UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Popped rib Cartlidge

1/18/13 2:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GARRA
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone done it? I'm Pretty sore, expecting to be out of bjj for a couple of weeks. I'm applying ice and anti inflammatory tabs, any other advice to help recovery? Thanks Phone Post
1/18/13 1:10 PM
Angle 5
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a popped rib once after wrestling practice.

My partner did a West Point Ride on me. I thought he broke a rib. My coach told me to raise my arms and he hit me hard on my ribs. He said, "Nope, no broken ribs.", since if it was, I'd be on the ground (but shit it hurt).

Yeah, apply ice, take some ibuprophen, and rest the injury.

For me, it took weeks for it to heal and a bit more for it to stop feeling tender that I wouldn't favor the other side.
1/18/13 5:27 PM
bigballsmgee
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was out for 2 months intercostal Phone Post
1/18/13 5:47 PM
The Adversary
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happened once when I got stacked hard in BJJ. Hurt to breathe/laugh really badly for a while. Think it took about three or four weeks to feel a lot better if not heal completely. Take it easy for a while.
1/19/13 7:06 AM
Leigh
821 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No but seen it lots. Rest for weeks. Accept you will lose strength and fitness and plan to build it back when you're recovered Phone Post
1/19/13 7:46 AM
GARRA
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was stacked and it just popped. Leigh that's pretty much what I'm doing, wine and cake making me feel better :) Phone Post
1/19/13 12:11 PM
Leigh
821 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol, that's not really what I meant... Phone Post
1/20/13 2:35 AM
GARRA

How long until you could start jogging? BJJ is out of the question as is any sort of lifting for a few weeks but I'm hoping to do some exercise. I'm cracking up already and it hasn't been a week!! Phone Post
1/20/13 2:25 PM
FJJ828
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take it easy for at least a month and by easy, I mean EASY.

I have had it twice. It sucks but if you try to train through it, you will regret it. It will keep popping and eventually become a chronic problem.

1/21/13 2:36 AM
Chael Sonnen Money
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Symptoms? May have happened to me... Phone Post
1/21/13 7:17 AM
GARRA

stacked, ribs went pop. Looked down and one was stiking out quite a bit. Couldn't breath and been very painfull for about a week.
1/22/13 8:13 AM
Blue Duck
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have had it happen once on each side of floating ribs. One side took over 4 weeks before I could do anything strenuous; the other side was less severe and was about 3 weeks. I treated it like any other sprain or deep bruise...just listened to my body and trained when I felt halfway decent and the pain was bearable.

ps...what you describe sounds like my bad one that took over a month to get over. the guy i was rolling with at time had his head on my chest when when it happened and said it sounded like a rubber band snapped inside my chest cavity.
1/23/13 1:49 PM
ColeMillerATT
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hurt min in the floating rib area, and because i had to get back to "an important job" and was unable to rest, i have a reoccurring issue with this that is extremely painful that pops up a few times a year due to over calcification in the wrong areas.  take your time. 

1/25/13 11:45 AM
ruggerbouy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

going through it right now, coughing burping, laughing all kills, hiccups are the worst. I still go to bjj just to observe, the only thing I can do that makes me feel like I at least not lossing everything is a speed bag, I can hit that for hours with little to no pain, everything else though hurts, I just ice, anti-inflammatory, and rest.....then rinse and repeat

1/26/13 8:00 AM
GARRA

Went to physio this week. You know its pretty bad when you take your top off and he shouts "jesus Christ, that's a good un"! 6 to 8 weeks off bjj and sparring. Phone Post
1/29/13 5:29 PM
Crw
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I needed 6 weeks when I did mine , it's a shit of an injury Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.