UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Zuffa steps up big time for Eddie Alvarez

1/20/13 3:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Team GDP
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC owners Zuffa LLC has bolstered its efforts to sign free agent Eddie Alvarez with an offer to fight at UFC 159: Jones vs. Sonnen on April 28 in Newark, N.J., according to a Jan. 10 letter included in a counterclaim Alvarez filed this week in United States District Court. The two parties are set to face Judge Jose Linares for the first time on Friday, Jan. 25, where Alvarez hopes to obtain an injunction against Bellator so he can accept the UFC's offer.

In addition, Zuffa currently has a standing offer to Alvarez for a bout at UFC 159 in late April, but has altered its original contract offer to include the pay-per-view revenue perk (in addition to the negotiated $75,000 show and $75, 000 win purses), despite it not being a title fight. According to Alvarez's UFC offer, included in Bellator's complaint, the fighter stands to make an additional $1.00 for every buy between 200,000-400,000 units, $2.00 for each buy sold between 400,000- 600,000 units and $2.50 for each buy sold over 600,000 units. However, Zuffa contends it must have Alvarez's unfettered commitment by Jan. 27 to get the full 90 days it says it needs to properly promote the bout.

This letter has done two things. It has set a time expiration in which Alvarez's litigators can plead on Friday that a prudent decision is needed as to not impede on Alvarez's immediate ability to make a living. It has also raised the monetary stakes quite significantly from a five-figure to potential seven-figure payday for the father of three.

Alvarez's lawyers can also feasibly argue that this specific pay-per-view, which will be headlined by an incredibly controversial and well publicized title bout between UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, has favorable potential to generate buys toward the higher end of that pay-per-view revenue spectrum. These are figures that Bellator, which has yet to promote a pay-per-event, could have to prove it can match as early as Friday's hearing.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mma/news/20130120/eddie-alvarez-counterclaim-against-bellator/#ixzz2IV7TGTjU

1/20/13 3:11 AM
slugshot331
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really hope he can get this settled.  As a fan of his and someone who lives close to where he trains, it would be awesome to see him fight live in at 159.

1/20/13 3:12 AM
Porkchop
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck to them. I think we'd all like to see Eddie in the UFC.
1/20/13 3:13 AM
smth416
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice. Hope they get him. Phone Post
1/20/13 4:38 AM
CindyO

Yep! I guess Zuffa was just getting started:)

Cindy

1/20/13 4:41 AM
UGCTT_mousetrap
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good to hear! Phone Post
1/20/13 4:45 AM
pennviachoke
1082 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Eddie is fighting in the UFC for sure then it sounds like...AWESOME!!! Phone Post
1/20/13 4:52 AM
Matt Phillips
776 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent!

1/20/13 4:53 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly didn't expect them to make such a big push for him, good on 'em.
1/20/13 4:54 AM
Sudo21
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's more to show Bellator who's the boss than to step up for Eddie Alvarez, but who cares. I wan't to see Alvarez in UFC.
1/20/13 4:54 AM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus Christ, Zuffa just went hard.

1/20/13 4:55 AM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sudo21 - I think it's more to show Bellator who's the boss than to step up for Eddie Alvarez, but who cares. I wan't to see Alvarez in UFC.

^This.

They're proving a point that if they want a fighter, they're going to get them, period.

1/20/13 4:58 AM
MediumRareMistake
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good I want to see Eddie in the octagon finally Phone Post
1/20/13 5:31 AM
Shakwon
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope it all gets settled and we see Eddie in the UFC Phone Post
1/20/13 5:34 AM
CindyO

Yep!

Cindy

1/20/13 6:47 AM
FlyingSubsOnly

Couldn't Bellator use the same argument with these new terms as they've been using with the old contract? It's still all "hypothetical earnings". Knowing Bjorn he'll make the argument both men in the main event could get hurt, as well as the co-main, which will leave Eddie with a chance of getting less than 200k ppv buys. Let me state that I support Eddie, but a judge will look at the contract terms black and white, which doesn't seem like it favors the UFC/Eddie :(
1/20/13 1:33 PM
Team GDP
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

1/20/13 1:35 PM
TuLegit

That's a lot of casheesh Phone Post
1/20/13 1:36 PM
orcus

TheMentalisT - "Alvarez's lawyers can also feasibly argue that this specific pay-per-view, which will be headlined by an incredibly controversial and well publicized title bout between UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, has favorable potential to generate buys toward the higher end of that pay-per-view revenue spectrum. These are figures that Bellator, which has yet to promote a pay-per-event, could have to prove it can match as early as Friday's hearing"

BAM. Where is that fuckin troll, Goku? I been telling that idiot this would be the deciding factor for days.

I have to give ZUFFA props, they are really trying for Eddie.

It's not the "deciding factor" unless a judge agrees.

1/20/13 1:39 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

TheMentalisT - "Alvarez's lawyers can also feasibly argue that this specific pay-per-view, which will be headlined by an incredibly controversial and well publicized title bout between UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, has favorable potential to generate buys toward the higher end of that pay-per-view revenue spectrum. These are figures that Bellator, which has yet to promote a pay-per-event, could have to prove it can match as early as Friday's hearing"

BAM. Where is that fuckin troll, Goku? I been telling that idiot this would be the deciding factor for days.

bam what tard? it sounds like they have CHANGED their original offer so they are GUARANTEEING a ppv..the previous offer did NOT guarantee a ppv...

and im not so sure they can even change their offer because by the terms of bellators contract, he had to offer bellator whatever initial offer he got from zuffa...

sounds like zuffa is trying to do an end around by claiming that the bout agreement supplements the original contract, but do bout agreements typically include financial terms like this?

1/20/13 1:40 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

orcus - 

It's not the "deciding factor" unless a judge agrees.

this as well...

1/20/13 1:41 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like Bellator getting a mill on spike has got them thinking
1/20/13 1:44 PM
i remember halloween

I think UFC 159 does easily over 1,000,000 buys.  This would be an enormous payday for Eddie.  I hope Bjorn doesn't screw him.

1/20/13 1:45 PM
cyberc92
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That would mean Eddie would be fighting someone like Jim Miller on that card. Eddie would have a shit on of the Philly boys show up and Miller will bring in his Jersey area fans.
1/20/13 1:59 PM
wasssp

Sike! Eddie (and OP)has the game twisted. Instead of taking Bellator to court and arguing that matching offers don't match, he should have just let zuffa continue upping the offers. Or change all the contingency incentives to guarantees.
Team Alvarez doesn't understand that zuffa's blowing smoke up their butts. Just ask Rampage.
He needs to understand that Zuffa can make concrete offers that Bellator cannot match. If Bellator can even pretend to match their offer, it's too low. Zuffa can make more off Eddie than Bellator can, so they can offer a lot more 75 plus 75.
Seems like everyone is afraid to acknowledge that Zuffas run by Mafia git who think it's cool to pimp fighters the way the mob did black musicians pre-1975.

Eddie

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.