UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why is Belfort ranked so high still?

1/17/13 5:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe_Drogan420
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc - 

I'm hoping for credibility's sake, he gets bumped off the list with a loss to Bisping.

When he can defeat a current Top 10 MW, THEN his position is validated.

Hypothetically, if Belfort loses a hard fought war after rocking Bisping, will he deserve top 10 status in your eyes?

I.e. he fights his heart out but barely comes up short.
1/17/13 5:23 PM
CraneFu
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is why

http://kuejehdg.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/j1111.jpg?w=640

Thread saved
1/17/13 5:32 PM
yellow wrkahlc
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe_Drogan420 - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

I'm hoping for credibility's sake, he gets bumped off the list with a loss to Bisping.

When he can defeat a current Top 10 MW, THEN his position is validated.

Hypothetically, if Belfort loses a hard fought war after rocking Bisping, will he deserve top 10 status in your eyes?

I.e. he fights his heart out but barely comes up short.

If it's a close fight, I'll have no gripe about him being on those lists, but right at #10. Everyone on that list deserves to be above him right now because they've stayed consistent enough in the top ten of middleweight to earn their ranks. Vitor hasn't.

I know Top 10 lists can be subjective and bias, but understanding the logic behind his positioning as of today is baffling. It's clear through this thread that I'm not the only one who feels the same way.

1/17/13 5:35 PM
yellow wrkahlc
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA - 
The point is Yellow it's pure speculation now. IMO others would kill both but that's just an opinion even as are their rankings (based on no cognitive facts to substantiate the opinion at all).

It's almost as if two sites had him in the top ten, so everyone else said "Fuck it, we'll have him in ours, too."

Makes no sense.

1/17/13 6:11 PM
MdGeist

yellow wrkahlc - 
Lazer MMA - 
The point is Yellow it's pure speculation now. IMO others would kill both but that's just an opinion even as are their rankings (based on no cognitive facts to substantiate the opinion at all).

It's almost as if two sites had him in the top ten, so everyone else said "Fuck it, we'll have him in ours, too."

Makes no sense.

Thats is how it works. If Sherdog has a legend in their top ten, all of the other sites feel like they need to put him on their top ten for credibility.

Honestly, I don't know how you can rank Vitor above Okami, Boetsch, Weidman, Costa, etc. You know, guys that have actually put together 4-5 win streaks at MW and/or are consistently beating top-competition.

1/17/13 7:50 PM
yellow wrkahlc

fapout - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

It's been over 3 years since he scored a Top 10 win at 185 (KO victory over Franklin), yet he's on every Top 10 list I've come across.

• Sherdog - #6
  • FIGHT! Magazine - #3
  • Fight Matrix - #5
  • MMAWeekly - #3
  • ESPN - #5
  • BloodyElbow - #5

I like Belfort, but...why? Were the victories over Akiyama (185) and Johnson (Catchweight 197lbs) enough to maintain his position on the rankings after the loss to Anderson? Surely everyone else on those lists, despite losses to each other, move above him, no?

With a victory over Bisping this Saturday, all of this would become a moot point, but I just wanna understand.

because he has lost only twice since '06- and he lost to Silva and Jones.

fucking noob.

I'm a "fucking noob" because I see no Top 10 wins since 2009 (a bout at 195 cw, nonetheless), and question his status in 2013 as a Top 10 middleweight?

How about this:

You're a fucking retard for considering a bout at 205 to have any direct correlation to rankings at 185. And yes, he lost to Anderson Silva, but who has he beaten at 185 since then?

All of this has already been covered, so sit the fuck down, please.

1/17/13 8:01 PM
yellow wrkahlc

And let's put this in perspective:

Bisping just broke Top 10 in many your eyes with that win over Stann. His losses at 185? Sonnen, Wanderlei, and Henderson. And even though those losses set him back, he was still beating everyone else they put in front of him, yet most of you laughed at the idea of Bisping being a Top 10 fighter at MW.

^How is that any different from Belfort? Lost to the champion (like everyone else who faced him), yet his only other wins at 185 are over Martin, Lindland and Akiyama. Same damn concept.

Belfort's a hell of a fighter, but in reality, he's not above anyone on those lists. Hell, Lombard should be squeezed in at #10.

1/17/13 8:07 PM
Lazer MMA

fapout - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

It's been over 3 years since he scored a Top 10 win at 185 (KO victory over Franklin), yet he's on every Top 10 list I've come across.

• Sherdog - #6
  • FIGHT! Magazine - #3
  • Fight Matrix - #5
  • MMAWeekly - #3
  • ESPN - #5
  • BloodyElbow - #5

I like Belfort, but...why? Were the victories over Akiyama (185) and Johnson (Catchweight 197lbs) enough to maintain his position on the rankings after the loss to Anderson? Surely everyone else on those lists, despite losses to each other, move above him, no?

With a victory over Bisping this Saturday, all of this would become a moot point, but I just wanna understand.

fucking noob.

For real, fapout going full retard? The man has ZERO BIG WINS AT MW period.

VTFD
1/17/13 8:15 PM
UGCTT_whittaker_is_the _real_demolition _man
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fapout - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

• Sherdog - #6
  • FIGHT! Magazine - #3
  • Fight Matrix - #5
  • MMAWeekly - #3
  • ESPN - #5
  • BloodyElbow - #5

fucking noob.

Read the thread.
1/17/13 8:25 PM
Lazer MMA

LMFAO

What big wins did the man have at MW in his life? Let's talk MMA

How is a top rating at MW justified? Because "he has lost only twice since '06"? WTF did he beat at 85 ever?

I'd guess I was fighting when your mom was breast feeding your ass. You call me a noob LMFAO. I watched UFC 1, and was in Japan for an early PRIDe event.

Back your shit up, any moron can call names!
1/17/13 8:44 PM
Lazer MMA

Edited: 01/17/13 8:45 PM

Yea I didn't think your ass was coming back "he has lost only twice since '06".

BUT his LAST BIG WIN WAS IN 04 via cut!

DERP
1/17/13 8:58 PM
Lazer MMA

This is the GP now! Right here. You say Belfort deserves a top MW rating and I say that assertion is a joke.

I say his last big win was in 04 via cut (not a MW), you say "LMFAO" at that.

Okay can you make a case for Belfort ranking or are you just talking out of your ass?

The case that "he has lost only twice since '06", and having no big wins at MW does not cut it (that Belfort deserves a top MW rating, let me fuckin clue you in son).

1/17/13 9:03 PM
Lazer MMA

Ty 0 top 10 win from 2010 until today and Zero big wins at MW EVER.

It must be time for a rematch with AS.

Wait you think JBJ VS Sonnen is legit too correct?
1/17/13 9:05 PM
Lazer MMA

Talk to me about the "UGGP", WTF is it a trivia contest a tournament? WTF is it? Where is it?
1/17/13 9:06 PM
Lazer MMA

blah blah blah

"0 top 10 win from 2010 until today and Zero big wins at MW EVER.

Wait you think JBJ VS Sonnen is legit too correct?"
1/17/13 9:09 PM
Chimp Strength
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA - 
Talk to me about the "UGGP", WTF is it a trivia contest a tournament? WTF is it? Where is it?

Ooo, in for tuck.

1/17/13 9:14 PM
yellow wrkahlc

fapout wants to fight, bro. He can't back his "point" up, so now he wants to take his anger and frustration out on an anonymous stranger, bro.

Watch out, bro.

1/17/13 9:20 PM
Chimp Strength
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fapout - 
Chimp Strength - 
Lazer MMA - 

Ooo, in for tuck.

hey Chimp, can you search for the UGGP thread and bump it for me? I'd appreciate it.

Done, let me know if thats not the right one.

1/17/13 9:20 PM
Lazer MMA

fapout - btw I don't need to make a case ya stupid noob. Randy's career rankings followed the same path, so did the Diaz bros and a pile of other fighters.

Randy the same path?? R U on drugs? What 3 plus years did the man not win a top 10 fight until after Brock when he was 44?

LMFAO

Wait you are joking, no one can be this stupid

1/17/13 9:25 PM
Joe_Drogan420

doesn't matter what weightclass vitor fights in, he's top 10.

it seems you've forgotten that vitor is a lion, an old, wiley lion at that.

can you name 10 bigger lions than Vitor?
1/17/13 9:26 PM
Chimp Strength

yellow wrkahlc - 

fapout wants to fight, bro. He can't back his "point" up, so now he wants to take his anger and frustration out on an anonymous stranger, bro.

Watch out, bro.

I think its a valid point that in rercent time Vitor has only lost two fights against champs since 2006.  I accept that he hasn't fought a lot of tough competition at MW, but the fact that some of those fights were catchweights doesnt mean they cant count towards his rank, thats just in my opinion.  For example, the Franklin fight was at 195 so does that mean it doesnt count towards the ranking in any division?  Even though we know Vitor resides at 185 and Franklin was still considered a solid 185 competitor, just Uncle Dana didnt want him to fight there?  Also, I think the fact that not many other fighters have done much to suggest they should be ranked above him has helped him maintain that position.  Look at Belcher for example and Lombard.  Both had ideal opportunities to claim a higher place in the ranking but failed when losing meaningful fights.  I'm not saying I disagree with what you're saying, but they are the best reasons I can come up with to justify his position.

1/17/13 9:33 PM
Lazer MMA

fapout - 
Lazer MMA - 
fapout - btw I don't need to make a case ya stupid noob. Randy's career rankings followed the same path, so did the Diaz bros and a pile of other fighters.

Randy the same path?? R U on drugs? What 3 plus years did the man not win a top 10 fight until after Brock when he was 44?

LMFAO

Wait you are joking, no one can be this stupid

Well Tuck, I'll just let this stupid post speak for itself.

fucking noob.

It makes no difference if the ratings follow them fool!

A. It does NOT MAKE them legit at any new wight class.

B. IT"S BEEN 9 YEARS SINCE BELFORT WON A BIG FIGHT IN any weight class. moran LMFAO

Like Randy, winning no big fight in 9 years and via cut to boot. Since that time Randy beat Belfort back (for real, no cut) and won another fuckin belt! Like Randy the twit said! LOL

Having gone 3 plus years without a top 10 win. DERP

joke. The old UG, representing, lets hope it's not there best LMFAO.

But if I travel to MN in 9 days to fight, THEN BELFORT is a top 10 for real. DERP

1/17/13 9:39 PM
Chimp Strength

nick diaz nut hugger - 
Chimp Strength -
yellow wrkahlc - 

Watch out, bro.

I think its a valid point that in rercent time Vitor has only lost two fights against champs since 2006.  I accept that he hasn't fought a lot of tough competition at MW, but the fact that some of those fights were catchweights doesnt mean they cant count towards his rank, thats just in my opinion.  For example, the Franklin fight was at 195 so does that mean it doesnt count towards the ranking in any division?  Even though we know Vitor resides at 185 and Franklin was still considered a solid 185 competitor, just Uncle Dana didnt want him to fight there?  Also, I think the fact that not many other fighters have done much to suggest they should be ranked above him has helped him maintain that position.  Look at Belcher for example and Lombard.  Both had ideal opportunities to claim a higher place in the ranking but failed when losing meaningful fights.  I'm not saying I disagree with what you're saying, but they are the best reasons I can come up with to justify his position.

This is a solid and respectful argument. Voted up Phone Post

Cheers dude.  A debate doesn't need to decend into name calling just cause someone doesn't agree with your opinion.  But for shits and giggles, I'd like to post Lazers MW top ten just to show how he thinks the division stacks up:

3 days ago
KaBrooney 43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile 

Lazer MMA - 1. AS
2. Sonnen
3. Weidman
4. Lombard
5. Rockhold
6. Philippou
7. Souza
8. Khalidov
9. Carmont
10.Hendo
Due to the fact I seriously think this thread was created to troll Bisping fans, and you have just displayed this monstrosity as a top ten, I refuse to post further in this thread. Phone Post

1/17/13 9:42 PM
Lazer MMA

Lazer MMA - 

Answering rankings above as explained before
1/17/13 9:48 PM
Chimp Strength

Lazer MMA - 
Lazer MMA - 

Answering rankings above as explained before

My point is Lazer, you disagree with everyone so fervently to the point of name calling, yet you post that ranking about that I am 100% sure not a single person on the UG would agree with.  You portray your opinion as fact rather than what it is.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.