UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator Does 1 Million Viewers in Debut

1/18/13 4:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/bellator-85-ratings-spike-tv-debut-does-fantastic-numbers

938k average with a 1.1 mill peak during the Curran/Pitbull fight.
1/18/13 4:41 PM
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In before Shoemoney.
1/18/13 4:44 PM
Card
1903 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 million viewers got a great night of fights.

1/18/13 4:45 PM
BrattMamley
990 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Solid. I don't expect the numbers to stay that consistent after all the promotion for this first card, but that's a really nice number compared to what the UFC has been doing on FX. Phone Post
1/18/13 4:46 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 01/18/13 4:51 PM

that is very impressive. yeah, they will likely drop during the season but that's a great sign for spike. This means the war is gonna escalate.significantly.

1/18/13 4:50 PM
DamnSevern
1189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome

Chris27

And people questioned why they would go on Thurs night following TNA. This is why.

And yeah it might be a bit concerning that the numbers peaked early and dropped off after 12am but they should be able to do a big enough 10-11pm hour that the average will hold steady through the broadcast.
DojoJay
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - 

1 million viewers got a great night of fights.

I thought it was a pretty good show, but I can't help but wonder who else they're going to find to throw at Chandler.

1/18/13 4:52 PM
shorebreaker420
1008 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
1/18/13 4:53 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fantastic! Phone Post
1/18/13 4:54 PM
Brigham
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A legit competitor was born.
1/18/13 4:57 PM
shorebreaker420
1008 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea they were alive along time ago to me, damn mtv2 should be asshammed Phone Post
1/18/13 4:58 PM
thatdude21601
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Spike theory was right.
1/18/13 4:59 PM
BRZ

That's awesome news. Higher than I thought too. Phone Post
1/18/13 5:01 PM
Chris27

Brigham - A legit competitor was born.

I wouldnt go that far yet, doing a mill for their biggest card with two titel fights in their debut is great for them but they have a long way to go before they are a legit competitor imo.

1/18/13 5:06 PM
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

khaynes21 - Proves 1 thing : Spike is the network for MMA.

They seem to run smoother. On Fox,FX, and Fuel TV shows the split second the a round or fight ends there all ready into a commercial.
1/18/13 5:06 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 01/18/13 5:06 PM

well this means they can place an mma reality show in that timeslot and if it's good they can count on a good number.

and if they get an audience for a reality show they can  create stars... and with stars you can create live events that pull bigger ratings and ultimately down the line get on ppv.

I dont expect them to keep alot of the audience because it's difficult to promote a live event every week the way they did the debut... but a reality show is sticky and will keep more viewers.

spike is the most legit competitor the UFC has faced since pride.

1/18/13 5:09 PM
Chris27

MMALOGIC - 

well this means they can place an mma reality show in that timeslot and if it's good they can count on a good number.

and if they get an audience for a reality show they can  create stars... and with stars you can create live events that pull bigger ratings and ultimately down the line get on ppv.

I dont expect them to keep alot of the audience because it's difficult to promote a live event every week the way they did the debut... but a reality show is sticky and will keep more viewers.

But the reality show wont be in that timeslot because Bellator events are gonna stay there for atleast the first year.

So they will probably put the reality show on Tues to counter TUF or more likely in the old TUF Spike slot on Wed. They wont have that TNA lead in so who knows what kind of numbers it will pull but yeah if they ever moved to a new night and put the reality show in that Thurs slot it would do well.

And I also agree I think the numbers will drop as teh season moves along, next week should hold steady, maybe a bit lower but then the following week I think you will see a dip to around 700/800k.
1/18/13 5:15 PM
shorebreaker420

Chris27 -
MMALOGIC - 

But the reality show wont be in that timeslot because Bellator events are gonna stay there for atleast the first year.

So they will probably put the reality show on Tues to counter TUF or more likely in the old TUF Spike slot on Wed. They wont have that TNA lead in so who knows what kind of numbers it will pull but yeah if they ever moved to a new night and put the reality show in that Thurs slot it would do well.

And I also agree I think the numbers will drop as teh season moves along, next week should hold steady, maybe a bit lower but then the following week I think you will see a dip to around 700/800k.
There not going to counter Tuf with their own version the same time slot, they will pick another time or nite for that Bellator is smarter than that it's about money for now, if anybody should be countering its the UFC they already got the doe, Phone Post
1/18/13 5:17 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 01/18/13 5:26 PM
khaynes21 - Proves 1 thing : Spike is the network for MMA.

yep... it proves that 1 year into the fox deal spike is still the best platform for mma.  UFC may be the best mma product... but spike is the best mma platform.

the tuf finale on FX did something like 1.2 million viewers.  that's atrocious in comparison.  the demo numbers are significantly different (bellator pulled a .4 in 18-49 whereas the ufc pulls a 1.0 or more) but it's still telling.

It's a race for who can close the gap first... can zuffa close the platform gap with the better timeslots on FX, the launch of FS1, etc...  or will spike close the product gap.

with 1 million viewers a week on first run mma programming spike can close the product gap eventually.

Conversely with better timeslots on FX and the launch of fs1 which is in 80 million homes and likely to air a ton of ufc programming, ZUffa/Fox can close the platform gap.  Tuf is being replayed on big fox saturday night.

The question is who's gonna close the gap faster.

Fox killed the UFC the first year of their deal and as a result gave spike a fighting chance.

Zuffa is probably counting the seconds for the launch of fs1 so they can begin counterprogramming.  they cant with FX because they wont adjust their schedule for it and fuel isnt in enough homes for it to be effective.

1/18/13 5:25 PM
caposa
1556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome. Great news for Bellator and good news for MMA in general. Phone Post
1/18/13 5:26 PM
Nexuscrawlers
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great news for Bellator! Phone Post
1/18/13 5:28 PM
Wade5000
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like Bellator and Spike are going to be OK!
1/18/13 5:30 PM
G-Hands
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice
1/18/13 5:43 PM
newjack900
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just goes to show that Spike is seen much more as a 'guys' type of channel and definitely more of an MMA channel than fuckin FX. That being said I could see the ratings for Bellator plummeting over the next couple of months. I hope not but I just don't see it sustaining that 900+k viewership.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.