UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gracies respond to rape by BJJ practitioners

1/18/13 6:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Topsyjt
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great vid. TTT Phone Post
1/18/13 6:54 PM
Lahzerous
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Gracies are some stand up dudes.

1/18/13 7:17 PM
12SixElbow
623 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think its a great video.

its nice to hear a different aspect of all of this... Martial arts schools are suppose to be breeding BETTER people, not just accomplished fighters.

1/18/13 7:21 PM
32Hunter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as I was watching that I kept thinking about all the stories of the brawls the gracies got into, down in Brazil, Renzo and Ryan were madmen.
1/18/13 10:14 PM
12SixElbow
623 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

32Hunter - as I was watching that I kept thinking about all the stories of the brawls the gracies got into, down in Brazil, Renzo and Ryan were madmen.

Them discussing rape being unacceptable reminded you of two dudes who used to get into fights in brazil?

1/18/13 10:24 PM
32Hunter

I think they were also talking about unstable people being taught bjj and the responsibility of teachers to weed those people out. but I only got 5 mins in so far, things came up.
1/18/13 10:48 PM
12SixElbow

32Hunter - I think they were also talking about unstable people being taught bjj and the responsibility of teachers to weed those people out. but I only got 5 mins in so far, things came up.

They were saying there is nothing you can do to stop that, because if you don't teach everyone out of fear the bad apples will learn, then you're not teaching people who need BJJ as well. Or something like that.

1/18/13 10:51 PM
32Hunter

12SixElbow - 
32Hunter - I think they were also talking about unstable people being taught bjj and the responsibility of teachers to weed those people out. but I only got 5 mins in so far, things came up.

They were saying there is nothing you can do to stop that, because if you don't teach everyone out of fear the bad apples will learn, then you're not teaching people who need BJJ as well. Or something like that.

yeah you're right. i need to finish watching that.
1/19/13 12:21 PM
Xspur
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Props for them for speaking out. When people like the Gracies come forward and speak publicly about this stuff, it brings awareness to the issues.
1/19/13 2:57 PM
Topsyjt
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FinestScotch -
6ULDV8 - 

Hopefully in the future no one be serving an undeserving rape hopeful in 'Master' Lloyd Irvin.

The dirty whore, she knew the score, if she wasn't crying so much and so beat up, she'd be asking for more.

Ban this phaggot

I'm ex-forces, dark humour is how we get by.. This isn't even remotely comical and as a father of 3 girls, it's inexcusable comments. Phone Post
1/19/13 3:09 PM
Wade5000
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/19/13 4:03 PM
FJJ828
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amazing the changing tides...

A breath of fresh air for those of us choking on the marketing trash and those pushing it as the only way to survive in business.

1/19/13 4:40 PM
judom
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/19/13 4:48 PM

They are addressing a fundamental problem in BJJ that I have observed few times when training at BJJ places. It is a great message.

BJJ came from Judo, but they forgot to take the principles and postulates of Judo, and only took some of the techniques.

A fundamental principle in Judo is called "mutual welfare and benefit". This is what they are talking about in the video.

In Judo dojos, this is usually followed: you try to help people, you go slower, you teach them as you spar, etc. You serve your time to them.

In BJJ, in many places I saw, it is the opposite: many students are not interested in helping anyone, but are there to advance themselves. They pay $$$ and expect to learn techniques. I believe in at least in 80% of the places, people had the fundamentally wrong attitude to training. And the wrong reasons for training the sport.

That is something that really turned me off from BJJ. They do not teach the postulates and principles, only some techniques.

While in Judo, I've seen Olympic champions sit and spar with a white belt for hours, for free, just to help them get better and teach the right mindset.

This is one of the reasons why my kids will do Judo and not BJJ. At the end, it is not about the techniques that these sports teach, it is about learning the right, proper mindset to do things.

It is ironic, but I think the Gracies's mindset at least in these videos and the way they do stuff is very close to Judo, even closer to Judo than modern BJJ  -- clean gi's, good, solid fundamentals, good mindset, nothing flashy, but its effective.

1/19/13 6:55 PM
Topsyjt

judom -

They are addressing a fundamental problem in BJJ that I have observed few times when training at BJJ places. It is a great message.

BJJ came from Judo, but they forgot to take the principles and postulates of Judo, and only took some of the techniques.

A fundamental principle in Judo is called "mutual welfare and benefit". This is what they are talking about in the video.

In Judo dojos, this is usually followed: you try to help people, you go slower, you teach them as you spar, etc. You serve your time to them.

In BJJ, in many places I saw, it is the opposite: many students are not interested in helping anyone, but are there to advance themselves. They pay $$$ and expect to learn techniques. I believe in at least in 80% of the places, people had the fundamentally wrong attitude to training. And the wrong reasons for training the sport.

That is something that really turned me off from BJJ. They do not teach the postulates and principles, only some techniques.

While in Judo, I've seen Olympic champions sit and spar with a white belt for hours, for free, just to help them get better and teach the right mindset.

This is one of the reasons why my kids will do Judo and not BJJ. At the end, it is not about the techniques that these sports teach, it is about learning the right, proper mindset to do things.

It is ironic, but I think the Gracies's mindset at least in these videos and the way they do stuff is very close to Judo, even closer to Judo than modern BJJ  -- clean gi's, good, solid fundamentals, good mindset, nothing flashy, but its effective.

Quality post sir. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.