UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator coverage in the UG Blog

1/20/13 10:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kirik
1782 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/13 10:57 AM
The UnderGround, Mayor

There was some criticism of the UG Blog over the past days about Bellator coverage in the UG Blog, as compared to coverage of Invicta and the UFC. I wanted to post some story views for January, so you can see what I see.

Note please that the Bellator event was not hidden, it was stickied, and heroed.

Dana White: 'Nick Diaz does not return my calls or texts'     123445
Complete UFC on FX 7 results     60204 (will add another 10k-30k views over next day or two)
Lauzon charts healing progress on the UG     59308
Complete results for Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine     58056
REPLAY: Invicta FC 4 results: Esparza takes debut Strawweight title over Hyatt     46228
Melendez happy to call UFC his home     46001 
White has ear removed, reattached to treat Meniere's disease     42247
Mike Goldberg internet rumors are false     37805 
Pat Barry's frenzied cornering of Rose Namajunas     37087  
Lebell: Rousey is a 'sadistic wench'     36098   
Invicta 4 weigh in results and gallery     35669    
UFC unveils full list of Strikeforce fighters moving over     34618    
Saffiedine upsets Marquardt, wins Strikeforce welterweight title     34565    
Invicta afterparty looks like fun     34029  
Boxer Fury: UFC champion Velasquez a 'midget on steroids'     33775 
Complete Bellator 85 results     33738    
UFC on FX 7 weigh in results and video replay     33599   

In sum, the UG cared less about Bellator results than it did about the Invicta after party, about Invicta weigh ins, about Pat Barry cornering Rose at Invicta, and of course about Invicta results.

The UG cared more about Dana's medical issue and Dana and Diaz not texting each other and JLau recovering and Mike Goldberg and Gene LeBell calling Ronda Rousey sadistic. The UG cared more about the Strikeforce Finale, and from the TV results, nobody cared about Strikeforce. The UFC on FX weigh ins are going to get more views that did Bellator.

So in deciding how much push to give something, those are the numbers that drive me.

There are topics that we promote regardless of views, most notably regulation of the sport. But I feel no compulsion to cover other shows besides the UFC out of some sense of "fairness" or whatever the thinking is among the critics.

The UG Blog does not cover what I am interested in, it covers what you are interested in. I hope the numbers cleared up misconceptions held by some of you.

To quote from my grandfather's favorite cartoon, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

My grandfather's name was Dick Cox.

Heh.

1/20/13 10:55 AM
fightsfan
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good perspective ttt
1/20/13 11:01 AM
jasonhightower
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ "White has ear removed, reattached..." placing in top 10. Phone Post
1/20/13 11:51 AM
Dirk Bevlin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see the most popular promotion in the world vs a promotion featuring popular attractive female fighters vs a promotion that receives very little coverage. The numbers make just as much sense when looked at from that perspective, don't they? Phone Post
1/20/13 11:54 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

where is the fuel post on the behind the scenes thread that was stickied?

1/20/13 11:56 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

found it...

UFC Unrestricted - How A UFC Event Happens
(140) [8750] by FUEL TV - 1 2 3 4 LP
The Most UFC On TV, fuel.tv/getfueltv

1/20/13 11:58 AM
Kirik
1782 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/13 12:23 PM
The UnderGround, Mayor
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - 

where is the fuel post on the behind the scenes thread that was stickied?

Didn't make news I don't think? 140 replies is v good.

1/20/13 12:05 PM
vaginal tear
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Imagine the hits you'd get if Dana co promoted a women's bikini MMA event w Nick Diaz. Rousey would headline with whomever the UG chooses. There would have to be tryouts of course and pics posted in the UG. Maybe some video blogs too.

After the event Dana calls bones jones a fake and rousey fails the drug test.

All that = UG explosion. Phone Post
1/20/13 12:17 PM
bearockbrobama
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LONG LIVE DICK COX!

There was once a NASCAR driver named Dick Trickle Phone Post
1/20/13 12:17 PM
dannyapodaca
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was your grandmas name Anita? Phone Post
1/20/13 12:18 PM
rnunz
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you're saying you don't promote bellator as much because you don't get as many hits on the homepage but you would if they had flashier headlines, hotter women and if Dana white was involved? Phone Post
1/20/13 12:18 PM
Topsyjt
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very good and interesting insight. Thank u sir. Phone Post
1/20/13 12:20 PM
rnunz
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rnunz - So you're saying you don't promote bellator as much because you don't get as many hits on the homepage but you would if they had flashier headlines, hotter women and if Dana white was involved? Phone Post
Or are you saying we don't click the stories you post about bellator? Phone Post
1/20/13 12:22 PM
FoxNewb11

My grampa told me about a site that used to cover MMA before it was MMA. When nobody was watching. A beacon in a sea of media darkness. Then the page counters came, click, click, click. And it all changed. Was that Here?
1/20/13 12:23 PM
Dogman

vaginal tear -  Imagine the hits you'd get if Dana co promoted a women's bikini MMA event w Nick Diaz. Rousey would headline with whomever the UG chooses. There would have to be tryouts of course and pics posted in the UG. Maybe some video blogs too.

After the event Dana calls bones jones a fake and rousey fails the drug test.

All that = UG explosion. Phone Post

That would take top billing, and over shadow any coverage of a event.lol
1/20/13 12:27 PM
bearockbrobama
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rnunz -
rnunz - So you're saying you don't promote bellator as much because you don't get as many hits on the homepage but you would if they had flashier headlines, hotter women and if Dana white was involved? Phone Post
Or are you saying we don't click the stories you post about bellator? Phone Post
Both Phone Post
1/20/13 12:31 PM
jacobdoerr
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirk, why can't I start threads anymore? The site won't let me. Was it something I did? Something I said? I have a really big heart and you are hurting my feelings. JAKE
1/20/13 12:39 PM
Alumynabjj

whadafykumeanitstaken - UG blog makes no effort to promote Bellator outside of their events, weivhins, and Eddie Alvarez situation(which is just as much a UFC thing)

UG blog is constantly making threads and news stories on Invicts. UG blog contantly makes threads on the UFC. UG Blog keeps folks informed on those two promotions. They do NOT provide the same info on Bellator.

Makes perfect sense UG blog posts get less hits for Bellator. You are constantly pumping UFC and Invicta info.

Pretty much this. Invitica has been promoted here non-stop, their fighters are getting prime coverage. Not hard to believe to they get the more hits than something that is not being driven by this site.
1/20/13 12:41 PM
Vulva Fabulous
806 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jacobdoerr - Kirk, why can't I start threads anymore? The site won't let me. Was it something I did? Something I said? I have a really big heart and you are hurting my feelings. JAKE
Make a thread and we'll sticky it to find out the answer for you. This thread isn't the appropriate thread for your question :)

Jk, Your best bet is to email/pm Jason. Most likely a glitch. It happened to me before, he'll be on it like a UGer all over a Rousey tweet. Phone Post
1/20/13 12:53 PM
PrettyBoy
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So let me get this straight since there are no lead in news stories for Bellator like there are with Invitica and UFC. People have to create a ton of there own threads and usually only one gets sticky well after the fact and you wonder why there is less hits per thread?

Bellator did 1 million views. Nobody outside of this small bubble has any clue what Invitica is and of course they have never validated any numbers.

Let's keep it real, you promote Zuffa backed promotions because they support the site. Quit trying to pretend that Invitica is even on the level of World Series of fighting or any TV promotion for that matter. Next time give Bellator 8 lead in news threads and a bunch of stickys like you do for the Zuffa promotions and watch what happens. Your news creates discussion points. Phone Post
1/20/13 12:57 PM
TeamRenzo4Life

Kirik - 

There was some criticism of the UG Blog over the past days about Bellator coverage in the UG Blog, as compared to coverage of Invicta and the UFC. I wanted to post some story views for January, so you can see what I see.

Note please that the Bellator event was not hidden, it was stickied, and heroed.

Dana White: 'Nick Diaz does not return my calls or texts'     123445
Complete UFC on FX 7 results     60204 (will add another 10k-30k views over next day or two)
Lauzon charts healing progress on the UG     59308
Complete results for Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine     58056
REPLAY: Invicta FC 4 results: Esparza takes debut Strawweight title over Hyatt     46228
Melendez happy to call UFC his home     46001 
White has ear removed, reattached to treat Meniere's disease     42247
Mike Goldberg internet rumors are false     37805 
Pat Barry's frenzied cornering of Rose Namajunas     37087  
Lebell: Rousey is a 'sadistic wench'     36098   
Invicta 4 weigh in results and gallery     35669    
UFC unveils full list of Strikeforce fighters moving over     34618    
Saffiedine upsets Marquardt, wins Strikeforce welterweight title     34565    
Invicta afterparty looks like fun     34029  
Boxer Fury: UFC champion Velasquez a 'midget on steroids'     33775 
Complete Bellator 85 results     33738    
UFC on FX 7 weigh in results and video replay     33599   

In sum, the UG cared less about Bellator results than it did about the Invicta after party, about Invicta weigh ins, about Pat Barry cornering Rose at Invicta, and of course about Invicta results.

The UG cared more about Dana's medical issue and Dana and Diaz not texting each other and JLau recovering and Mike Goldberg and Gene LeBell calling Ronda Rousey sadistic. The UG cared more about the Strikeforce Finale, and from the TV results, nobody cared about Strikeforce. The UFC on FX weigh ins are going to get more views that did Bellator.

So in deciding how much push to give something, those are the numbers that drive me.

There are topics that we promote regardless of views, most notably regulation of the sport. But I feel no compulsion to cover other shows besides the UFC out of some sense of "fairness" or whatever the thinking is among the critics.

The UG Blog does not cover what I am interested in, it covers what you are interested in. I hope the numbers cleared up misconceptions held by some of you.

To quote from my grandfather's favorite cartoon, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

My grandfather's name was Dick Cox.

Heh.

How can people begin to care about MMA news that isn't featured prominantly on the UG Blog? In a time where there are more noobs or "foobs" than in recent memory, it's I believe MMA.TV has a responsibility to promote not just the most popular brand but the sport in general.
Hell my cab driver still asks me if I enjoyed "The Ultimate Wrestling", believes whole-heartedly it's all fixed and then asked me if there were any "midgets" because he used to love to watch the midgets.
For real.
When a supposed sport is indistinguishable from the most popular brand, IMO it does not bode well for the sport.
1/20/13 9:48 PM
PrettyBoy
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last nights UFC thread is still a sticky.

Bellator got a sticky that ended right after the event. How can you compare a 4-6 hr sticky to 30-48hr Sticky?

Even Dana's road to the Octagon thread became a sticky.

It's nonsense. You act like there is a limited number of threads you cab make so UFC and lol Invitica must have them over Bellatir/WSOF/MFC/RFA etc...

Which isn't true. Take it back to the sub fighter days. Give then all news feed/Stickys.

More content doesn't hurt anything. Phone Post
1/20/13 10:57 PM
UltimatePower
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This made me realize most MMA news is like TMZ tabloids about fighter drama.
1/20/13 11:05 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People who actually watch Bellator, 1.1 million

Bellator gets sandbagged and only gets 1 thread for the night of the fights, others already said it better

Anyway, do what you do, Chris already said what it was all about "We take care of who takes care of us"
1/20/13 11:14 PM
brianlg

Edited: 01/20/13 11:16 PM
<br />Well, this is "mixedmartialarts".com not zuffa.com. Cover all promotions/news related to MMA. Waah, and a big teary eyed :'( to them not getting as many views. Help them out, spread the word, get people interested. Why elaborate on the reason for not blogging them, when you could disregard numbers and share anyways for the love of the sport. Not everything is a popularity contest.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.