UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What traditional techniques do you believe can be

1/20/13 1:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cyberc92
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

more widely used in mma?

I remmeber 10 years ago people on this forum were discussing if spinning back kicks are effective. Now that the athletic ability of fighters has increased it is used as a common technique.
1/20/13 1:33 PM
aka_rtotheoh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think the uppercut is under used. Phone Post
1/20/13 1:36 PM
in_different
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

leg kicks. there seem to be only a few that really know how to use them. most fighters just go through the motions.

i think fighters could be better at utilizing snap downs and front chokes too
1/20/13 3:29 PM
N9K
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

side kicks
1/20/13 3:42 PM
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While there's a few definite standouts/exceptions, there is still not a lot of clinch fighting going on(muay Thai style). Yet nearly every fighter trains in Muay Thai or a kickboxing variant that uses the same clinch methods. Phone Post
1/20/13 3:50 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aka_rtotheoh -  i think the uppercut is under used. Phone Post

1/20/13 3:53 PM
Jesus Quintana

sidekick

A lot of TMA takedowns, sweeps and kick catches that are used in San Da
1/20/13 3:55 PM
Koku_Ryuu

Elbows in free space...i.e...not just against the cage and during ground exchanges.

1/20/13 3:59 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Armbars, chokes, triangles, punches, kicks, double legs, throws are all traditional.
1/20/13 4:00 PM
6ULDV8
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The double Mongolian chop.

1/20/13 4:00 PM
Frankie Emelianenko

Ive always wondered if ip man's wing chun punches were effective Phone Post
1/20/13 4:01 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cyberc92 - more widely used in mma?

I remmeber 10 years ago people on this forum were discussing if spinning back kicks are effective. Now that the athletic ability of fighters has increased it is used as a common technique.

Also, its not really the athletic ability but the overall seaonsoned nature of the game and fighter that enables them to pull it off.

If you know that you can take care of yourself on the ground, and understand the ranging and stuff, you can throw spinning kicks. Note that even the top karate/kickboxing guys will not always pull them off in comp. I think those can be used though to keep you opponent guessing and off balance.
1/20/13 4:04 PM
Happiness Bunny
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rule_Abiding_Poster - i think palm strikes if done properly and practiced enough, if they land on the ears or other parts of the head in tight spaces it could shock the opponnent and really throw them off.

I agree that they can be super effective. Can't remember what recent fight it was in onefc (I think) that someone used a few sick uppercut palm strikes in the clinch, it set up a tko.

But the sad thing is that they won't be used in north american mma due to the fact of fighters "Playing the game" and either using them to get a sneaky eye poke or the person on the receiving end of a clean shot will say they got poked in the eye like a drama queen. Many refs warn against using palm strikes due to eye pokes.
1/20/13 4:13 PM
John Clarke
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knee on belly. Phone Post
1/20/13 4:13 PM
Happiness Bunny
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus Quintana - sidekick

A lot of TMA takedowns, sweeps and kick catches that are used in San Da

San Da takedowns are awesome.

I remember asking one of my coaches once why sidekicks were not used as much in mt/mma and he put forward a very good point. It's due to the fact you have to work twice as hard to execute a good sidekick you have to use as much speed retracting the kick as you do to deliver it. Leaving your leg out even for a slight moment leaves you venerable to have that leg caught while you are in a un natural balance position. It's easier to balance when you are facing your opponent like if they caught a front kick. With many wrestlers in mma it seems like a bad idea unless you know how to retract fast or spin out of it (Like Cung).
1/20/13 5:04 PM
Sajite
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

low spining hook kick to the knee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr18NZw99to

1/20/13 5:13 PM
kingkoopa

Elbow jab
Side kick
Upper cut
Body punching
Teep
Knees to body on the ground
Soccer kick body on ground
Elbow from bottom Phone Post
1/20/13 5:17 PM
FullyLoadedFists

I would really like to see the taller lankier guys (like me) go to finish double-legs the proper and more optimal way for their frame.

By that I mean a taller guy (especially those with really long arms) instead of dropping your level all the way down to where your knee is on the mat and driving your head through their hips while trying to wrap your arms around their knee/hamstring/quad area (like how are more short stocky guy would normally do) instead just drop your level a little bit and keep your head around their chest in sternum area and drive forward while simultaneously grabbing the back of your opponents calves and pulling them out from underneath him and putting him on his ass with ease. (again while still keeping enough height to drive hard through their chest and sternum with your head)

The great thing about this is that it's harder to to counter and you dont pay a very big price if you f*** it up or fail to get the take down.

You might think that this would be a little bit lower percentage then what people think of as a more traditional double leg where we drop our knee all the way down to the mat. But the fact that you're only lowering your level a little bit (allowing you to stand/get back up a lot easier) eliminates a lot of the risk of getting caught underneath a guy if you fail to get the takedown. This makes it far more practical and superior imo. (especially for the taller fighter/wrestler/grappler) Phone Post
1/20/13 5:19 PM
Angry Bird

funny gifs

1/20/13 5:23 PM
FullyLoadedFists

Note: You can drive with your shoulder too if you like, but using your head. often makes you less vulnerable to get guillotine choked and just gives you that much more length/distance. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.