UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nick Training to Fight Off His Back Against GSP

1/18/13 9:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGSlapshot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kings21 -
UGSlapshot -  GSP does not have the same type of athleticism to be able to implement Condits gameplan.

That said, he stood with Jake but Shileds has nowhere near the striking skills Diaz does.

I think he'll try to stand with Nick and if that starts to favor Diaz then he'll go for the td and just try to control him.

I don't think he puts out as much offense as he did with condit because Diaz has a much better sub game than Condit.

Carlos was content to strike from bottom and not really go for a lot of subs and and sweeps Nick will be attempting to chain subs and Strike less.

Should be one hell of a fight regardless of who wins. Phone Post

Against Shields, he was either poked or took a punch to the eye that greatly affected his vision, hence the poor striking performance against a fighter known to not have the greatest striking. GSP takes a lot of shit for this and yet a similar thing happened with Nate Diaz against Bendo and people praise Nate for continuing to fight.

The fact is that GSP has a hell of a jab and while he may not be able to sit there and totally outbox Diaz, he'll definitely get his jab off and will certainly mix up his attack with takedowns.

Also, Condit used a kick-heavy gameplan that GSP is not necessarily known for. GSP has never been one to really use kicks as a way to win a fight and certainly has never been one to move and dance around as much or in the same manner as Condit. Why anyone would have thought GSP would use that same strategy boggles my mind.

I firmly believe GSP suffered from ring rust against Condit and his performance showed it. He didnt look good at all IMO. I think he'll be much better conditioned when he fights Diaz and will be more aggressive with his attack. I fully expect GSP to do his best to damage Diaz heavily. Whether that happens or not, I dont know.

I do agree that nick will be a little more crafty off of his back and will try to utilize more sweeps while being active with his sub game.

I cant wait to see how this plays out though. Its such an interesting matchup.
You can say the eye poke made a significant impact but it must not have been significant enough for GSP to start shooting for tds because he stood with shields regardless.

GSP likes to use a stepping jab, he stays outside and makes his way in with it but he always backs out of the pocket and resets and most times fighters let him get away with it.

I'm interested in seeing how nicks pressure style clashes with GSPs, Condit used lateral movement and a lot of it, GSP uses more back and forth movement and I think that plays into nicks style a lot more. Phone Post
1/18/13 9:57 PM
x9uv
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that 12-6 spiking elbow is only illegal when its perpendicular to the ground. Dudes fighting off their back in guard should throw those all day to the top guys head. wonder if diaz is training that...
1/18/13 10:07 PM
Kings21
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGSlapshot - 
Kings21 -
UGSlapshot -  GSP does not have the same type of athleticism to be able to implement Condits gameplan.

That said, he stood with Jake but Shileds has nowhere near the striking skills Diaz does.

I think he'll try to stand with Nick and if that starts to favor Diaz then he'll go for the td and just try to control him.

I don't think he puts out as much offense as he did with condit because Diaz has a much better sub game than Condit.

Carlos was content to strike from bottom and not really go for a lot of subs and and sweeps Nick will be attempting to chain subs and Strike less.

Should be one hell of a fight regardless of who wins. Phone Post

Against Shields, he was either poked or took a punch to the eye that greatly affected his vision, hence the poor striking performance against a fighter known to not have the greatest striking. GSP takes a lot of shit for this and yet a similar thing happened with Nate Diaz against Bendo and people praise Nate for continuing to fight.

The fact is that GSP has a hell of a jab and while he may not be able to sit there and totally outbox Diaz, he'll definitely get his jab off and will certainly mix up his attack with takedowns.

Also, Condit used a kick-heavy gameplan that GSP is not necessarily known for. GSP has never been one to really use kicks as a way to win a fight and certainly has never been one to move and dance around as much or in the same manner as Condit. Why anyone would have thought GSP would use that same strategy boggles my mind.

I firmly believe GSP suffered from ring rust against Condit and his performance showed it. He didnt look good at all IMO. I think he'll be much better conditioned when he fights Diaz and will be more aggressive with his attack. I fully expect GSP to do his best to damage Diaz heavily. Whether that happens or not, I dont know.

I do agree that nick will be a little more crafty off of his back and will try to utilize more sweeps while being active with his sub game.

I cant wait to see how this plays out though. Its such an interesting matchup.
You can say the eye poke made a significant impact but it must not have been significant enough for GSP to start shooting for tds because he stood with shields regardless.

GSP likes to use a stepping jab, he stays outside and makes his way in with it but he always backs out of the pocket and resets and most times fighters let him get away with it.

I'm interested in seeing how nicks pressure style clashes with GSPs, Condit used lateral movement and a lot of it, GSP uses more back and forth movement and I think that plays into nicks style a lot more. Phone Post

Yea I'm not sure how much the eye poke affected his performance but you also have to think back to him pulling his groin (cant recall which fight it was) and jackson just told him to hit him with it which leads me to believe that GSP likes to stick to the gameplan regardless. A fight on the feet against Shields I imagine is always safer on the feet even if you're half blurry in one eye.

In regards to Nicks forward pressure I think this is when GSP goes for the takedown over and over. Whether or not he wants to stay on the ground with Diaz, I'm not sure but its definitely a way (albeit tedious and boring) deal with the forward pressure that Diaz presents. It wouldnt be the first time we've seen people put someone on their back over and over only to get up and restart in a favorable situation.
1/18/13 10:30 PM
UGSlapshot

Nick Fury - GSP is going to take Diaz down and open his scar tissue up horribly with brutal GnP. By the end of this fight Diaz will look bad, real bad. Rush with a decisive victory. Might even be a ref stoppage due to massacre. Phone Post
GSP has never had particularly dangerous G&P. Phone Post
1/18/13 10:35 PM
FormrChamp

I hate to be a party pooper, but Diaz has absolutely nothing for GSP.....
1/18/13 10:37 PM
rundymc

Toby Lerone - 

I think GSP keeps it standing and jabs him to death in this one.

Nope.

Diaz is southpaw. GSP is orthodox. To land a southpaw jab you'll need to circle inside the lead leg, and in MMA you'll find yourself off balance. Jack Slack has an article on it over at bloody elbow, search for Ward vs Dawson.

Georges will utilize a lot of inside leg kicks. Condit and Benson have written and executed the book on beating the Diaz brothers, and I'd bet GSP isn't going to come up with anything new... he's just going to perfect it.
1/18/13 10:48 PM
lozer81

x9uv - that 12-6 spiking elbow is only illegal when its perpendicular to the ground. Dudes fighting off their back in guard should throw those all day to the top guys head. wonder if diaz is training that...

this.

gsp didnt like it too much when carlos was doing this to him, i think this is a very under used tool.
1/18/13 10:53 PM
UGSlapshot

ObamaCare -
GriffinQ - 
cheesesteak -
Anderson Emelianenko GOAT - Nicolas isn't a pro level boxer.

He can hang with Mickey Ward in practice from what i hear. Sure Mickey doesn't unload hells fire on him but I wouldn't be surprised for Nick to be able to win a few pro boxing matches here or there against lower tier pros.
Jesus Christ, please please please be trolling Phone Post

lol

there was a video of nick diaz sparring omar henry

diaz got whooped on so bad that they made the video private so no more people could see it

both diaz brothers have nothing to offer against a moving target

stand still in front of them like an untrained noob and they will lay you down

start moving around some and they dont know what to make of it

[IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa37/quistoman/obama-liarliar.jpg[/IMG] Phone Post
1/18/13 11:27 PM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

show no mercy -
GriffinQ - 
cheesesteak -
Anderson Emelianenko GOAT - Nicolas isn't a pro level boxer.

He can hang with Mickey Ward in practice from what i hear. Sure Mickey doesn't unload hells fire on him but I wouldn't be surprised for Nick to be able to win a few pro boxing matches here or there against lower tier pros.
Jesus Christ, please please please be trolling Phone Post

he meant andre ward
I know what he "meant", but no self-respecting boxing fan who actually knows anything about either man would ever confuse the two. Hell, they're not even the same race Phone Post
1/18/13 11:28 PM
Pride Wanderlei

NotImpressedByYourScreenName -
Toby Lerone -

I think GSP keeps it standing and jabs him to death in this one.

No fucking way GSP boxes with Nick. That would be Stoopid since Nick is the better boxer.

GSP will leg kick, TD, GnP, let up, repeat 10x per round. Phone Post
I think alot of people sleep on GSPs striking, plus GSP can threaten with a takedown and make aton of strikers hesitate Phone Post
1/20/13 12:29 AM
UGSlapshot

lozer81 -
x9uv - that 12-6 spiking elbow is only illegal when its perpendicular to the ground. Dudes fighting off their back in guard should throw those all day to the top guys head. wonder if diaz is training that...

this.

gsp didnt like it too much when carlos was doing this to him, i think this is a very under used tool.
Refresh my memory, how did that work out for Carlos?

I just don't think you can win a fight by striking from the bottom without some other offence and some luck.

Nicks best opportunities should come from standing and even though he's more dangerous on the ground than Condit if he can't find a sub GSP will win.

If I'm Nick I work like hell to keep it standing but when GSP takes him down if he can't set up a sub quickly then he needs to put all his effort into getting back to his feet.

Too many bjj fighters are overly comfortable with staying on their back and waitinng for a opportunity that never comes. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.