UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator Does 1 Million Viewers in Debut

1/18/13 5:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shorebreaker420
1018 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That doesn't count dvr Phone Post
1/18/13 5:47 PM
Matt Phillips
809 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For months of build up my first reaction to the million viewers was "meh".

The real number to look for is the tournament finale. If it pulls large numbers, then they will know the casual audience likes the tournament format.

1/18/13 5:53 PM
NDmmafan
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets all not get to excited here guys. This is great news no doubt but the real test will come in week 2,3,4 and so on.Lets just look at the XFL. Ratings for the first game were out of this world. Week 2 they were lower, week 3 lower and by the end of the season they were in the tank.

So even though last night was a great start its what the ratings do going forward is the real litmus test here.

Congrats to Bellator. Great ratings last night and I hope they can keep it rolling. They had a ton of viewers hopefully they can keep most of them and keep the ball rolling.
1/18/13 5:53 PM
epwar
608 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DojoJay - 
Card - 

1 million viewers got a great night of fights.

I thought it was a pretty good show, but I can't help but wonder who else they're going to find to throw at Chandler.

The winner of Held/Jansen.  See Bellator has this amazing idea where guys who win tournaments challenge the champ. ;-)

1/18/13 5:58 PM
tonytr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's better for MMA if there's only one organization or "league." Does anyone think football would be nearly as popular if there were three different organizations competing for attention? No, people like things streamlined. It dilutes the "sport" aspect of an athletic competition if there's not one, single "be all end all" to determine who is the best.

If the UFC were to end up the only MMA org, it wouldn't be a monopoly, it would simply be just like the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL.
1/18/13 6:01 PM
Chris27

Matt Phillips - 

For months of build up my first reaction to the million viewers was "meh".

The real number to look for is the tournament finale. If it pulls large numbers, then they will know the casual audience likes the tournament format.

Yeah the real key is Bellator 87 and some of those mid season and late season shows with no title fights.

I think numbers will hold steady for next week, maybe drop a bit but I can see Bellator 87 the following week having a big drop in ratings.
1/18/13 6:02 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We did it momma!

1/18/13 6:03 PM
MMALOGIC

NDmmafan - Lets all not get to excited here guys. This is great news no doubt but the real test will come in week 2,3,4 and so on.Lets just look at the XFL. Ratings for the first game were out of this world. Week 2 they were lower, week 3 lower and by the end of the season they were in the tank.

So even though last night was a great start its what the ratings do going forward is the real litmus test here.

Congrats to Bellator. Great ratings last night and I hope they can keep it rolling. They had a ton of viewers hopefully they can keep most of them and keep the ball rolling.

yeah, the ratings moving forward is a litmus test on the tournamnet format.

but Spike passed it's test.  It can get eyeballs on non zuffa mma product... whether it can keep the eyeballs depends on the product.

1/18/13 6:04 PM
MMALOGIC

liquidrob - We did it momma!

congrats!

1/18/13 6:05 PM
XxLiveBaitxX
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats to the people of Bellator for their inagural Spike show. That was a great event and the best is yet to come.
1/18/13 6:06 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can we get some coverage on the UG now?

PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED
1/18/13 6:07 PM
Chris27

liquidrob - We did it momma!

LOL congrats, your hard work as seemed to pay off for their debut.

And sites are covering it, I've seen more coverage and ads for that card than I have all Bellator events combined.

mmajunkie, BE, SHerdog, mmafighting, weekly etc all covered it, wrote stories on the fighters and the events.
1/18/13 6:09 PM
MMALOGIC

tonytr - It's better for MMA if there's only one organization or "league." Does anyone think football would be nearly as popular if there were three different organizations competing for attention? No, people like things streamlined. It dilutes the "sport" aspect of an athletic competition if there's not one, single "be all end all" to determine who is the best.

If the UFC were to end up the only MMA org, it wouldn't be a monopoly, it would simply be just like the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL.

the market will decide.... you cant centrally plan a monopoly.  if the market wants only one organization (which so far it has demonstrated that it does) then there will be only one dominant organization.

Zuffa is likely at defcon 5 due to these numbers.  Spike has just demonstrated that it's the biggest potential threat to UFC's hegemony they have ever faced.

1/18/13 6:10 PM
liquidrob

Thanks!

Mmafigting stepped up, sherdog usually does well, I was disappointed in mmajunkie, they were weaker than usual

The "UG News'? Lololololol
1/18/13 6:12 PM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good fights = Good fights
1/18/13 6:22 PM
Festus
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tonytr - It's better for MMA if there's only one organization or "league." Does anyone think football would be nearly as popular if there were three different organizations competing for attention? No, people like things streamlined. It dilutes the "sport" aspect of an athletic competition if there's not one, single "be all end all" to determine who is the best.

I disagree. Two organizations where fighters have an option (for two major orgs not the smaller shows) is much better than just one organization. You cant compare it to team sports because look how many players are on just one nfl\nba\mlb team.

I think mma compares better to the world of professional wrestling. The wrestking product was much better when there were two major orgs competing for that top spot. It forced the organizations to put out a quality card each event.

If UFC has to compete for viewers the cards will be more stacked each outing. Phone Post
1/18/13 6:27 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10PM-12AM isn't a great time slot on Thursdays imo.
1/18/13 6:29 PM
HandyDarsh
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i gotta say, if they stick with spike ill be tuning in regularily.

its easy to find and im used to watching me MMA there.

1/18/13 6:38 PM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 
tonytr - It's better for MMA if there's only one organization or "league." Does anyone think football would be nearly as popular if there were three different organizations competing for attention? No, people like things streamlined. It dilutes the "sport" aspect of an athletic competition if there's not one, single "be all end all" to determine who is the best.

the market will decide.... you cant centrally plan a monopoly.  if the market wants only one organization (which so far it has demonstrated that it does) then there will be only one dominant organization.

Zuffa is likely at defcon 5 due to these numbers.  Spike has just demonstrated that it's the biggest potential threat to UFC's hegemony they have ever faced.

A league, by definition, requires multiple parties to coordinate. . .

The league sports, requiring other teams to compete against, necessitates a structure of coordination amongst the teams.

That is not the case in individual sports--never has been.

Such an argument would be the equivalent of Wimbledon requiring exclusivity to compete in its tournament, or the British Open requiring exclusivity to play in its tournament. . .

It is a defective and flawed analogy, and jsut isn't true.

1/18/13 6:39 PM
IIAces

shorebreaker420 - Yea they were alive along time ago to me, damn mtv2 should be asshammed Phone Post
I couldn't watch that shit on mtv2. Looked like it was broadcast in 480p. Watchable on spike and fights were good. Phone Post
1/18/13 6:40 PM
liquidrob

If they can keep Eddie, have him coach against Chandler it would be Bellators first real "super' fight
1/18/13 6:40 PM
CindyO

DojoJay - 
Card - 

1 million viewers got a great night of fights.

I thought it was a pretty good show, but I can't help but wonder who else they're going to find to throw at Chandler.

These are good numbers and Chandler is a stud!

Cindy

1/18/13 6:48 PM
HandsomeTopTeam
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I even heard some true family noobs talking about watching the Bellator fights
1/18/13 7:01 PM
JerseyShoreTapTeam

Wooo!!!! PRIDE IS BACK BABY!!!!!
1/18/13 7:39 PM
PrettyBoy
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HandyDarsh -

i gotta say, if they stick with spike ill be tuning in regularily.

its easy to find and im used to watching me MMA there.

Boom.

This!

God bless competition. Can't wait to see some great MMA back on Spike Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.