UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Disappointed Pros are quiet about TLI

1/20/13 9:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian J DSouza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/13 9:34 AM

I just wanted to defend the pro fighters, or UFC fighters, especially the ones who spoke up in the past.

No reason to criticize a group of people, most of whom have been bullied at some point, a few who are proactive in calling for change to the point that they established their own organizations.

The pros do care, and do condemn violent crime.

1/20/13 9:36 AM
Brian J DSouza

Edited: 01/20/13 9:36 AM
Winston Wolf - what random people we attacking ?

The random people that have been attacked in this thread alone are as follows: pro/UFC MMA fighters; the media; and now you're attacking me instead of addressing/acknowleging my points about the UFC & bad PR.

I'm done here, since you're now insinuiating that I am defending Lloyd Irvin (next you'll be saying I condoned the gang rape).

1/20/13 9:37 AM
Winston Wolf
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian J DSouza - 
Winston Wolf - what random people we attacking ?

The random people that have been attacked in this thread alone are as follows: pro/UFC MMA fighters; the media; and now you're attacking me instead of addressing/acknowleging my points about the UFC & bad PR.

I'm done here, since you're now insinuiating that I am defending Lloyd Irvin (next you'll be saying I condoned the gang rape).

see ya
1/20/13 9:39 AM
Winston Wolf
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/13 10:15 AM
maybe a statement from Lloyd would be nice
1/20/13 9:40 AM
Winston Wolf

this is a time when people need to speak out against a rapist POS not say nothing thats my opinion.You differ thats fine.Dana was real quick to comment about Torrez ( was that the 135ers name ) just mentioning rape jokingly This was a real rape
1/20/13 9:41 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

The occasion doesn't demand speaking Phone Post
1/20/13 9:42 AM
Winston Wolf

Smith1234 - 
effinggoof - If anyone should speak out about pedo priests, it's catholics.

If anyone should have spoken out about Sandusky, it was the Penn State people.

Honest cops should be the first to speak out against dirty cops.

Likewise, if anyone should speak out against the rapist Lloyd Irvin, it's the grappling and MMA community.

I would like to personally thank the greennamers like Helwig and Rev John ( sorry to those others I missed) who have conspicuously spoken out against TLI.

Well said

agreed
1/20/13 9:43 AM
T-Ham
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom can never wear a shirt tight enough.

Know what I'm sayin Phone Post
1/20/13 9:49 AM
Forrest Gimp

Tom Lawlor - 
Gokudamus stole my name -
Tom Lawlor - 

By reading it, I don't think her "big brother" was there, but that she confided in him later that she didn't know what Gatling had to do with it. 

"The defense proffered that Neighbors would also testify that, although he was present at the time of the alleged rapes, he did not hear screams or crying."
Whoops, I stand corrected. Interesting that he was her "big brother", was there and didn't stop it, nor did he stand trial for anything it seems. Not sure what, if anything, it adds or detracts. Phone Post

It'd sure be interesting to know how many were at this party. I mean, if there were 100 people there, I can see him taking her there to show a bit of the college-life and losing track of her. If there were only him, her, and those that stood trial in that apartment, I'd say it'd look premeditated.
1/20/13 10:07 AM
Farewell Brock
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom Lawlor -
Smith1234 - I get it that people say not all fighters should speak out against this. But neither do random posters have to speak out against it.

Yet we are. There are tons of people livid about the Ohio HS football team, but specific to this thread there are a ton of us livid at Lloyd and Avellan for that matter.

Pro fighters should be speaking out against this not because they are pro fighters. But because they are human beings like the rest of us.

The participation rate of pros is close to zero. Fans much higher. Why? Phone Post
Is the participation rate really that high? There are an infinite number of posters on the UG who aren't fighters compared to the ones that are. You guys act like every UFC fighter is a member of this board and peruses the internet looking for the best chance to speak out against Lloyd Irvin.

The truth is most UFC fighters don't come on this board because of attitudes like this, questioning fighters morality because they aren't speaking out on a situation in which its possible they don't know all the facts. The only people who maybe you should be looking for statements from are the ones who are directly in contact with TLI. Even then, those people don't owe you anything in the way of an explanation if they don't want to give one. Phone Post
Tom, your responses in this thread up to this point alone has mad me a fan. Keep up the good work. Phone Post
1/20/13 10:23 AM
Jay Haas
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seats Taken - If one of the UFC pro's on here made one off handed comment; it would instantly be on the UG News, Bloody Elbow and Facebook, would end up horribly out of context and look like they were pitting themselves directly for or against TLI. It's not worth the hassle unless they are ready for a media blitzkrieg Phone Post
Boom Phone Post
1/20/13 10:29 AM
Winston Wolf

Jay Haas - 
Seats Taken - If one of the UFC pro's on here made one off handed comment; it would instantly be on the UG News, Bloody Elbow and Facebook, would end up horribly out of context and look like they were pitting themselves directly for or against TLI. It's not worth the hassle unless they are ready for a media blitzkrieg Phone Post
Boom Phone Post

good point
1/20/13 10:38 AM
Winston Wolf

after some thought I can understand why the bigger names are quiet and was wrong
1/20/13 10:52 AM
sleepybear70
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom Lawlor - 
rundymc - Wait... are we talking pros as in ALL pros?! As opposed to pros connected to Lloyd?

That's hilarious. Come on guys. While the case is fucked up, it isn't important news to most people. Your average reaction on hearing Irvin has a past rape case is "Oh really? And he hasn't put out a statement in his defense? That's fucked. Guess I'm not hot on TLI anymore."

While Lloyd is a big figure in the BJJ community, he just isn't a very important person otherwise. You hear his name come out of Joe Rogan's mouth when a BETA guy fights, and that's pretty much the extent of it.

Yes, it's good to get the word out on a rapist who's managed to make a lot of money in the martial arts while hiding his past. But let's not expect every high profile guy in the same industry as him to speak out on it.

Btw Tom, saw you walking past the Starbucks yesterday. I thought I was seeing shit, fucking Tom Lawlor walking around Singapore, had to google you lol. Get a polo T that fits man ;)

it was a t-shirt man! and the XL's here are like a boys large in the U.S., oh yeah plus I was probably wearing a backpack that was pulling the shirt tighter!

I like to use the old "money belt" makes me look fat excuse when I'm traveling
1/20/13 10:54 AM
BertR

The fact that Lloyd hasn't been immediately ostracized for this ignore/cover up defense of his rapist past is embarrassing. The silence should tell you all about the level of character and fear from those involved in mma/bjj.
1/20/13 11:01 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winston Wolf - The only big names to say anything about TLI was Rener Gracie and his brother.They didnt really bash Lloyd much but did at least adress the important role a BJJ teacher has a role model.But Im disapointed in the silnce not only on this forum but anywhere The Pros are being quiet as a mouse about this.I always thought MMA fighters had balls to stand up to what is wrong .But the silence is disapointing.All the fans here are commenting on it but the Pros are silent like a mouse
This...

I do not think that they need to publicly crucify Irvin but some constructive thought about the situation and its implications gor the sport in general would have been nice.

It looks suspiciously about closing ranks.

And it is a little reprehensible considering the fact that some did choose to post that dumb shit about Sandy Hook. Phone Post
1/20/13 11:08 AM
Silhouette
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny that Snapple (mod here on the UG and TLI member) hasnt said anything

hes been deleting every criticism of TLI for years over on the Atama forum
1/20/13 11:09 AM
BertR

Tom Lawlor - 
Smith1234 - I get it that people say not all fighters should speak out against this. But neither do random posters have to speak out against it.

Yet we are. There are tons of people livid about the Ohio HS football team, but specific to this thread there are a ton of us livid at Lloyd and Avellan for that matter.

Pro fighters should be speaking out against this not because they are pro fighters. But because they are human beings like the rest of us.

The participation rate of pros is close to zero. Fans much higher. Why? Phone Post
Is the participation rate really that high? There are an infinite number of posters on the UG who aren't fighters compared to the ones that are. You guys act like every UFC fighter is a member of this board and peruses the internet looking for the best chance to speak out against Lloyd Irvin.

The truth is most UFC fighters don't come on this board because of attitudes like this, questioning fighters morality because they aren't speaking out on a situation in which its possible they don't know all the facts. The only people who maybe you should be looking for statements from are the ones who are directly in contact with TLI. Even then, those people don't owe you anything in the way of an explanation if they don't want to give one. Phone Post

It's true, they don't owe anyone anything. But at the same time, don't pretend you're a decent human being if you are burdened by the inconvenience of reading the information that's already out there which is clearly damning, and speaking out against a prominent member of your sport and community for refusing to comment on it.
1/20/13 11:41 AM
bmorela3

BertR -
Tom Lawlor - 

It's true, they don't owe anyone anything. But at the same time, don't pretend you're a decent human being if you are burdened by the inconvenience of reading the information that's already out there which is clearly damning, and speaking out against a prominent member of your sport and community for refusing to comment on it.
so now he's not a good person because he won't say anything? makes sense! Phone Post
1/20/13 12:06 PM
wiggum
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC fighters post about fucking everything including their reaction to every fight. Certainly they can mention that Lloyd Irvin is a fucking scumbag and that everyone should disassociate themselves with him.

They hit each other for roiding all the time. Why not rape?
1/20/13 12:37 PM
Virginio
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiggum - UFC fighters post about fucking everything including their reaction to every fight. Certainly they can mention that Lloyd Irvin is a fucking scumbag and that everyone should disassociate themselves with him.

Boom. Phone Post
1/20/13 1:00 PM
cheesesteak
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiggum - UFC fighters post about fucking everything including their reaction to every fight. Certainly they can mention that Lloyd Irvin is a fucking scumbag and that everyone should disassociate themselves with him.

very good point.
1/20/13 1:21 PM
mata_leao
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mouse.Martial.Arts :( Phone Post
1/20/13 1:37 PM
TheGoldenRule
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although I doubt this be the case, how do we know several pros haven't indeed hit these forums hard with anti TLI statements via anonymous sn's created, so as to protect their interests and still speak their minds? ... Just like us?

I doubt many of us would post our name, address, phone #, etc as a preface to each of our emotional posts... As each pro would be doing if they were to publicly speak out in either support, or rebuke of TLI.

I too would be an eternal fan of any fighter willing to risk his entire family's future to speak out on issues like these, but when I think about it.... I understand why silence is easier. Phone Post
1/20/13 1:53 PM
Evzey
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian J DSouza -
Evzey -  I'd also like to know why no MMA journalist has tried to look into this matter Phone Post

http://www.fightopinion.com/2013/01/12/court-lloyd-irvin-students-rape/

http://www.cagepotato.com/so-i-guess-we-should-talk-about-the-whole-lloyd-irvin-rape-thing/

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-Two-Men-Arrested-for-Alleged-Rape-of-Fellow-Lloyd-Irvin-Student-on-New-Years-Eve-48967

And just one of MANY stories from BloodyElbow.com:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/18/3891382/gracie-brothers-lloyd-irvin-student-rape-case-bjj

I would post more, but I don't have enough time.

Cheers dude but u ment the rape Lloyd Irvin was involved in Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.