UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> attn: Taku and other interval trainers

1/17/13 6:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WEB
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i found a machine i like at the gym and i want to do interval training instead of a boring slow pace.

is anything different from running to using a cardio machine?

how many times per week?

how long per session?

my goal right now is weight loss.

thanks.
1/18/13 4:47 AM
Chocolate Shatner
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are a few things you are going to need to look for if you want to go intervals:

1. How quickly can you change "levels" on the machine? For example, if a treadmill takes 15-20 seconds to increase speed from a walk to a sprint, then its useless for Tabata- intervals.

2. What level of intensity can it handle? I have used some bikes and ellipticals that just cannot handle the pounding my body puts on it if I am in balls-to-the-wall mode.

3. Is going high level intervals going to mean you need to fuck up the motion of the machine and put yourself in a bad position? All of the low-impact benefits are worth jack shit if you are having your body in a funky contortion merely in order to up your speed or "intensity."

4. Is the gym you are going to gonna throw a gasket if you start doing the workout? If they're gonna fuck with you, then you're gonna need to find a way to do the intervals without using the machines.

That being said, the key for intervals is not the type, but rather the heart rate you are getting up to. If you are hitting the goals for heart rate and intensity that the program calls for, then it doesn't really matter if you are on a bike, an elliptical, a stepper, a Versa-Climber, or merely running in place (like I do when I do Tabatas).
1/18/13 1:09 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff from C.S. I concur with his input.

TAKU

1/18/13 1:21 PM
WEB
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the machine im using changes levels fast.

the resistance goes beyond 25 and i cant push past 16.

i will post the name of the machine when i get back home.
1/18/13 3:05 PM
WEB

the machine is xride xr6000 by octane fitness
1/18/13 6:24 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a cool looking machine. Would be curious to try it out.

TAKU

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.