UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Carlson Gracies old-school old school

1/21/13 4:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LEMon
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The thing about BTT that struck me was that they had good leadership and camaraderie. They weren't necessarily fighting for the BTT name the way they would fight for Carlson, BTT was more of a melting pot/management.

For eg Bitteti would have Artur Mariano (the guy Wanderlei fought and lost via cut in IVC 2) holding pads for him exclusively every session.

Basically training would be Kickboxing/Boxing takedowns, BJJ, GNP with big gloves and Wall fighting. They guys would go pretty hard ! Was awesome to watch, not so fun to participate.

Filho etc would come and go, basically Ze Mario and Murrilo were there every day but the others would be in and out depending on the day, if fight coming up etc.

Fernado Margarida though was ridiculous. He would just throw and sub EVERYBODY. I never saw him with Ze Mario though, I would have KILLED to see that.

Pequeno too was amazing to watch he would sub some monsters while looking like a little Tony Danza.

Strength and conditioning was a funny one, we never really got to see that. Jucao would run up Cristo Redentor mountain lol. We were actually asked to leave when the coach came to be honest. The guys generally seemed to have their own S and C coaches though and do their own thing.
1/22/13 6:51 AM
LEMon
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
1/22/13 9:13 AM
InYourMomaCloset
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep the stories coming broseph.

Ever see any near fights, guys having to get separated in training?

What did you think the top level guys were doing that really set them apart?

As the OP said, I was really looking for info on their conditioning work.
I know you didn't see much of that, but, did you perhaps even get a feel for the type of physical and strength conditioning they were doing?

I just don't think it's a co-incidence that members of the same team (Carlson Gracies) all had the same physical appearance and were extraordinarily athletic and physically stronger than the contemporary competition.
1/22/13 9:42 AM
AristidesBrito
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great stories Lemon, thank you Phone Post
1/22/13 11:17 AM
yusul
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol at carlson watching degrassi. i'm not surprised it made it's way to brazil, but i have a hard time picturing bjj's genius and one of the most influential fighters glued to a canadian drama about high school kids.
1/22/13 2:28 PM
InYourMomaCloset

TOAO - athletes juice to be able to be bigger faster stronger and that in it self improves the skills that they are doing. fuck juicers

Yeah but, ARE they juicing.

WERE they juicing.

And even if they were, how did they get in such superior shape to the competition that was almost certainly juicing as well??
1/22/13 4:13 PM
LEMon

Lol Andre was there, ask him re degrassi.

Strength and conditioning I think the guys trained a lot like bodybuilders to be honest. Watch day of zen. Their workouts didn't really even have warmups as they generally did their own thing. We did the gymnastica natural at the studio...was pretty funny, a lot of chubby girls.

They did all have the same body lol, honestly it was hard to tell the difference between shaolin, bitteti and filho (weight withstanding) as they looked very similar.

One thing about brazil, even the homeless people are muscley! Pretty sure it's the hormones in the meat to Phone Post
1/22/13 4:18 PM
InYourMomaCloset

Man you're such a Lemon
1/22/13 4:40 PM
LEMon

Thanks ...I think Phone Post
2/5/13 11:55 PM
MickColins
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"lol at carlson watching degrassi. i'm not surprised it made it's way to brazil, but i have a hard time picturing bjj's genius and one of the most influential fighters glued to a canadian drama about high school kids."

I didn't know Senior but Carlson Junior loves soap operas. Senior coined the "creonte" thing from a bad guy in a Soap Opera. From what I was told by a student who trained under Senior, he didn't advocate o sumo but its basically impossible to stop guys down there from doing it since you can buy them at drug stores. He was a big proponent of weightlifting and would encourage the dudes there to lift.

2/6/13 12:04 AM
enbanc

ttt
2/6/13 1:18 AM
TheThrill
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

some good stuff here-1
2/6/13 1:18 AM
TheThrill
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/6/13 1:19 AM
TheThrill

2/6/13 1:20 AM
TheThrill

2/6/13 1:20 AM
TheThrill

2/6/13 1:21 AM
TheThrill

2/6/13 1:21 AM
TheThrill

2/6/13 1:22 AM
TheThrill

2/6/13 1:23 AM
John Clarke
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
2/6/13 1:59 AM
InYourMomaCloset

MickColins - 

"lol at carlson watching degrassi. i'm not surprised it made it's way to brazil, but i have a hard time picturing bjj's genius and one of the most influential fighters glued to a canadian drama about high school kids."

I didn't know Senior but Carlson Junior loves soap operas. Senior coined the "creonte" thing from a bad guy in a Soap Opera. From what I was told by a student who trained under Senior, he didn't advocate o sumo but its basically impossible to stop guys down there from doing it since you can buy them at drug stores. He was a big proponent of weightlifting and would encourage the dudes there to lift.

WTF is "O Sumo".
For the moment I'm going to assume it's like a growth hormone of some sort.

Carlson Gracie Senior encouraged bodybuilding/weightlifting exercises?

Well, as far as their physiques were concerned, I guess explains pretty clearly the type of conditioning routines they had.

That's kind of strange cause guys are always on about "functional strength" workouts.
Speaking from the results seen by those guys, I don't think you can get more functional - lol.
2/6/13 2:07 AM
InYourMomaCloset

Cheers for posting them vids btw.

Just watched the first segment.

Man, that beach, the weather, the sea..... that place looks like paradise.
2/6/13 2:11 AM
InYourMomaCloset

I was also kind of disappointed to read this, but I read recently that Paulo Filho had trained in the past year with a separate coach and he reported that Paulo takes regularly a veterinary steroid called Potenai.

I don't know if that was always the case, or just since he got crazy.
2/6/13 3:27 AM
EastBayRay

I trained with one of Carlson's black belts, who did things the old way, and just part of the daily warm ups involved alternating sets of ten push ups with sets of 50 stomach exercises (sit ups, crunches etc) and we'd do 500 to 600 of the stomach ones total. Brutal!
He e told us everyone was on steroids back in the day, in Brazil. But remember it wasn't against the rules in Japan or Brazil.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.