UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator coverage in the UG Blog

1/21/13 11:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe_Drogan420
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
JeffersonDArcyChoke -  Ring of Honor pro wrestling is an internet fan's delight while TNA garners hatred from those same fans.

However ROH draws 300 fans, makes no money, has an awful distribution deal.

TNA is on Spike, draws 1.6 million viewers a week and has Hulk Hogan and Sting.

If this were a pro wrestling place, it would be ROH getting coverage and TNA treated like Elite XC. Phone Post

I don't follow, but want to.

If there was an MMA show getting 300 asses in seats, with a bad distribution deal, making no money, it will get a lot of attention from the hardcore fan base?

Invicta is the little 300 show in the analogy and TNA is Bellator.

Invicta, aka little 300 show, gets all the attention from the pro wrestling forum moderators/owners while TNA is ignored.

Make sense now?
1/21/13 11:20 AM
mmavixen
1112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/21/13 11:30 AM

I'm still confused.  If you're an MMA fan, you don't care about Bellator, even though the fighters are amazing and the fights are, too?

I undersanad it's not the UG Blog's fault or Kirik's, I just hope that the tide slowly changes and UG'ers become more interested in actual MMA fights then MMA gossip.  (I can be guilty of that as well, though...)

1/21/13 11:29 AM
UltimatePower
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You earn a title shot -- no bullshit of coming off a loss or politicking.

Tournaments.

All fights are free.

Bjorn Rebney is a classy and respectful ambassador for the sport.

WMMA

Their stable of Russian fighters taking over (Volkov, Koreshkov, Schlemenko, Shamalaev) is a unique influx of talent that the UFC doesn't really do.

Fights are awesome.

With Spike will come more interest, more cicking on stories, etc. Whether or not the UG has an agenda against Bellator is not for me to say, but...

This problem will fix itself.
1/21/13 12:00 PM
Kirik
1597 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
Joe_Drogan420 - 
Kirik - 
JeffersonDArcyChoke -  Ring of Honor pro wrestling is an internet fan's delight while TNA garners hatred from those same fans.

However ROH draws 300 fans, makes no money, has an awful distribution deal.

TNA is on Spike, draws 1.6 million viewers a week and has Hulk Hogan and Sting.

If this were a pro wrestling place, it would be ROH getting coverage and TNA treated like Elite XC. Phone Post

I don't follow, but want to.

If there was an MMA show getting 300 asses in seats, with a bad distribution deal, making no money, it will get a lot of attention from the hardcore fan base?

Invicta is the little 300 show in the analogy and TNA is Bellator.

Invicta, aka little 300 show, gets all the attention from the pro wrestling forum moderators/owners while TNA is ignored.

Make sense now?

Yah, thank you, appreciate it man.

1/21/13 12:22 PM
show no mercy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

are you guys blaming the UG for bellator not getting enough views? try blaming bellator.

im CERTAIN that if kirik would sticky show on thursday, bellator would have 5 million views!!!

then maybe the lone paid poster bellator can afford will be quiet. right liquidrob?
1/21/13 12:26 PM
shaqitup
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasn't the bellator thread stickied for about 7 minutes?

1/21/13 1:56 PM
PrettyBoy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't care how you try to spin it. Nobody outside of the UG could knows Invitica exists as a promotion or could name or recognize even one of their fighters. The only reason some people on the UG can is because the UG runs news on them constantly.

Lombard and Alvarez were not bombarded on the UG news until they were in deals with UFC.

Bellator has a stable of top fighters. World Series of Fighting is getting stacked. MFC Middleweights are stacked, RFA is getting stacked in the lighter weights.

If there wasn't an agenda an money wasn't pulling strings Invitica would never make the UG radar. Either go full TMZ or become a full on provider for news for ALL MMA. But don't selectively support Zuffa promotions and only run a few negative stories on the others. Don't be the Zuffa filter. Phone Post
1/21/13 2:27 PM
MMAAdvertising
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ingrained Media, Sr. VP

Good post Kirik. 

1/21/13 3:02 PM
shorebreaker420
1008 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like everybody cares about Werdums 100 dollar gloves for charity, not Phone Post
1/21/13 3:46 PM
Tank by gogoplata
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think numbers speak for themselves.

We as a community on this website enjoy hot women; it is a proven fact in almost EVERY OG thread. We also enjoy MMA, considering the fact that we're even on this website. The fact that Invicta garners a lot of attention on here does not surprise me at all because who doesn't want to see hot women competing in the sport we love?

As far as Bellator goes, I was a HUGE Bellator supporter back before they were even on MTV2. I can count the number of events I have missed. However, the casual fan(like my friends I tried to get to watch with me)don't have an interest in Bellator because they just want to watch names, not young up and coming talent. Add in the fact that many people are upset with Bellator's handling of the Eddie situation and I believe that would explain why Invicta is pulling more attention on this website than Bellator.
1/21/13 3:49 PM
Neil Funk

Why was Dana's mom's book deleted as a topic? I'm guessing Dana doesn't want it around, so you guys delete it?

1/21/13 5:19 PM
Alumynabjj

Krs10KO.com - 
liquidrob - Don't be late on the train Bellator Kirik, Bellator is going to keep getting a million people a week, actually viewers

All abroad! Choooooooo chooooooo

This Thursday night on spike

Ben Askren vs Psycho
King Mo
The UGs own Ben 'Killa B" Saunders
Lima

And dont forget Brent Weedman, he's a UGer too!  Well, he admits more of a lurker though. 

Oh he lurks often. When some dude here posted my real name in a subject line Brent texted me to let me know. I wish he would post here more as it seems like an easy way to get a following and I think he would actually enjoy it.
1/21/13 5:25 PM
Don_Dada
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - Don't be late on the train Bellator Kirik, Bellator is going to keep getting a million people a week, actually viewers

All abroad! Choooooooo chooooooo

This Thursday night on spike

Ben Askren vs Psycho
King Mo
The UGs own Ben 'Killa B" Saunders
Lima

My man! keep fighting the good fight.
1/21/13 9:45 PM
xakx

ttt
1/21/13 10:08 PM
D241

Ha!! Voted OP up on his last 3 lines alone

1/21/13 11:05 PM
BushidoAristotle
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/21/13 11:11 PM
One must also consider that promotions like Invicta have one event every three months or so, thus making each event more significant. Each event is an event in itself ala UFC back in the day, and Pride.

Bellator has an event every week during their season, therefore each individual event is not going to be as significant. The fights are spread out, and it's more about the entire season, than just the one event.

So in a sense, it's not fair to compare one Invicta event (which also garners a lot of attention from horny UGers) to a Bellator event. I'm sure if Bellator was having one card every three months, said card would be stacked, and the thread views would be higher than that of Invicta.

It's not a fair comparison.
1/22/13 2:47 AM
D241

excellent point^^^^^

1/22/13 9:03 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thursday night
1/23/13 4:11 PM
TeamRenzo4Life

can i post yet?
1/23/13 4:11 PM
TeamRenzo4Life

yay
1/23/13 5:39 PM
Haulport

Kirik - 

There was some criticism of the UG Blog over the past days about Bellator coverage in the UG Blog, as compared to coverage of Invicta and the UFC. I wanted to post some story views for January, so you can see what I see.

Note please that the Bellator event was not hidden, it was stickied, and heroed.

Dana White: 'Nick Diaz does not return my calls or texts'     123445
Complete UFC on FX 7 results     60204 (will add another 10k-30k views over next day or two)
Lauzon charts healing progress on the UG     59308
Complete results for Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine     58056
REPLAY: Invicta FC 4 results: Esparza takes debut Strawweight title over Hyatt     46228
Melendez happy to call UFC his home     46001 
White has ear removed, reattached to treat Meniere's disease     42247
Mike Goldberg internet rumors are false     37805 
Pat Barry's frenzied cornering of Rose Namajunas     37087  
Lebell: Rousey is a 'sadistic wench'     36098   
Invicta 4 weigh in results and gallery     35669    
UFC unveils full list of Strikeforce fighters moving over     34618    
Saffiedine upsets Marquardt, wins Strikeforce welterweight title     34565    
Invicta afterparty looks like fun     34029  
Boxer Fury: UFC champion Velasquez a 'midget on steroids'     33775 
Complete Bellator 85 results     33738    
UFC on FX 7 weigh in results and video replay     33599   

In sum, the UG cared less about Bellator results than it did about the Invicta after party, about Invicta weigh ins, about Pat Barry cornering Rose at Invicta, and of course about Invicta results.

The UG cared more about Dana's medical issue and Dana and Diaz not texting each other and JLau recovering and Mike Goldberg and Gene LeBell calling Ronda Rousey sadistic. The UG cared more about the Strikeforce Finale, and from the TV results, nobody cared about Strikeforce. The UFC on FX weigh ins are going to get more views that did Bellator.

So in deciding how much push to give something, those are the numbers that drive me.

There are topics that we promote regardless of views, most notably regulation of the sport. But I feel no compulsion to cover other shows besides the UFC out of some sense of "fairness" or whatever the thinking is among the critics.

The UG Blog does not cover what I am interested in, it covers what you are interested in. I hope the numbers cleared up misconceptions held by some of you.

To quote from my grandfather's favorite cartoon, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

My grandfather's name was Dick Cox.

Heh.

Uniques - How do they work?

Those are all page views. I personally can generate 100,000 pageviews in a day. Does that mean it's a good metric to judge interest by? No. It is possibly the worst metric to use for that. Now, Kirik, you may care more about pvs because that equals impressions for you to sell to your advertisers but let us not confuse these issues.

If you want to indicate who has the most interest level then please list the threads with the number of deduped, Unique Users who hit those pages.

That's REAL Business Intelligence...

1/23/13 8:06 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/23/13 9:27 PM
UltimatePower
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait for another free title fight on television tomorrow.

TTT for Bellator tomorrow.
1/23/13 9:40 PM
PrettyBoy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UltimatePower - Can't wait for another free title fight on television tomorrow.

TTT for Bellator tomorrow.
I wonder if they had any weigh-ins? I didn't hear of any. Phone Post
1/23/13 9:45 PM
DanteHec
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - People who actually watch Bellator, 1.1 million

Bellator gets sandbagged and only gets 1 thread for the night of the fights, others already said it better

Anyway, do what you do, Chris already said what it was all about "We take care of who takes care of us"
Disappointing Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.