UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Important letter from Ryan Hall to our community

1/18/13 11:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Farthammer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome letter. Worth noting that Hall and another famous BJJ gym owner both have had famous run-ins with nutjobs that was ended with BJJ...but only one of them has video.
1/18/13 11:53 PM
jaytrainwreck
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well written letter by Ryan Hall. Phone Post
1/19/13 12:11 AM
Brabo Ben
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for later, ryan is a class act Phone Post
1/19/13 1:21 AM
hellride
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well said Ryan Hall
1/19/13 1:36 AM
disconnect
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good article. it's obvious he's referring to TLI. i mean, just look at:

9- You May Think You Know Your Coach, But You Probably Don’t

ever notice how TLI capitalizes EVERY SINGLE WORD on all their advertising/products on the web? so annoying!
1/19/13 1:41 AM
FlyingSubsOnly
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good shit.. remember when ryan choked some drunk dude out in a pizza parlor, haha.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82384433/
1/19/13 1:53 AM
falsecrack
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The whole letter was awesome, and I hate quoting just a piece, but I found this description particularly relevant to my own life right now:

"Teachers:

A true leader creates other leaders. He desires not to dominate those around him, but to uplift them. Not to uplift them for his own benefit, his own aggrandizement, but because it is the right thing to do. A real leader doesn’t want disciples. A real leader hopes for friends who respect him for being a decent human being above all. After all, what other reason is there to follow someone?"
1/19/13 2:55 AM
UGCTT_sakurabas ear
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In, cause condoning gang rape sickens me. Phone Post
1/19/13 3:20 AM
artesuavesam

TTT :-)
1/19/13 3:38 AM
Balance

Harry the Gimp - OK so rather than beating round the bush he is stating that LI is a brainwashing individual who has a checkered past and dodgy students.

Had an instructor like that many, many years ago - very charismatic, made you feel great, lied about everything to make himself immortal but when he was found in a locked toilet with a 14 year old girl everything fell apart and obviously he denied anything "you're wrong, its not what it looks like, what's your problem". He continues to teach his mickey mouse BS and lives in his own self-important bubble making money from the gullible and uneducated.

Hall's letter is about general situations where unsuspecting individuals can be taken advantage of, and his real-life experience with such an individual and a team. The specifics aren't as important as the lessons he's learned, and the way he wants to live his life going forward. I have a ton of respect for his take.
1/19/13 5:18 AM
6ULDV8
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

1/19/13 6:44 AM
EddyH

Great letter
1/19/13 7:36 AM
Wade5000
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/19/13 8:00 AM
My cat is cuter than your cat
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm incredibly impressed with how articulate and well thought out Ryan is in this letter. Sadly, it will be ignored or misunderstood by the people that need to read it the most. But either way, I'm glad there are people like Ryan to provide a good role model in the martial arts community.
1/19/13 8:11 AM
shin2chin
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/19/13 8:16 AM
Caddock
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe that in the long run Ryan's letter is more powerful without the naming of names. Sure he could have come right out and burned people with that. I feel he didn't need to and in fact it was better for anyone who reads it that he didn't.

We all know who he was with. In the near term context we all know who he is alluding to. There is no doubt in anyone's mind who he means when he says these things happened and he learned from them.

In the long term context, if he had named names, people could read that and say "more LI junk, that blew over and I don't care to read some take on old news." By not tying the letter to a dated set of events it keeps it timelessness and will work just as well in 20 years if people read it.

I am sorry that he learned some of those things, in that it is tough that people go through those things and learn the hard way. However it seems to certainly have helped shape him into a respectable person. Certainly expressing an amount of wisdom in this letter that many people don't get until later in life, if at all. Being a respectable person and learning those lessons early (I am sure he learned from other places too) will only help him the rest of his life.
1/19/13 9:13 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt
1/19/13 10:02 AM
muskokamma

In Phone Post
1/19/13 10:15 AM
paganist
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out the big brain on Ryan!

I knew Ryan Hall was smart but that's some high level writing right there.

Very, very impressive. Phone Post
1/19/13 10:24 AM
Wade5000

Ryan Hall is the man!
1/19/13 2:20 PM
SZRoll

Edited: 01/19/13 2:21 PM
Respect. Mr. Hall's statement in response to one of the grossest human acts that our species is capable of is tremendously positive to say the absolute least. But to tell the truth, it was honor, integrity, and compassion wrapped up into one tiny little package that is infinitely stronger and larger than any deception or evil empire can defeat. Hall is truly a grounded and humble man, again, RESPECT.<br /><br />A true example of how to live like a Man and a Warrior.
1/19/13 2:45 PM
Wade5000

ttt
1/19/13 2:56 PM
eljamaiquino
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sherdoggystyle - 
Forrest Gimp - 
Sherdoggystyle - Is it just me or did anyone feel like the letter was very preachy without explicit evidence? I mean I read the first 8 pages or so and it just really dragged on with philosophical and life advice that Ryan would give, which is great. But he never gave any explicit stories.

I don't mean to discredit Ryan Hall's letter at all. In fact, it's an important one considering how close he was to Lloyd Irvin and the "cult." But I want some anecdotes! How can I understand the advice fully if a context for it isn't really given?

Any explicit story would probably equal a lawsuit.

Not if it's true.

A lot of people told the truth about Lance Armstrong, got sued, and lost. Truth means very little in the legal system....
1/19/13 3:20 PM
GaryG
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

William Colosimo - This should be stickied. Too bad this couldnt somehow be required reading for this site and MA schools

+1 for making it a sticky
1/19/13 3:23 PM
ato316
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

+1 more for mods to sticky

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.