UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> I started again

1/18/13 10:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LeroyJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After a 4 year layoff, i'm back in the Dojo. It's been two weeks, and although my fingers still have arthritis, my body aches and I'm bruised heavily all over, I'm happy.

My doctor told me to get my blood pressure down. My fiancee, also a doctor, explained why, and how to do it. Basically, I wasn't getting enough rigorous exercise and needed to exercise my heart more. Yoga and gardening wasn't cutting it.

Looking at my PB readings, they started to rise right when I stopped playing Judo. Since starting back up, my diastolic is down 20 points, systolic down 10. That's in two week's time.

The other thing is that I missed all of my friends, and the camaraderie in the club. After 30 years, you sort of get to know people and it's great to see them all again. It's also great that they want to see you ,and are excited that you're back.

My recommendation, don't let injuries or excuses get in your way. Find a way to get your exercise in with the friends you love, doing an activity that you love.
1/18/13 5:58 PM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats, glad to hear you are back in judo.
1/28/13 4:07 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

scumbag! you should never have stopped... but i love that you are back =)
1/29/13 1:29 PM
LeroyJ

Lol...my goal is to get blood pressure below target, and to drop 20lbs.

I'm down 5lbs now & the BP is dropping, so all is happening as planned.

Great to hear from you Josh. I'm planning to be in your neck of the woods sometime in March. Let's hook up.
1/30/13 4:10 PM
Outkaster
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Welcome Back!
1/31/13 4:33 PM
PK618
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started again recently as well. I was only gone for a few months but I am sure out of the grappling shape I was in after my first year (prior to the break) of Judo. I am complete once again! Glad to hear you are back and making progress at your goals.
2/8/13 1:36 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LJ... You are coming down to Orange County, CA???? Just to make sure you know I am not in WI anymore... =)

Best thing I ever did for my BP and cholesterol... Allowed my wife to institute "Meatless Mondays." Every Monday I am not permitted to eat any animal products. No milk, yogurt, ice cream, cheese, meats, eggs, etc... Amazing results.
2/19/13 8:03 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just realized Ive been out of the game for about 15 years! I had a neck injury in high school from wrestling and it never went away and my back was also on and off. Stupidly, I did not give a real effort to rehab it and things only get worse with age and without using it of course so a little over a year ago, I started acupuncture and it amazingly loosened up the stiffness and cramping in my neck by about 2/3 to 3/4. I did have some relapses though and am not as stiffness free as I was but am continuing with acupuncture treatment but looking into everything else - physio, massage, yoga, Active Release Therapy.

Also found that simply doing core muscle excercises definately helps stiffness and cramping in those areas. Its not that complex when you think about it - strengthening the areas in which you are weak and vulnerable to injury.

I was thinking of starting again this year but ironically when I got sick over the holidays, my neck/back stiffness really got worse all of a sudden. After some consideration, Ive realized that judo is one of the more injury prone sports and by reassessing the movements - the pulling, lifting, turning motions - its really requires you do have a strong back. I always loved newaza and was thinking of BJJ as there is less impact and less of the things noted above but......you still require a strong neck on the ground and in close quarters. I am considering giving boxing or kickboxing a try as Ive always been a fan of that as well but would love to come back to judo some day too.

Good on you for going back, great to hear.
2/20/13 6:51 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I would rather do BJJ, cause if you take the wrong shot to the head it may really mess your neck up, or could even paralyze you.
2/20/13 7:42 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, true but dont think I will be sparring hard for quite some time and believe you start out more with technique and pads anyhow, right? In judo, you immediately require your back out the gate with any forward lifting throw. Ideally, i would do it all with a completely injury free body. ;p
2/20/13 7:58 PM
LeroyJ

Josh,

I haven't been to L.A or OC in a while, but am headed to the bay next month. Will check in the boys while I'm there.

Meatless Monday's sounds like a great idea.

I'm already down in my BP pretty significantly, but will take a bit more sustained cardio over the next few months to get it to ideal.
2/21/13 8:01 AM
Spartan79

Good effort bud, hope it goes well! Phone Post
2/21/13 12:49 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Yeah, true but dont think I will be sparring hard for quite some time and believe you start out more with technique and pads anyhow, right? In judo, you immediately require your back out the gate with any forward lifting throw. Ideally, i would do it all with a completely injury free body. ;p

Yeah I guess you don't have to spar if you don't want.
You could just go for the work out.
2/21/13 3:06 PM
Wasa-B

Yeah, id be happy to learn technique, hit the pads, light spar just to get the distance and footwork thing down. With BJJ and Judo and wrestling of course, your neck is pretty important too in closer quarters, bridging, etc. I have to get that strengthened again before I go back.
2/22/13 10:33 AM
JamesDean57

Yeah i live 60 miles from any town that has any kind of martial arts, so I just work out at home.

I got a heavy bag, double end bag, sled, tires, sand bags and weights so I'm happy. :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.