UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rolfing is some amazing stuff

2/13/13 8:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Letibleu
1713 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a friend who has had bulging disk issues from years of farm work. She now is  on heavy meds for the pain. I  wonder how I can locate someone who can do this in Montreal. Where can I get credible info or whi can I talk to?

2/13/13 9:06 AM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

ttt

2/13/13 9:12 AM
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan - 
Muzalini - 
Joe Rogan -

What's really amazing is how many BJJ guys I've talked to that have bulging discs.  Either that, or herniated ones.

It's really shocking.  I talked to Marcos DaMatta and he has 3 bulging or herniated ones, and Ricardo Liborio who REALLY freaked me out when he said he has 7 of them.  He still rolls, but he's apparently in constant pain because of it.

I have 3 bulging and my facet joints are nearly gone. How long before you saw improvement with the Rolfing? Phone Post

2 weeks in I started feeling much looser and better.  I still haven't started rolling again, it's been months.  I'm going in for DRX9000 spinal decompression next week.  It's supposed to be very effective.  Lots of grapplers swear by it.  I'm taking this thing very seriously, and if I can't heal my back up it might be the end of Jiu Jitsu for me.

give rener a call,his back was thought to be beyond repair.he ended up getting surgery and seems to be 100%

2/13/13 9:28 AM
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Letibleu -

I have a friend who has had bulging disk issues from years of farm work. She now is  on heavy meds for the pain. I  wonder how I can locate someone who can do this in Montreal. Where can I get credible info or whi can I talk to?

http://www.rolfingcanada.org/en/find_a_rolfer.html Phone Post
2/13/13 9:54 AM
Beards
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. Work for shoulders?
2/13/13 10:02 AM
Jason Reinhardt
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Joe. After my neck surgery in 2001, my middle/low back has killed me daily ever since. I presently have 2 bulging discs in my low back. (sciatic pain now) I've tried so many things, you begin to lose hope. I appreciate this. so, thank you for sharing. I hope i can find Rolfing here where i live,(surrounded by cornfields.)
2/13/13 10:05 AM
Jason Reinhardt
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

by the way, i've always wondered why so many jiujitsu /grapplers have bad backs? it seems so commmon. I know one thing..it sure sucks!
2/13/13 10:24 AM
Muzalini
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Giraffix Inc, Graphic Designer
Jason Reinhardt - Thanks Joe. After my neck surgery in 2001, my middle/low back has killed me daily ever since. I presently have 2 bulging discs in my low back. (sciatic pain now) I've tried so many things, you begin to lose hope. I appreciate this. so, thank you for sharing. I hope i can find Rolfing here where i live,(surrounded by cornfields.)
I'm in Iowa thinking the same thing, I see a potential for a Rolfing business here. Phone Post
2/13/13 10:29 AM
Jason Reinhardt

Muzalin. I'm in frikin' Decatur, Illinois! It's very true, don't we seem to be the last to get anything? I will drive to try it.
2/13/13 11:21 AM
Muzalini

Jason Reinhardt - Muzalin. I'm in frikin' Decatur, Illinois! It's very true, don't we seem to be the last to get anything? I will drive to try it.
Yeah you could probably find something in Chicago or north, I may have to try Minneapolis Phone Post
2/13/13 11:32 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Letibleu - 

There is a site of Rolfing practitioners

2/13/13 11:32 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.rolf.org/about

2/13/13 11:53 AM
Muzalini

Hong Kong Phooey -

http://www.rolf.org/about

Cool thanks for the link Phone Post
2/13/13 1:30 PM
BJJER

I spoke with a guy Doctor who is thought to be one of the highest authorities on spine surgery and is a Brown Belt in BJJ to boot about bjj and back problems.

He said that in his opinion one of the major problems causing so many back issues in bjj people is that the sport is very "front concentrate." I asked him to define that and he said that if you take a long look at bjj you will notice that for the most part the front of the body is always closing and contracting. Over time the front of the body gets very short and the back of the body gets overly stretched out or "hyperflexible." That compounded with the fact that many bjj players seem to find a need to do EXTRA crunches and sit ups, in some instances heavyely included in warmups only makes things much much worse.

If you read McGills books such as "Ultimate Back Strength and performance" this will make very much sense. If you think of the back as a wire that only has a certain number of flexeion repetitions in it before it breaks you can see how BJJ will break your back quicker than other sports.

2/13/13 3:54 PM
FatFrenchFry
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJER - I spoke with a guy Doctor who is thought to be one of the highest authorities on spine surgery and is a Brown Belt in BJJ to boot about bjj and back problems.

He said that in his opinion one of the major problems causing so many back issues in bjj people is that the sport is very "front concentrate." I asked him to define that and he said that if you take a long look at bjj you will notice that for the most part the front of the body is always closing and contracting. Over time the front of the body gets very short and the back of the body gets overly stretched out or "hyperflexible." That compounded with the fact that many bjj players seem to find a need to do EXTRA crunches and sit ups, in some instances heavyely included in warmups only makes things much much worse.

If you read McGills books such as "Ultimate Back Strength and performance" this will make very much sense. If you think of the back as a wire that only has a certain number of flexeion repetitions in it before it breaks you can see how BJJ will break your back quicker than other sports.

Apparently flexion movements of the spine under a heavy load causes immense pressure on the discs, causing them to 'bulge' over time.

If you think of the amount of times you've been stacked into a flexed spine position with someone else's weight pressing down, it's little wonder this issue is so prevalent in the jiujitsu community.

Extension work seemed to help me more than anything else. Still debate whether it's worth training once again. Phone Post
2/14/13 2:47 PM
Jason Reinhardt

thanks for all the good advice
2/14/13 2:52 PM
Letibleu
1713 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat - 
Letibleu -

http://www.rolfingcanada.org/en/find_a_rolfer.html Phone Post

thank you!!!!! (I had actually attempted google and came up with euro databases only)

2/14/13 3:22 PM
Bucephalus

Jason Reinhardt - by the way, i've always wondered why so many jiujitsu /grapplers have bad backs? it seems so commmon. I know one thing..it sure sucks!

Yeah.. I wonder why so many tennis players have bad elbows and basketball players have bad knees and typists have bad wrists.. It's so... confusing. lol
2/14/13 11:01 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
Joe Rogan -
Muzalini - 
Joe Rogan -

What's really amazing is how many BJJ guys I've talked to that have bulging discs.  Either that, or herniated ones.

It's really shocking.  I talked to Marcos DaMatta and he has 3 bulging or herniated ones, and Ricardo Liborio who REALLY freaked me out when he said he has 7 of them.  He still rolls, but he's apparently in constant pain because of it.

I have 3 bulging and my facet joints are nearly gone. How long before you saw improvement with the Rolfing? Phone Post

2 weeks in I started feeling much looser and better.  I still haven't started rolling again, it's been months.  I'm going in for DRX9000 spinal decompression next week.  It's supposed to be very effective.  Lots of grapplers swear by it.  I'm taking this thing very seriously, and if I can't heal my back up it might be the end of Jiu Jitsu for me.

That's rough man, hope you heal up soon.

Making an apt with a local Rolfer tmr. Phone Post
2/14/13 11:22 PM
triphelin

You can't fix a mechanical problem like degenerative facets or even disc bulging with this. May as well have someone ROLF all over your face, it will be short lived. Phone Post
2/14/13 11:45 PM
Bucephalus

triphelin -  You can't fix a mechanical problem like degenerative facets or even disc bulging with this. May as well have someone ROLF all over your face, it will be short lived. Phone Post

Rolfing absolutely can help with bulging discs.
2/14/13 11:55 PM
Muzalini

Bucephalus -
triphelin -  You can't fix a mechanical problem like degenerative facets or even disc bulging with this. May as well have someone ROLF all over your face, it will be short lived. Phone Post

What about facets? My discs are bad too but the majority of my pain is in the facets, I've had 2 rounds of numbing shots ( 6 each ) and I was relatively pain free for about 3-4 hours Phone Post
2/15/13 12:05 AM
IsmokeCrack

Sub Phone Post
2/15/13 12:16 AM
Bucephalus

Muzalini - 
Bucephalus -

What about facets? My discs are bad too but the majority of my pain is in the facets, I've had 2 rounds of numbing shots ( 6 each ) and I was relatively pain free for about 3-4 hours Phone Post

The purpose of Rolfing is to structurally align and balance the body/posture by removing hardened fascia (the collagen coating on muscle) that keeps the skeleto-muscular system locked in chronic holding patterns. So even if Rolfing can't help with a specific kind of degeneration, it can open up 'space' in the body so there is less pressure and irritation on the degenerated or inflamed area.

iow, there is usually more than one problem.. the problem of whatever is bulging, swollen, herniated, etc. and the overall problem of the body being out of alignment and constantly impinging on that part. Rolfing focuses mainly on helping your body 'get out of it's own way'.. Many times whatever was the specific problem will clear up once that pressure is relieved.. But even if it doesn't, there is almost always significant reduction in symptoms and pain.

Talk with a Rolfer about your situation.. They are realistic about what they can do.
2/15/13 3:31 PM
Philanderer
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJER - I spoke with a guy Doctor who is thought to be one of the highest authorities on spine surgery and is a Brown Belt in BJJ to boot about bjj and back problems.

Men's Health had an article about how situps and crunches bent the spine in ways that it wasn't meant to go, and that Plancks were safer and hit abs better. It reminded me of Tito on the Nat. Geographic special on MMA, saying that he did 1K situps a day. His back problems are public knowledge.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.