UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Not stretching my back is catching up to me

1/19/13 11:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Collin Reuter
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been training hard for my upcoming fight and have been getting little knots and spasms next to my shoulder blade that feel like they run up into my neck and keep me from moving without pain. Now I've had a very intense knot/spasm for the past 11 hours and I tried to sleep it off but it's still there. Is a deep tissue massage something that can make this go away? Also any suggestions on good ways to stretch my back before and after workouts to prevent these issues. Phone Post
1/19/13 12:53 PM
Badmonkey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A massage should help... you should also make sure you're hydrated. When the same thing happened to me i started foam rolling and drinking 16oz of water with electrolytes first thing in the morning and again in the late afternoon.

I also think that over stretching made it worse with time(this was an old injury from not tapping to a kimura back int he day), so i've been sticking to more mobility drills for 5-10 minutes once or twice a day and that seems to have helped.

Try to remember that stretching tears muscle fibers and also requires a degree of recovery.

Here is a shoulder complex i used 2-3 times a day to just get the blood flowing; do it without the weights as more of a warm up/loosening up... go through it twice in a row if it feels good and you want to push the range of motion a bit more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kECWED96UKs

1/19/13 1:23 PM
TzTinkle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get a lacrosse ball and a foam roaller if you can. Go to this page http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage/self-muscle-massage-pt-13-posterior-shoulder/ and http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage-series/self-muscle-massage-pt-11-mid-back/ it should help a bit. I've had a tightness in my rear delt area and that cleared it up pretty quick.
1/19/13 3:23 PM
Collin Reuter
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys. Phone Post
1/19/13 3:32 PM
Leigh
842 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have the same thing and also have a fight coming up. Its from laptop use, so I'm using a keyboard, monitor and mouse Phone Post
1/20/13 10:48 AM
BshMstr
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the foam roller has done wonders for my back pain...

a couple other issues, is that people tend to stretch improperly, and it might be worth your time to talk to a PT. for instance, i used to to stretch my low back a lot (the typical stretch where you touch your toes), until a PT i knew pointed out that i didn't lack flexability in my low back, but in my hamstrings.
1/20/13 3:36 PM
Ham and Egger
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Find a good masseuse to work those knots out. I use a foam roller As well but sometimes I get knots almost behind my shoulder blades and its really hard to hit. You could also check out a theracane.
1/21/13 1:33 PM
nowaydo
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not from not stretching your back, but not stretching your "front" or anterior chain and not strengthening your posterior chain.

Massage or foam roller would be only a bandage to mend the symptom, follow my advice and cure the real problem...maybe.
1/23/13 7:44 AM
Stephen Eakin
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nowaydo - It's not from not stretching your back, but not stretching your "front" or anterior chain and not strengthening your posterior chain.

Massage or foam roller would be only a bandage to mend the symptom, follow my advice and cure the real problem...maybe.
What is your advice? Specific stretches? I get this lots of times too. It is the worst pain when it flares up. Phone Post
1/23/13 9:41 PM
Collin Reuter

nowaydo - It's not from not stretching your back, but not stretching your "front" or anterior chain and not strengthening your posterior chain.

How do Phone Post
1/24/13 12:43 AM
nowaydo
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/24/13 12:44 AM

http://youtu.be/3pVQlNDVnX0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEbvVwuBnzg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTRgPvNzBNQ

1/24/13 12:46 AM
nowaydo

Great one! Thanks, Mr. Cook

1/24/13 12:48 AM
nowaydo

Edited: 01/24/13 12:53 AM
1/24/13 12:49 AM
nowaydo

Edited: 01/24/13 12:52 AM
e
1/24/13 12:56 AM
nowaydo

Do this for 2 weeks you might feel better

Do it for 2 months and you will be better

Make it a habit...the pain will be a memory.

It's not about your doctors or pills, but taking the responsibility to fix yourself.
1/24/13 8:27 AM
Stephen Eakin
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Phone Post
1/24/13 1:16 PM
Badmonkey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That second to last video of 'the founder" is gold; i've been doing that a first thing in the morning at work and it's helped a lot.

1/24/13 6:22 PM
nowaydo

ttt
1/25/13 2:46 AM
Collin Reuter

Good stuff I started those stretches today definitely felt loosened up on the mat Phone Post
1/29/13 9:12 AM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as a side note to what has already been posted I find that a better alternative to a foam roller is is piece of 4" black plastic plumbing pipe. They sell them pre cut at home depot in 3 foot lengths for around $20. They provide a much more aggressive massage and don't wear out over time as foam rollers tend to. Of course they are more painful in the beginning but as your tissue quality improves over time with frequent use that won't be an issue. Wrap the pipe in athletic tape to give it better grip.
1/29/13 6:16 PM
comeacrossclean
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

holy moly, look at the resources. thanks!
1/29/13 11:28 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nowaydo those vids are just the bee's knees

1/29/13 11:49 PM
The Gimp
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mythreads Phone Post
1/30/13 5:57 AM
spliffmood
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome
1/30/13 8:29 AM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure if this website has been circulated on this forum yet but it is a great one for all athletes to keep handy. The search function is awesome cause you can just enter the bodypart or injury type that is giving you trouble and it will give you several videos. This guy is an absolute genius when it comes sports mobility and injury prevention/treatment.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/?s=back+and++neck

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.