UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> marketing

1/19/13 7:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FRAT WARNING

years ago one of my business professors described marketing as "the act of a business aligning its values with those of the target consumer."

personally, i don't feel like my values are in-line with those of the UFC and/or Fuel-TV, with respect to the entire "Chael is Coming" promotion.  for example, the Chael ad below sadly alienates me.  nothing about it speaks to things i find exciting about MMA.  and its not because of Chael and his polarizing personality, but more because of the pro-wrasslin look and feel of the promotion.   Chael looks like Jerry Lawler in a suit.   the font style and layout is overly-brazen and in-your-face.  its all feels like something out of the WWE playbook. 

but maybe I'm not who the UFC and/or Fuel TV are pursuing.  i've been an MMA fan since the 90s.  i even worked in the industry for almost a decade.   thought i was definitely part of the targeted demo for MMA, but maybe i'm no longer part of that group.  

ad

i'm curious what old timers, TUF era noobs, Kimbo era noobs, and Fox era noobs think.

feel free to discuss or vote me down.  

thank you.

1/19/13 7:16 PM
Tap In
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/19/13 7:16 PM
It fits his persona, and you are correct it isn't aimed at you, and neither is Chael's schtick, the younger generation is what is going to make or break the ufc, they already have you
1/19/13 7:19 PM
unfilter
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i definitely see, hear, feel and taste where you're coming from.

i think that's why a lot of people still pine for the days of pride, seemed like a different demographic; arguably a classier aesthetic but without losing a sense of spectacle and balls-out grandeur.

that being said, the chael promo made me laugh.

1/19/13 7:21 PM
Brigham
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you need to lighten up a bit. Phone Post
1/19/13 7:22 PM
NaciVela
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in grad school for marketing, and I definitely see where you're coming from.

But..

Chael has a demanding personality. Whether you like him or not, you're gonna hear from him. The subtleties of the ad are designed to push it. Blaring red color, large lettering, and Chael pointing. It's designed to get your attention, as in, "Hey, watch our show now because Chael is coming". People who didn't watch the show before may tune in, just to see what Chael has to say.

I'm also 23, so ads like this are probably designed to get my attention. Marketing is one of those things were you try to appease the broadest base of consumers, and in doing that you're gonna alienate a few.
1/19/13 7:23 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never saw the promo, but Chael takes his job as an analyst seriously and is very good at it in my opinion.

1/19/13 7:24 PM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's advertisements for you in 2013, fren.

This is what draws in the public.

1/19/13 7:24 PM
inf0
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When this ad came on... I cringed. It definitely alienates me as well.

1/19/13 7:25 PM
Card
1969 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II did 900,00 ppv buys.... 

1/19/13 9:19 PM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc - 

"the public" or a narrowly-defined niche group?

i'm wondering if there's a way to promote Chael in a way that is inclusive instead of exclusive.
1/19/13 9:22 PM
Tap In
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PatrickFreitas - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

i'm wondering if there's a way to promote Chael in a way that is inclusive instead of exclusive.

The public. Chael already turns off a big demo, mostly the older crowd. Young people eat it up, that's what he is for, and they market him accordingly
1/19/13 9:26 PM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PatrickFreitas - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

He's a Top 10 fighter, an entertainer and a great analyst. What more could you want from him?

As for the style of the advertisement, it looks great. Simple typography with modern styling. That's what's in right now.

1/19/13 10:25 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tap In - It fits his persona, and you are correct it isn't aimed at you, and neither is Chael's schtick, the younger generation is what is going to make or break the ufc, they already have you
The younger generation won't love a nearly 40 year old guy who can't knock anyone out and delivers corny pro wrestling promos from the 70s and 80s.

Sonnen is no draw.

Only times he "drew" was with Anderson Silva in there.

When he fought Stann on a undercard it added nothing to an event that drew low buys and his bout with Bisping didn't kick ass on free tv.

Chael. Is. No. Draw.

It's contrived and forced as is his gimmick Phone Post
1/19/13 10:55 PM
PatrickFreitas

yellow wrkahlc - 
PatrickFreitas - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

He's a Top 10 fighter, an entertainer and a great analyst. What more could you want from him?

As for the style of the advertisement, it looks great. Simple typography with modern styling. That's what's in right now.

Chael's status as a Top 10 fighter, an entertainer, or an analyst has nothing to do with the topic.

its a certainty that marketing to a niche group comes at the expense of alienating all of those individuals who aren't part of the targeted niche. but is it possible to market in a way that draws the interest of the wider public without alienating the niche group?

i guess what i'm really asking is if the UFC wants a thin slice of the pie or the whole damn pie? or at least a larger slice of the pie? the ad/promo i posted above tells me they only want the Male 18-24 slice. that's a narrow market that can't be define as "the public."

maybe i've got it all wrong, and should be discussing psychographics instead of demographics?

maybe that's what this is about.
1/19/13 11:06 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC Tonight airs on Fuel TV, so I think this advert is correct for the targeted demographic.

I don't watch much Fuel or FX, aside from MMA fights, so it's obviously not aimed at me.

1/19/13 11:06 PM
yellow wrkahlc

PatrickFreitas - 
yellow wrkahlc - 
PatrickFreitas - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

Chael's status as a Top 10 fighter, an entertainer, or an analyst has nothing to do with the topic.

its a certainty that marketing to a niche group comes at the expense of alienating all of those individuals who aren't part of the targeted niche. but is it possible to market in a way that draws the interest of the wider public without alienating the niche group?

i guess what i'm really asking is if the UFC wants a thin slice of the pie or the whole damn pie? or at least a larger slice of the pie? the ad/promo i posted above tells me they only want the Male 18-24 slice. that's a narrow market that can't be define as "the public."

maybe i've got it all wrong, and should be discussing psychographics instead of demographics?

maybe that's what this is about.

You've got it all wrong, because it has EVERYTHING to do with it.  Sonnen wouldn't be known if it weren't for those three things. 

BUT you are right, that small bit of the demographic can't be labeled as the public. Unfortunately, not every man your age has the same sentiments on the topic.

The general, casual fan likes Sonnen. If they didn't, he wouldn't be getting the job.

1/19/13 11:44 PM
Dirk Bevlin
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
1/19/13 11:47 PM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fox and Zuffa are over doing the "chael" fad.

2/1/13 3:09 AM
Dirk Bevlin
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the UFC could really use some help in the ideas department.

I never cared much for the gladiator opening, but those fist-fighting robots they start the shows with now are just ridiculous, I actually feel a little embarrassed when I see them.

They seem to have the younger market pretty well roped in, so I'd like to see them go after an older, more sophisticated viewership. Rock'em Sock'em robots, nu-metal theme music, and the president of the company and their color analyst appearing at weigh-ins and pressers wearing t-shirts and backwards baseball caps just isn't going to do it.

I don't want MMA in general or the UFC in particular to become like the mess that is professional boxing, but if they want to be taken seriously as a sport, I think they would do well to take some cues.

Rogan and Dana need to wear suits, sport coats at the very least, when they're at work, representing the brand. And they should lose the ridiculous robots and the terrible metal music. They need to show some class.

As for the Sonnen ad posted above, it doesn't bother me much. It's a minimalist design, and it's eye-catching without being gaudy or offensive. Maybe I'm just thankful it doesn't feature flames or skulls or chain-link fencing. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.