UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Keith Kizer: I welcome honest criticism

1/19/13 12:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GriffinQ
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smoogy - He acts like there isn't ample data on which of his judges are doing a crap job. Hard to expect honest criticism when you're disingenuous about the nature of the officiating problem in your state.
How the fuck does smoogy have less VU's than me, y'all are voting up the wrong people. This man is an asset to the world of MMA

On the topic of Kizer... He may welcome criticism, but how much does he actually change after hearing it? The same judges keep judging. The same refs keep making mistakes. And despite the CONSTANT criticism of certain judges on here (Adelaide Byrd, I'm looking at you), they continue to be given jobs and they continue to screw up the livelihoods of the men and women competing.

That's unacceptable, Kizer. We will offer criticism, and chances are, many of us are more educated than the judges. It's up to you to actually look into the criticism and do something about it Phone Post
1/19/13 12:24 AM
Matt Phillips
792 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keith, if you are reading, how do you reprimand refs and judges who consistantly make mistakes? I think it would make a lot of us feel better if we knew there were consequenses and repercussions.

Can you talk about the process you use to hire judges and refs? What kind of qualifications do you look for? Maybe putting this type of info out in the open like this would result in better candidates.

1/19/13 12:32 AM
demonsurge
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More "random testing" that doesnt appear to strictly go after the main event with suspect fighters.

Better drug testing, but there is only so much you can do in this regard without the support or help of UFC doing the same.

Judges I wont touch as its terrible.

Refs I think for the most part are always improving and its light years ahead of what it was 5 years ago.

Honestly, the biggest thing you can do is actually randomly test and have a level playing field. I dont really care if fighters do or dont as long as its equal.

And walk away from positive for marijuana, I dont like it but its dumb to judge fighters based on it. Also, Dana wont have excuses for not doing drug testing ala WWE.
1/19/13 12:33 AM
Silverball
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smoogy - He acts like there isn't ample data on which of his judges are doing a crap job. Hard to expect honest criticism when you're disingenuous about the nature of the officiating problem in your state.

VTFU
1/19/13 12:44 AM
Joe_Drogan420
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^just keep your eyes peeled and you'll see keith post something sardonic in no time.
1/19/13 12:46 AM
Tap In
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After watching multiple hearings of the NSAC, he is a joke along with the rest of them. Incompetence at it's finest
1/19/13 1:20 AM
ausgepicht

He doesn't welcome criticism. I have never heard him ONCE budge or make an adjustment on a decision. He is rigid, inflexible and stubborn. He cares about the sport being legitimate only to a point. Where's his outrage when Adeliade Byrd pulls her shit? He should be ON it. Find out if she is mentally deficient, incompetent, or just out and out not paying attention to the fights she is judging.

He needs to crack down on this shit.

1/19/13 1:28 AM
Dr Violence
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't click the link or post in this thread! He only wants your honest criticism to smirk at while getting paid (with your money) for doing nothing. Kizer is an attention craving troll and nothing more, don't feed his ego by contacting him or talking about him. Act like he doesn't exist!
1/19/13 2:32 AM
IHangFromBJsBallSack

I hate hiM hE sUCkZ Phone Post
1/19/13 5:11 AM
Voodoo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly do not know how he does his job, I could not take the criticism that he handles on a regular basis. I don't always agree with all his decisions, but I respect him a lot. Phone Post
1/19/13 6:03 AM
B_Goetz

“I take my job very seriously,” he says. “What we’re focusing on is making the sport as safe as possible, as legitimate as possible and as competitive as possible.”

Legitimate? Fighters cheat right in front of your officials in over half the fights by grabbing the fence to defend takedowns, and are almost never penalized in any way. It's to the point where fighters who don't cheat are at a massive disadvantage to those who do. All this blood testing as a token effort to try to catch people using steroids is laughable when you can cheat right in front of a referee, have him acknowledge that you're cheating, and still nothing is done about it.

1/19/13 6:15 AM
FortyKoatz

The buck stops with Keizer in Vegas. As he has admitted, he is ultimately the one responsible for hiring these boxing judges and other ass clowns.

Hes had ample advice by respected mma figures like Joe Rogan, Bas, and even Dana on how to improve the situation and he has basically ignored them.

We need someone else in there who going to take a more proactive role.

1/19/13 6:35 AM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

Keith is an awesome regulator. And he likes honest criticism. What is better than that?

I know he gets a lot of guff on the UG. This will be a good test for you guys.

If you post "I hate hiM hE sUCkZ," that is not honest criticism. If you have something honest to say, respectfully, that is worth saying, he is probably interested.

LOL.

Kirik thinks EvERYONE is AWESOME.

1/19/13 6:35 AM
CindyO

Kirik - 

Keith is an awesome regulator. And he likes honest criticism. What is better than that?

If you post "I hate hiM hE sUCkZ," that is not honest criticism. If you have something honest to say, respectfully, that is worth saying, he is probably interested.

What is better than that?

His hair:)

Cindy

1/19/13 6:37 AM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gave you the sympathy vote up Cindy--that's ABSURD

1/19/13 7:09 AM
razrtyrone

Whether he welcomes them or not criticisms ain't gonna stop so it makes no real difference that he's declaring how he 'welcomes criticisms' besides looking like he's the better man.
Knowing what the criticisms are he hasn't shown to do much with it.
Comparing Basketball is not fair because most of the crowd when at home will boo any decision not favorable to their team whereas in MMA there's not always a 'home court' to each fighter and their criticisms at those time are more objective
1/19/13 7:35 AM
Rob San Soo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smoke a Jay then we can talk Phone Post
1/19/13 9:25 AM
Authority Figure

THOUGHTS FOR KIZER

Sometimes commissioners seem to lack some of the training, professionalism and analytical skills required for a position of this stature. 

• Are commissioners appointed, as in the case of most other commissions?
  • What are their qualifications? Are any of these related to regulatory experience in other fields? Are any of these related to sports, as participant? Coach? Referee?

There seems to be a great disparity in how athletes are treated when they are caught using banned substances. In fact, the bigger the draw, the bigger the name, the more money involved, the less likely the athlete will get a severe reprimand. 

• There is a growing concern about the integrity of the commission. Are you worried?
  • Do you see a part of your as maintaining or restoring public faith and trust in the commission?

Nick Diaz, let him bang bro.

• In seems that both sides have dug their heels in. I can't see any benefit to a sports commission prolonging the punishment of a fighter on marjiuana. Especially one that holds a marijuana medical use card. It seems like a gross misuse of time, funds and that fighters shelf life. What's the precedent? That is, name another sport or commission that would go to these lengths to make a statement about how marijuana use? Or just let 'em bang, bro.
1/19/13 9:28 AM
Wade5000

I do not think there is enough time
1/19/13 9:44 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

Voodoo -  I honestly do not know how he does his job, I could not take the criticism that he handles on a regular basis. I don't always agree with all his decisions, but I respect him a lot. Phone Post

i deal with various state agencies all the time so i will tell u how he keeps his job.  virtually every one working in state agencies is either lazy, incompetent or corrupt or a combination of two or all of those things. beoad generalization but its mostly true.   basically they all have jobs tney know they should not have.  that ultimately leads to the status quo. noone wants to rock the boat and screw up what they have. for example what if he hired a new judge and that judge was actually intelligent and proactive and ambitious and started pointing out whats wrong and started advocating change.  noone else in the agency wants that.  they just want people around who have the same level of sloth and ineptitude that will turn a blind eye to each other.  and if they fire any judge its possible that the judge in retribution will go public with criticisms about the agency.  cant have that.

1/19/13 9:49 AM
Dogman

Saltyballs -  Honest criticism? Ok how about reforming the way judges are selected and implementing an MMA educational system for existing and future judges.

As an athletic commission I would think that judging would be a top priority. Would love to see Kizer lead the way on this. Phone Post

OK - start with this Mr. Kizer!
1/19/13 9:58 AM
studiocamp
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

At least be signed in as UG Blog if you're going to troll. ;)

When has he ever answered seriously in regards to "honest criticism" on here? Anytime I've seen a serious discussion regarding the NSAC come up he either tries to inject some poor sense of humor or he just flat out ignores it.
1/19/13 1:55 PM
GarlicSauce

Kizer's response to Pacquio/Bradley: "I'm not concerned about it."

Ok.
1/19/13 2:42 PM
orcus

The guy is the head of an AC whose judges are routinely ridiculed and loathed by MMA and boxing promoters, along with the journalists and fans. From shady decisions to blatantly ignorant decisions. And their boss does absolutely nothing to improve the situation, and these judges continue to be the judges at one high profile event after another.

What has Kizer done in response to the CONSTANT and vehement criticism of the state of judging?

Absolutely nothing. 

In fact, iirc, when it was suggested that the AC institute some kind of training program so these idiots can actually understand the sport they are judging, his response was something like "lol that's not my job, they can train if they want".

1/19/13 2:47 PM
Galanis
768 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

The guy is the head of an AC whose judges are routinely ridiculed and loathed by MMA and boxing promoters, along with the journalists and fans. From shady decisions to blatantly ignorant decisions. And their boss does absolutely nothing to improve the situation, and these judges continue to be the judges at one high profile event after another.

What has Kizer done in response to the CONSTANT and vehement criticism of the state of judging?

Absolutely nothing. 

In fact, iirc, when it was suggested that the AC institute some kind of training program so these idiots can actually understand the sport they are judging, his response was something like "lol that's not my job, they can train if they want".

Nail on the head

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.