UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Bicep isolation?

1/18/13 6:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Superman84
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there ever a good non-aesthetic reason to train biceps in isolation?
1/18/13 6:57 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To make your biceps stronger?
1/18/13 9:36 AM
vermonter
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there a way to train your biceps in isolation?
1/18/13 9:58 AM
HernanCortes
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isolation curls? Phone Post
1/18/13 10:36 AM
Superman84
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bicep curls?
1/18/13 1:03 PM
Angle 5
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Training for arm wrestling.
1/18/13 1:06 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LiftStrong just Hammer-Culred 100LBS of the correct.

TAKU

1/18/13 2:03 PM
Wiggy
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To warrant a reason why you *should* train biceps in isolation, that would insinuate that there is a reason you *shouldn't* train your biceps in isolation.  Besides being an anti-biceps fanboy (which is just as bad as the Always Bench & Curl crowd), there isn't one.  So feel free to do your curls if you deem appropriate.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

1/18/13 2:07 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you can hold onto the football when other players are trying to rip it out.
1/18/13 2:39 PM
The Gunslinger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There isn't a reason not to, provided it is in the context of a good program... most of the time it isn't....
1/18/13 6:29 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another great point by gunslinger.

I actually watched a person training "arms" and by the end of their workout tehey had completed 37 sets of triceps specific exercises (not making this up).

I saw a guy the other night do about 7-8 defferent exercises that were all essentially a high pull type of motion.Each exercise used a differnt tool (cable, DB, Machine, etc), but the motions were nearly identical.

FACE-PALM.

TAKU

1/18/13 7:57 PM
banco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wiggy - 

To warrant a reason why you *should* train biceps in isolation, that would insinuate that there is a reason you *shouldn't* train your biceps in isolation.  Besides being an anti-biceps fanboy (which is just as bad as the Always Bench & Curl crowd), there isn't one.  So feel free to do your curls if you deem appropriate.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

Yeah the guys who proudly boast "I never do arms" are almost as bad as the bros.
1/19/13 1:03 AM
Chocolate Shatner
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter - Is there a way to train your biceps in isolation?

shank some bitch in the shower? that should get you isolation for a while.
1/19/13 2:57 AM
Chocolate Shatner
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as for my own personal bicep work, I do biceps once a week, at the end of my heavy back workout. I do 4 sets, alternating one week being straight sets of 8-10 in curls, the next week being a superset of 10 each bar curls and hammer banded curls.

It's enough when added on to the amount of pullups, rows, etc that I do each week to properly stimulate the biceps.

Triceps is similar. I do one "target" each week at the end of the heavy chest workout. One week I do ring dips, the other week I do banded extensions two arms supersetted with one armed. 3-4 sets, combined with the other stuff I do, is enough.
1/19/13 7:37 PM
Pikes
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beginners - No

Intermediate - Maybe if you're really lacking

Expert - Sure Phone Post
1/19/13 10:26 PM
Taku

I do one set of Biceps, and one set of triceps (direct work).

TAKU

1/21/13 5:52 AM
vermonter
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was mainly joking. People sort of colloquially mean "elbow flexors" when they say biceps, but the muscle biceps brachii isn't really something you can isolate. You will always be involving other muscles like the brachialis and brachioradialis for active movement in some degree or other not to mention the stabilization of the shoulder girdle (not really counted against "isolation" per se, but important to note in arm loaded exercises).
1/21/13 9:31 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter with Anatomy Physio 1 class...radical :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.