UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> If it Keeps on raining (what's gonna happen?)

1/20/13 12:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
668 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/13 12:49 AM

you know what will happen....
1/20/13 12:22 AM
Ali
668 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/20/13 12:22 AM
Ali

1/20/13 12:24 AM
Ali

1/20/13 12:25 AM
Ali

1/20/13 12:30 AM
Ali

1/21/13 2:14 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome post Ali!
I came on here fully expecting to say, 'hands down Memphis Minnie.' After seeing Zepparella I still think MM wins, except now I have my hands down my pants.
1/21/13 4:01 PM
Ali

Thanks DasBeaver. I suppose it's obvious that I had some specific reasons for each of those. Ahem. Truth is that what got me started was the Marc Ribot guitar part on the Krauss/Plant. I knew if I didn't post Memphis Minnie first, I might be in trouble with you, though!
1/21/13 4:28 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was really well done. I liked all but the last two versions. I guess the perfect circle one I didn't really get. The drum beat from the Zepp version is one of the greatest things ever, maybe that's what I was listening for.

It's amazing how many cover versions of this song are on youtube! Ever heard of Ari Eisinger? I don't know if he performs or records much, he's in Stefan Grossman's stable of 'country blues guitar aficionados' alongside heavy hitters like Woody Mann. At any rate, I just discovered he does a pretty cool version of the original too:

:
1/21/13 5:10 PM
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for later.

1/22/13 12:23 AM
Ali

Edited: 01/22/13 12:25 AM
To tell the truth, I never really "got" Tool or A Perfect Circle. I thought what APC did here was interesting because of how distant their concerns were from "authenticity". As different as, say, John Campbell and Ari Eisinger are, they're both coming out of some concern for Blues Authentic Truth.

And they're both pretty damn great. APC is about something else altogether, and to me at least somewhat interesting. (And also the truth told, I didn't listen to the whole thing... just pigeon-holed what I thought was good about it half-way throgh. And also I note, the same sort of argument could be said for Zepparella, though what they're after is different yet again. And more obvious. And I did watch that till the end, for whatever that's worth. (I think it sucks, really -- without the visuals, at least).

I don't know what to say about Dylan. If you don't dig it you don't. He gets endless leeway from me.

And I didn't post the Zeppelin because I figured that's what EVERYONE knows. Oddly, an hour after I started this thread, someone posted the Zeppelin song as "GOAT" on the OG. And it is one of the few tunes where I really hear what it that makes people cream themselves over Bonham.

I like Krauss, too. And she's looking pretty good for someone so ... age appropriate. But I think Plant just let her have it as a way of acknowledging the original was sung by a woman. And... I think Ribot is off the hook. Too much of his best work is in lengths of two or three bars (think of all the guitar work on Waits' "Rain Dogs", for example, where you just want it to go on. But noooo....) There's a John Zorn performance (tune: "Bittern") where he he goes apeshit avant-surf that I'd been listening to. And then, not looking for him at all, I got to hear him with Plant and Krauss. And do that song. Youtube brings all this stuff into your home. It's a damn miracle. The richest of the kings of history didn't get to live as well us, I tell you. In spite of collection agencies and broken faucets and dead car batteries. Youtube is becoming more of a miracle to me all the time.
1/22/13 11:01 AM
DasBeaver

I've always liked Tool, if for nothing else their album covers (remember those things?). I've heard a fair bit of APC, and although I can appreciate what they do, I wouldn't listen to it of my own accord. A good band at the wrong time in my listening career. Zepparella doesn't really need the sound to be great, just a few more closeups.

Don't mean to diss Dylan, but there are times when it seems I've heard all I need (read: want) to hear from the guy. I was watching a movie the other night and 'Girl from North County' was part of the soundtrack. My wife asked who the guy with Johnny Cash was, and when I told her she thought I was joking. I was tempted to grab the vinyl, but the thought of revisiting that record really turned me off, and as an aftershock the rest of his catalog looked equally as appealing.

At any rate, once again you've nailed everything perfectly. And youtube, holy shit - remember when this forum first started and we had to send tapes back and forth!
1/25/13 10:15 PM
Ali

Edited: 01/25/13 10:27 PM
Well... I was thinking about trying to talk you into Dylan. But what fool needs to be on my program to add pain to his life?

I will say... if you can find the "Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" from Nagoya, you should hear that. I don't think it's on youtube. But I'll look again. (If you're reading this five minutes after I posted it, it's not there).

And later stuff that you maybe never got to.... (?) .... "Everything Is Broken" or, better, "Brownville Girl" (?)

I could go on, really. But I'll stop with those two. There's a cringeworthy moment in Brownsville Girl (read: rock sax solo :::shudder:::). But that's super short. And the rest of it is great. And it contains the all-time great vocal and lyric: "I didn't know whether to duck or run, so I ran!"

Covers, I assume, are a different story for both of us, too. But if you haven't heard Hendrix doing "Drifter's Escape" you should. The one on "Loose Ends", not "South Saturn Delta". And Chris Whitley doing Dylan, sometimes. Whitley needs his own thread, though.
1/28/13 11:27 AM
DasBeaver

Rock sax! Whoo!
I don't think I've heard the Loose Ends version of Drifter's Escape, I'll definitely check that out. I don't know much Chris Whitley, maybe it's time.
I don't dislike Dylan by any means, he's one of those unfortunate artists I've burned myself out on with too much repeated listening.
1/28/13 9:47 PM
Ali

Edited: 01/28/13 11:35 PM
DasBeaver - Rock sax! Whoo!
I don't think I've heard the Loose Ends version of Drifter's Escape, I'll definitely check that out. I don't know much Chris Whitley, maybe it's time.
I don't dislike Dylan by any means, he's one of those unfortunate artists I've burned myself out on with too much repeated listening.

I'm not sure if it's just a different mix or what, but the Drifter's Escape on Loose Ends just sounds more powerful than the one in the box set or on South Saturn Delta.

Whitley -- he's more like.... pick the best songs carefully and he's amazing. But he can be awfully depressing, and even the best stuff takes the right mood. Still, at his best he was just a very, very powerful songwriter and performer. I might start a thread and see how it goes.

And Dylan... yup, I get that there's a burn out factor. I stopped listning altogether for a very long time. I started again and got into a bunch of things I totally missed when I was younger. I read Chronicles, and I saw the Scorsese documentary, and those things sent me back.

As far as my dread of rock sax... Ihave to take it back a bit after the Los Lobos show you posted. I will give special dispensation for Steve Berlin, of Los Lobos. He pretty much can't do wrong.
1/29/13 11:51 AM
DasBeaver

Steve Berlin and do whatever he wants, and it will be the right thing.

Dylan will creep back in when my guard is down. It's not like he's hard to see or hear!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.