 10 seconds hahaha

That kind of cardio training in football would ruin you in MMA and does not apply to how MMA works

Do you want to grasp for more straws now?

You would have to be entirely ignorant to say you don't need to be coordinated with footwork in basketball or football. As for football, you don't "explode for 10 seconds, then go to the bench." Players have to explode for "10 seconds" multiple times, and do so against people pushing them back. You act like MMA is nonstop punching and wrestling for all 5 minutes of the each round. Half the time fighters are sizing each other up.
1/17/13 4:06 AM
Enemies

Bet you Rousey would armbar him within 15 seconds.
1/17/13 4:13 AM
wink91wink

Oh and also, Pek has an insanely big neck, Dwight is right.

http://youtu.be/sRgoNKFYmgc?t=46s

1/17/13 4:27 AM
tres_equis_666
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

xXJayRobXx - Lebron James Phone Post
Won't pass the PED screening Phone Post
1/17/13 4:32 AM
Forrest Spliffn

Lebron would be a big heavy

Imagine a prime Shaq had he spent all his time throwing punches instead of dunking.
To this day no one has matched his power and explosiveness at the center position. Phone Post
1/17/13 4:58 AM
wink91wink

gamer - Haha to most Americans, some one like LeBron is a super indestructable human who can leap buildings and who can catch bullets with his teeth

Just ridiculous

Why are Americans this retarded?

Ahhh here lies the truth in why this guy is so anti-football/basketball. I'm assuming he is British due to talk of soccer translating so well. People may think Lebron could transition to MMA well because he is 6'8, 250lbs, fast as hell, and built like a tank.

And are you really trying to argue soccer players would do better in MMA? Are you honestly joking? Look, I watch a lot of soccer, especially the epl, as well as nba, and nfl. Soccer players have great cardio but are no where near as physically gifted as NFL or NBA players. They are also some of the biggest floppers in all of athletic competition. That environment translates IN NO WAY to MMA. The biggest guys on the field are usually the CB's and they are rarely more than 200 lbs. Look at the NFL with guys like Patrick Willis, James Harrison, Leron Landry ext. They are built to fuck people up. Obviously they have no MMA training, but why would being in the NFL stop them from learning?

Also your statements about different types of cardio working is nonsense. They are professional athletes. They train cardio, as it is THEIR JOB. They get cut if they can't keep up, and as your are from Britain, you obviously don't watch much NFL, and realize how much fucking stamina it takes to play at the level they do.

Also, you still don't see how the footwork in the NFL or NBA would translate? Please explain to me how the footwork of passing a ball around would help more than that of keeping your feet while being blocked?

You British people always seem to have to resort to "Oh, American's are so stupid, blah blah blah." JUST BACK UP YOUR ARGUMENT. Don't try to act like you are on some pedestal, because you are using the same old points over and over, and can't resort to anything else.
1/17/13 5:08 AM
wink91wink

Edited: 01/17/13 5:12 AM
<blockquote>FedorFalconPunch - Some of you guys are so brainwashed by MMA oops (UFC), Im literally nearly crying laughing at some of your posts.<br /><br />Alot of UFC fighters today in the UFC are terrible athletes and couldnt make EVER make it to the NBA, NFL.<br /><br />Now alot of NBA players and NFl players could transition to MMA fairly easy. Im guessing most of you sit on your computer and never competed in football or basketball at any level. Basketball= Supreme footwork over anyone, Football = Tackling rag dolling kids to the ground.<br /><br />For god sake brendon SCHUAB HAHAH was knocking dudes out in the UFC easily. you dont think Patrick Willis wouldnt KO a dude in 1 punch? LOL Lebron James if he trained MMA for 2 years would be a dominate force.<br /><br />"takes skill to get punched in the head" No it doesnt Its a matter of you can take it or not, and most can take it and has to do with some luck also. 1 day you dont get KO'ed, 1 day you could get KO'ed. Most UFC fighters are not great athletes, they are just training 24 7, on super supplements, HGH, and its so funny you guys HEX Josh barnette from MMA , when its already proven, 90 percent of MMA fighters, use PED/HGH.<br /><br />Laughable</blockquote><br /> Exactly! Not to mention Matt Mitrione, and Herschel Walker have also made the transition pretty smoothly.

EDIT: Agree with the first part, second seems a bit extreme
1/17/13 5:22 AM
wink91wink

gamer - ^ i have backed up my arguments

Go back and read some of my posts you reatrded douch bag

Funny how you choose to respond to that post intead of all the other posts where I made my points etc

Look, I am not British, but sorry i dont have the same ignornat views of the world as you do

U.S.A!!! U.S.A!!!! #1!!!!

Is that better for you!

As for this:

"People may think Lebron could transition to MMA well because he is 6'8, 250lbs, fast as hell, and built like a tank^ I have backed up all my arguments"

LOL

Ive seen Lebron throw a punch. He literally punches like a little girl. Its pathetic

Plus I bet you he has a weak chin and would have no HEART once fists were flying at his face or once he gets hit

Fighters are FIGHTERS, NOT prissly American ATHLETES 

Americans say that about Lebron becausse they are delusional and dont have a clue, thats including you

Lebron is great at basketball because he dedicated his whole life to putting a ball through a hoop

The act of fighting IS COMBAT AND THAT IS SOMETHING SO MUCH MORE difficult then ANY American show sports

First of all, you avoided every single question in my post. And Lebron may not know how to punch like an MMA fighter, you know why? HE HASN'T FUCKING TRAINED. Which is what we are talking about. Athletes that could transition from their sport to MMA. That would require them learning the basics of fighting MMA.

Second, you obviously have some problem, because you are sterotyping all Americans the same. The "USA" chant is having pride in our country, not saying we are better than anyone else.

Also, you saying "I bet you he has a weak chin and would have no HEART once fists were flying at his face or once he gets hit" is NO ARGUMENT WHAT SO EVER. Nobody gives a shit what you bet, that holds about as much truth as me saying "LEBRON WOULD KNOCK EVERYONE OUT."

Lastly just to make you look like a complete idiot, Al Harrington took up MMA to stay active during the lockout last year. Here's a video on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqYasKhqeuo

Can he not punch either?
1/17/13 5:40 AM
Rookie Fighter

Metta world peace beats everyone in mma Phone Post
1/17/13 5:44 AM
wink91wink

gamer - "First of all, you avoided every single question in my post"

You NEVER answered any of the points I brought up in previous and more serious posts of mine

Instead you choose to answer to that one funny post of mine

Just lol

I dont have an obligation to respond to anything you say

You are fasley assuming im a british. You are going off on me for your assumptions

You have been enough of a tard.

Me assuming you were british had little to nothing to do with my post aside from your hate on americans. Go back to the last page! I did respond to one of your older posts, which you never responded to me on. But if all you can do is call me a "douch bag" and a "tard" and not respond to the points I'm making, than you obviously have a weak argument.

What are the points you have made?

-Other athletes don't have the heart of a champion like fighters do?

IfHerschel Walker, Brenden Schaub, and Matt Mitrione had it, why couldn't countless others?

-Football and Basketball won't help with any of the skills needed to be a fighter

Footwork is needed in both, as well as insane cardio for football. Balance is heavily needed in MMA, and is also incredibly important in football. ex blocking.

I literally read through all your posts, and could not find any other valid point that I haven't answered. If you would like to pose one for me, than go right ahead.

1/17/13 6:04 AM
wink91wink

gamer - "Also your statements about different types of cardio working is nonsense. They are professional athletes. They train cardio, as it is THEIR JOB. They get cut if they can't keep up"

Yeah because all those 300 pound lineman in the NFL who need an oxygen mask on the side limes have such great cardio

Football doesn't require the cardio MMA does. Not even by a long shot

Football players are able to "keep up" because their line of work only requires cardio for 10 seconds every other 10 minutes

When a football player is taught to explode for only 10 seconds at a time for all his life, that is going to stick, and it will be drilled into him.

Put that same "conditioned" NFL player in an MMA match and he gasses out within two minutes of the fight

The only way an NFL player has good cardio, is if he changes everything he has been taught by football, and adapts to the style and pace of MMA

Which would be highly unlikely considering he was coming from footbal and that his body had already been taught to go for 10 second explosive bursts and then rest etc

That just proves my point that being a good football player DOESN'T MAKE YOU a good FIGHTER

There is NFL cardio, AND THEN THERE IS MMA CARDIO. Its a world of differenece

Where are getting this 10 second burst, then a 10 minute rest? How does that even make any sense? They do plays over and over before there is a change of possession. An MMA fight is 15 minutes, or 25 minutes max. An NFL game has 60 game minutes, now its safe to assume one player is on the field for 30 minutes of actual game time. That's 30 minutes of someone who is trained to knock you over coming right for you and you having to keep them away. You obviously have never played football so you have NO IDEA how much cardio that requires.

And it's funny how you just mention lineman. There are WR's who have to run 40 yard routes on every one of those "10 second bursts" and they do this will someone is pushing them and trying to get them out of position.

Also as I said before, Brenden Schaub did it, Matt Mitrione did it, and Herschel Walker did it. These are NOWHERE NEAR as good as the best of the NFL, and they have been able to do it. It's safe to assume the best could do a little better.

Now if you would like to answer any of my points, go ahead, because I have been waiting for about 3 comments now.
1/17/13 6:08 AM
wink91wink

gamer - "Also, you still don't see how the footwork in the NFL or NBA would translate?"

In basketball you are just dribbling a basketball with your hands and then shoot it into a tiny hoop

Again, that doesn't give you skills FOR MMA. Those motions and or skills are not applicable to MMA in any way shape or form

In soccer you are actually using your feet in a very cordinated manner. Dribilling a ball with your feet and running. That can corralte really well to having good footwork in MMA.

I mean if you want to say that any running you do durring a basketball or football game can help your footwork in MMA, then you might as well say that walking can help you to have good footwork in MMA too

In soccer it really applies and can help. Its more specific like.

There I answered the two dumbest points you brought up! Are you happy now

Please explain to me how dribbling a soccer ball while running gives equates to having good footwork in MMA?? Please! That might be the most ridiculous thing you have brought up, that LITERALLY has nothing to do with fighting at all. Posting up in basketball, and having to keep balance while someone is trying to push you back is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more applicable than dribbling down a soccer pitch.

Please, tell me specifically how dribbling a soccer ball can help mma footwork?

I can't wait for this one.
1/17/13 6:13 AM
wink91wink

I'm going to sleep but I'll be sure to answer whatever idiotic response you come up with in the morning!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.