UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Important letter from Ryan Hall to our community

1/18/13 4:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Triple_B
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at proud to be part of the 97 percent hall went in on lloyd
1/18/13 4:33 PM
Pat Giles
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bravo Mr. Hall Phone Post
1/18/13 4:36 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great read

Thank you Ryan
1/18/13 4:47 PM
T-Ham
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Much respect to Ryan.

TTT Phone Post
1/18/13 4:49 PM
Crw
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
1/18/13 4:52 PM
Forrest Gimp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A very good read, all 22 pages. ttt.
1/18/13 4:53 PM
Seats Taken
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kying418 - Amazing letter.

Is there any doubt now that Team Lloyd Irvin acts as a cult - at least for its medal chasers?
His top guys are a cult, the average person wanting to learn BJJ/MMA are just seen as $$$ and a customer. Phone Post
1/18/13 5:02 PM
Canooke
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Girlfriend of 6 years?! When's he going to marry that poor girl?
1/18/13 5:03 PM
Sherdoggystyle

Is it just me or did anyone feel like the letter was very preachy without explicit evidence? I mean I read the first 8 pages or so and it just really dragged on with philosophical and life advice that Ryan would give, which is great. But he never gave any explicit stories.

I don't mean to discredit Ryan Hall's letter at all. In fact, it's an important one considering how close he was to Lloyd Irvin and the "cult." But I want some anecdotes! How can I understand the advice fully if a context for it isn't really given?
1/18/13 5:05 PM
Forrest Gimp

Sherdoggystyle - Is it just me or did anyone feel like the letter was very preachy without explicit evidence? I mean I read the first 8 pages or so and it just really dragged on with philosophical and life advice that Ryan would give, which is great. But he never gave any explicit stories.

I don't mean to discredit Ryan Hall's letter at all. In fact, it's an important one considering how close he was to Lloyd Irvin and the "cult." But I want some anecdotes! How can I understand the advice fully if a context for it isn't really given?

Any explicit story would probably equal a lawsuit.
1/18/13 5:06 PM
smythdawg

TTT Phone Post
1/18/13 5:07 PM
Sherdoggystyle

Forrest Gimp - 
Sherdoggystyle - Is it just me or did anyone feel like the letter was very preachy without explicit evidence? I mean I read the first 8 pages or so and it just really dragged on with philosophical and life advice that Ryan would give, which is great. But he never gave any explicit stories.

Any explicit story would probably equal a lawsuit.

Not if it's true.
1/18/13 5:09 PM
12SixElbow
623 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is this an extremely important letter?

1/18/13 5:11 PM
shaqitup
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Perfect
1/18/13 5:11 PM
KevinMcAllister
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"How many of them would violently defend me were I accused, with droves of evidence (perhaps even my own admission of intent as well as the accusations of outright guilt by multiple other people involved in the incident), of something heinous? Would they defend my character (no matter how blindly), or, robbed of compelling arguments there,would they stoop to attempts at discrediting my accusers by callously suggesting,without a shred of evidence, that my victims somehow “asked for it.” Would they ignore my history if it included numerous slimy moves and shady attempts at manipulation (or times I coached others into doing the same)? With my whole heart, I hope that the answers are “no” and “absolutely not.” I would be ashamed to be associated with people who possess such an absurdly weak grasp of right and wrong, of decency. Then again, I don’t hold myself out as some sort of oracle, nor do copies of books on how best to build a cult and manipulate the trusting adorn the top of my desk."

1/18/13 5:16 PM
vaginal tear
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub for PC Phone Post
1/18/13 5:26 PM
Harry the Gimp

OK so rather than beating round the bush he is stating that LI is a brainwashing individual who has a checkered past and dodgy students.

Had an instructor like that many, many years ago - very charismatic, made you feel great, lied about everything to make himself immortal but when he was found in a locked toilet with a 14 year old girl everything fell apart and obviously he denied anything "you're wrong, its not what it looks like, what's your problem". He continues to teach his mickey mouse BS and lives in his own self-important bubble making money from the gullible and uneducated.
1/18/13 5:30 PM
likatiga
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

soremano - 

I thought it was interesting how the letter forgoes any specifics but speaks to anyone who has been following the lloyd irvin saga

perhaps the author felt that getting into contentious flame wars over specific allegations would take away and cheapen the overall message

Don't worry, Avellan has the ability to make things that aren't even about him and his master to be about him and his master. He'll flame this one anyway.

Unless he's muzzled?
1/18/13 5:31 PM
Sherdoggystyle

soremano - 

I thought it was interesting how the letter forgoes any specifics but speaks to anyone who has been following the lloyd irvin saga

perhaps the author felt that getting into contentious flame wars over specific allegations would take away and cheapen the overall message

Possibly. But what exactly is this "cultish" behavior that he is talking about?

I will admit, I haven't really followed the Lloyd Irvin saga as closely as a lot of people have.

But here's what I know.

- 2 TLI guys raped female bjj practitioner from the same gym recently.
- Lloyd Irvin himself was accused of rape 20 or so years ago.
- Some TLI affiliate defends Lloyd Irvin's past, but in the process lacks considerable tact.
- Something about current members of TLI moving to different teams because of this.
- Lloyd Irvin buying lloydirvinrape.com and sending press releases to control the damage.
- Some anecdotes about Lloyd Irvin cheating Ryan Hall out of % of instructional dvd profits (hence Hall's 50/50 bjj gym).

What else is there? I'm hearing rumblings about Irvin's fees for local bjj tournmants, but I thought fees were standard? Can someone clarify? And again, what is this cultish behavior? Is it simply just respecting your instructor too much? What is it exactly and especially in the context of TLI?
1/18/13 5:33 PM
Wade5000
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great read!
1/18/13 5:46 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great read. Ryan Hall may say that we can't judge his character without truly knowing him, but those were the words of a man with his head on straight and respectful for the world around him. POWERFUL Ryan Hall

And lol at the ending. Proud to be part of the 97% ... Right on the money Phone Post
1/18/13 5:47 PM
spartancs
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Long read but worth it.

1/18/13 5:53 PM
Stache
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Incredible letter. Pure class.
1/18/13 5:53 PM
overEZ

Thanks Ryan. I met you a couple times and I respected you. In your letter you warn us to be wary of respecting someone we don't really know, I respected your humble nature. Now I respect you more for your courage in making a statement.
1/18/13 5:56 PM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

He didnt even use his name, seems he intentionaly kept it vauge in specifics

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.