UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rolfing is some amazing stuff

2/15/13 5:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CLINT NJHC
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My girl went to the hospital the other day bc she was frozen due to bulging discs. Going to show this to her later...
2/15/13 6:18 PM
cheesesteak
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I prefer jelqing
2/15/13 7:26 PM
jones182
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

philipee32 - A Ha joe rogan is into rolfing too. That stuff is old already 70's. A good massage therapist aka me, will rape a rolfer any day of the week. Rolfing is like cross between massage therapy and chiropractic theroy except rolfing believes the whole body is stacked nd needs to aligned instead of just the spine and its really deep massage therapy. I think alota rolfers just get lucky and happen to realease the muscle cuz they hit everything, a lot of their work is based on stuff that isn't even possible, like manipulating the spine.
Rape a rolfer? I've heard of happy endings but Jesus Phone Post
3/4/13 11:46 PM
Joe Rogan
1179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So for a bit of an update, I've started DRX9000 spinal decompression.  Today was the first day.

One of the things that's interesting is that I'm becoming aware of muscular imbalances that I have.  For one, the right side of my neck is thicker and stronger than the left.  The doctor was kind of freaked out about it and initially thought there was some kind of an injury, but turns out what it comes from is arm triangles.

The arm triangle is my go to move.  I have quite a few set ups for it, and I've got it down to where I can pull it off at a fairly high percentage rate amongst good people.  I occasionally get them isolating the left arm, but the vast majority I get on the right side.  I use my neck as a lever, and over the course of 16+ years of jiu jitsu the right side of my neck has become strong as fuck from pinning arms to people's faces.

The whole right side of my body is stronger from kick boxing too.  My lats are more developed on that side, and all that imbalance puts pressure on my spine.  I'm going to try to balance that all out with weights and yoga.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the progress I've been making.  I haven't been able to roll in months, but I'm not in pain, and I'm definitely seeing progress.  Plus I'm really excited to be getting the spinal decompression done now as well.

3/5/13 12:01 AM
gusto

Joe Rogan - 

So for a bit of an update, I've started DRX9000 spinal decompression.  Today was the first day.

One of the things that's interesting is that I'm becoming aware of muscular imbalances that I have.  For one, the right side of my neck is thicker and stronger than the left.  The doctor was kind of freaked out about it and initially thought there was some kind of an injury, but turns out what it comes from is arm triangles.

The arm triangle is my go to move.  I have quite a few set ups for it, and I've got it down to where I can pull it off at a fairly high percentage rate amongst good people.  I occasionally get them isolating the left arm, but the vast majority I get on the right side.  I use my neck as a lever, and over the course of 16+ years of jiu jitsu the right side of my neck has become strong as fuck from pinning arms to people's faces.

The whole right side of my body is stronger from kick boxing too.  My lats are more developed on that side, and all that imbalance puts pressure on my spine.  I'm going to try to balance that all out with weights and yoga.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the progress I've been making.  I haven't been able to roll in months, but I'm not in pain, and I'm definitely seeing progress.  Plus I'm really excited to be getting the spinal decompression done now as well.

Joe,

I never watch your podcasts, i only listen. Do you sit during the whole thing? i found standing at my desk to relieve a lot of back issues. not cure, but i dont get as tight

3/5/13 12:09 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan - 

I wonder if we'll start to see this with mixed martial artists when they retire.  These guys are doing kickboxing and BJJ every day, have you spoken to any ex-fighter about muscular imbalances and the resulting pain?

Regardless, good luck on your recovery.

3/5/13 12:17 AM
Jons Forsberg

moral of the story is bjj is bad for the body, most martial arts are in fact. Wanna stay healthy, do yoga.
3/5/13 12:24 AM
John Clarke
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
3/5/13 12:27 AM
Rip0ste
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan -

I'm so sorry to hear you've got bulged discs, Joe...same I injury took me out I Jiu Jitsu...I miss it, but not the daily pain, and inability to sit, sleep etc...

I'm interested to hear that your Rolfing and decompression is helping...have you heard of or looked into the Regenexx procedure? Kind of like platelet rich prolotherapy with stem cells - helps rebuild the disc wall and restore height and strength. Phone Post
3/5/13 4:48 AM
Joe Rogan
1179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rip0ste - 
Joe Rogan -

I'm so sorry to hear you've got bulged discs, Joe...same I injury took me out I Jiu Jitsu...I miss it, but not the daily pain, and inability to sit, sleep etc...

I'm interested to hear that your Rolfing and decompression is helping...have you heard of or looked into the Regenexx procedure? Kind of like platelet rich prolotherapy with stem cells - helps rebuild the disc wall and restore height and strength. Phone Post

That's actually the first time I've ever heard of regenexx and bulging discs.  I'm going to look into it now.

Thank you!

3/5/13 6:46 AM
Megatherium
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hurt myself badly in a rolfing mishap with my girlfriend at a commune in Nelson BC back in the seventies. Left me terribly unbalanced.

Got me a medical marijuana card out of the deal though, so things do even out over the long haul eh.
3/5/13 4:27 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
Joe Rogan - 

isn't that a trip...

keep us posted Joe, never tried decompression before.

3/6/13 2:57 PM
Rip0ste
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're welcomeJjoe! Please let me know what you find out! I think there's a good Regenexx place/doctor in the LA area... Phone Post
3/6/13 3:33 PM
Joe Rogan

octowussy - Decompression, statistically, does not work. It's existed for a long time, only chiropractors have started giving it fancy names and charging and arm and a leg for it. It also won't cure any imbalances.

The actual effect of muscular and structural imbalances is a hot topic in the medical community. The science says that they don't matter, though I don't know how I feel about that. Structualism, as a whole, doesn't have a fantastic reputation with the scientific community, but I think there's something there. I do believe that poor posture and even imbalances (to a degree) can contribute to muscle tension, which I believe is the antagonist in most chronic pain. But a lot of things can contribute to muscle tension, including stress (see John Sarno's materials).

So it becomes a quest to discover the cause of your muscle tension and then remove it. That includes dealing with any sort of trigger points that may be caused by your muscle tension. I know I have a huge cluster of them in my shoulders that I use a tennis ball to remove before they reappear in a couple of days (as I'm still working on removing muscle tension).

Personally, I think it would be far more advantageous (as well as cost effective) for someone experiencing chronic pain to investigate causes of muscle tension other than the oft cited vertebral discs, etc. Look at stressors, postural (sitting, standing, etc) deficiencies. Etc. If you believe stress could be a factor, pick up a book by Dr. John Sarno and look into relaxation and meditation techniques. If you think that maybe your posture sucks (and most people don't realize it, but their posture DOES suck -- pulling your shoulders back is a terrible practice as that can cause enormous amounts of muscle tension), look into the Alexander Technique. Saveyourself.ca offers up some tremendous ebooks about trigger points.

As for Rolfing, the whole practice is based on the idea that you can manipulate and/or RELEASE fascia, but it's incredibly tough, durable tissue. To quote saveyourself.ca, if the stuff were any tougher, we'd be bulletproof.

The issue in the past with decompression is that the muscles around the spine contract to protect it.  The way they do it now with computerized machies is the machine pulls in pulses so that the muscles don't contract to protect it. Lots of people have had positive results with it.

3/6/13 4:04 PM
G-Hands
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

best of luck with this therapy, Joe. Thx for sharing the info here.
3/6/13 4:13 PM
RollHighAllDay
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan! I'll see ya in Vancouver may 10th. Row 9 you silly bitch. Phone Post
3/6/13 5:03 PM
Bucephalus

Joe.. good insight on strengthening the other side of your body.

Also Interesting related fact.. if you practice skills on your subordinate side (usually the left for most people), the skill will translate to the dominant side (usually the right for most people). But if you train the technique on your dominant side, it won't naturally translate to the subordinate side. My point? Always train techniques a lot more on your weak side because it not only improves your weak side, it improve both sides.
3/6/13 5:18 PM
Letibleu
1716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bucephalus - Joe.. good insight on strengthening the other side of your body.

Also Interesting related fact.. if you practice skills on your subordinate side (usually the left for most people), the skill will translate to the dominant side (usually the right for most people). But if you train the technique on your dominant side, it won't naturally translate to the subordinate side. My point? Always train techniques a lot more on your weak side because it not only improves your weak side, it improve both sides.

Applies to playing instruments like piano too.

3/6/13 5:28 PM
hubris
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

glad to see decompression working for you Joe
3/12/13 11:49 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
1132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bumpp for MM

3/12/13 12:02 PM
MountainMedic
727 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Phooey! Phone Post
3/12/13 12:32 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
3/12/13 12:47 PM
Cojendo
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
3/12/13 2:35 PM
Jason Reinhardt
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After driving hours to find Rolfing (thanks to Rogan), I am getting positive results. i will continue as i am determined to make a comeback.
3/12/13 2:40 PM
Philanderer
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure if this has been covered, but has anyone done a LOT of hanging from a pullup bar? Or Inversion (hanging upside down, with feet in boots) A PTA told me that it was a mild form of decompression

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.