UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anybody Impressed by Gonzaga?

1/20/13 1:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Doem
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am.
Talk about a rebirth. He was tenacious in the clinch, kept pressuring for the take down, and when things got too wild standing he circled away real quick. Completely different from the old Gonzaga. Cool to see somebody change their game up and get so much success from it.
1/20/13 1:35 PM
orcus

I like that he's trying to focus on his ground game. But his conditioning looked awful and he looked slow.

Needs to join [AKA/Blackzilians/Team of the Month].

1/20/13 1:36 PM
Smith1234
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought he played to his strengths, agree it was good to see. Phone Post
1/20/13 1:39 PM
shaqitup
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not really TBH, we all know Gonzaga is skilled in all aspects of the game, and imo he should have won that fight.

I'm not saying he fought badly or anything, but it's not like he really showed much that he hasn't before.
1/20/13 1:40 PM
Doem

orcus - 

I like that he's trying to focus on his ground game. But his conditioning looked awful and he looked slow.

at first i thought he looked gas but considering how much energy he spent trying to lift ben off the ground its understandable.
Also he came out fresh in the second and looked calm confident when he slapped on the guillotine.
1/20/13 1:40 PM
cyberc92
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was laughing at all the critique Kenny and Dominick Cruz were giving him on his guillotine attempt when Gonzaga is one of the most decorated HW grapplers on the planet.
1/20/13 1:43 PM
UGSlapshot

Gonzo has always been a solid lower top ten fighter, I don't see any evidence of a rebirth maybe ppl just slept on his abilities.

Ben has always been a sold fighter too but he's never going to crack the top 8 unless he finds a way to deal with his cardio issues. Phone Post
1/20/13 1:46 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -

This, if he had more endurance he could have applied the pressure to get Rothwell down and submit him in the first round. Good on him for still being able to drop Rothwell in the second round and get the finish though. Phone Post
1/20/13 1:53 PM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cyberc92 - I was laughing at all the critique Kenny and Dominick Cruz were giving him on his guillotine attempt when Gonzaga is one of the most decorated HW grapplers on the planet.

Yeah the announcing crew were making some pretty odd comments last night. I wondered more than once if we were watching the same fight.
1/20/13 2:51 PM
1chaino
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I laughed when florian said it was dangerous pulling guard. I have never seen anyone pass Gabriel's guard. Never. Ever. Not once. People severely underestimate how dangerous napao is on the ground and all people talk about is how dangerous he is on the ground. Phone Post
1/20/13 2:52 PM
TuLegit

I'd like to see him and Nelson. Phone Post
1/20/13 2:53 PM
orcus

1chaino -  I laughed when florian said it was dangerous pulling guard. I have never seen anyone pass Gabriel's guard. Never. Ever. Not once. People severely underestimate how dangerous napao is on the ground and all people talk about is how dangerous he is on the ground. Phone Post

You can still get punched in the face without having your guard passed, or lose the round.

1/20/13 2:53 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/13 2:58 PM
Hell, I was. I lost a dollar betting against that S.O.B.
1/20/13 2:54 PM
1chaino
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see napao fight Mir after he beats Cormier. Great googley moogely! That's like the greatest bjj super fight ever. Phone Post
1/20/13 2:56 PM
1chaino

orcus -
1chaino -  I laughed when florian said it was dangerous pulling guard. I have never seen anyone pass Gabriel's guard. Never. Ever. Not once. People severely underestimate how dangerous napao is on the ground and all people talk about is how dangerous he is on the ground. Phone Post

You can still get punched in the face without having your guard passed, or lose the round.

I guess you can posture up and not control the hips in napaos guard. Nothing bad happens from that. Phone Post
1/20/13 6:10 PM
Ted Waltner
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always thought that Crocopping Crocop was one of the worst things for his career(in terms of longevity and longterm sucess).

After that he seemed to want to KO everybody. He tasted that glory of KOing a great knockout artist and wanted more of that instead of just the win.

Its only been his last 3 fights or so where its looked like he really went back to using his whole skillset especially his bjj.

I think the same thing happend to Damian Maia, (ko of marquardt) and he has also recently got back to what he does best.

To a lesser extent jacare too Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.