UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mousasi: First UFC win makes me no.1 contender

1/20/13 3:22 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

“I wanted to face a top opponent. He’s the No. 1 contender so fighting him would get me in line for a title shot. That’s the guy I want to fight,” Mousasi told MMAWeekly.com on Sunday.

“It was him, (Lyoto) Machida or Shogun (Rua), and I mentioned them because I felt those were the names that fans would want to see, and they’re top contenders and obviously (Gustafsson) beat Shogun so he’s the number one, so I feel great fighting for this spot.”

The UFC hasn’t officially dubbed the fight as a No. 1 contender’s bout, but Mousasi knows that Gustafsson’s resume certainly reads like a fighter ready to compete for the belt. Add in Mousasi’s current win streak and he believes this has the makings of finding out who will next challenge champion Jon Jones in the Octagon.

“Gustafsson, he’s on a six fight winning streak, it’s hard to deny him a title shot. It’s definitely for number one contender’s spot, that’s the way I feel,” said Mousasi.

read entire article...

1/20/13 3:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MachidasStraightLeft
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess... I dunno, I think he's way too small and deficient in defensive wrestling to even challenge JBJ.

1/20/13 3:25 PM
Mister Collins
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure if Gegard is ready for a titleshot.
1/20/13 3:27 PM
shorebreaker420
1012 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He needs to beat the dragon 1st Phone Post
1/20/13 3:27 PM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly think he has the tools to beat Jones on the feet, but I think Jon's wrestling could be a nightmare for Mousasi if he is unprepared. Phone Post
1/20/13 3:30 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ice Cold Igors Right Hand - I honestly think he has the tools to beat Jones on the feet, but I think Jon's wrestling could be a nightmare for Mousasi if he is unprepared. Phone Post
This Phone Post
1/20/13 3:30 PM
SupesUp
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he went in and beat gus convincingly. Sure. But guys like Phil Davis, Bader, or any of the big wrestlers would probably be a lot worse for his day. Phone Post
1/20/13 3:33 PM

I wish he'd go to AKA and train, that would be perfect for him. Phone Post
1/20/13 4:40 PM
hogh20

How about Rory Mac vs Gegard a few years down the road at Middleweight?
1/20/13 4:44 PM
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ice Cold Igors Right Hand -  I wish he'd go to AKA and train, that would be perfect for him. Phone Post

As much as I want him to work his wrestling I dont think I want him going to train with DC considering DC is wanting to go to 205 now.
1/20/13 4:46 PM
Dogman
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shorebreaker420 -  He needs to beat the dragon 1st Phone Post

This would be a great test and first fight
1/20/13 4:47 PM
Dogman
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL or Gus.
1/20/13 5:00 PM
Bipolar

We've got some drunk posters on the UG today. Mousasi's striking is beautiful, but he has NOTHING for Jon. He is simply too small, and would be done as soon as things hit the ground. Even on the feet, I don't think he'd be able to get near Jones. It's just a bad match-up for Mousasi. On the other hand, Gus' size might, MIGHT make things interesting against Jon - but I really doubt it.
1/20/13 5:08 PM
orcus

Rule_Abiding_Poster - i agree, and i see either one giving jones huge problems.

There's no way Mousasi is going to stop the takedown and I don't see him giving Jones much trouble from his back.

1/20/13 5:11 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely is if he beats GUS Phone Post
1/20/13 5:13 PM

Good point Kings, didn't think about that. Phone Post
1/20/13 9:32 PM
ufcman187

A quick win from Mousasi will set up a #1 contender spot vs Belfort. A Gustafsson win means Jones may have some trouble.
1/21/13 3:55 AM
markiz

Yea like it mattered what win streak he's on and against who.

LHW title shots have become a clusterfuck since, 2 challengers in a row are middleweights and one of them is coming off a loss. After that it will probably be a HW guy coming down.

Mousasi ain't a shit talker, so only way for him is to win against the best possible name and do it in a very convincing fashion.
Then maybe some of those guys who say in every topic about Mousasi "oh but King Mo wrestlefucked him and he didn't finish Jardine". Will forget - as they tend - and start yellin at Dana so he may consider title shot for Mousasi.

Anyway. This fight with Gustaffson is very exciting, but on the other hand it's like picking among your own two children. I don't want any of them to lose.
1/21/13 4:04 AM
Chaz Johnson

He has balls to fight a number 1-5 in the world fighter. He will not fight MW ever again. He is probably the only natural fighter I've seen and not a huge jacked up wrestler style body. His greatest tool is his mind. Hopefully he will have a great run Phone Post
1/21/13 4:10 AM
Gene Pitney

The next 3 guys in line for Jones, realistically, are

1)Chael
2) DC
3) Gustaffson

...So with a win over Gustaffson, he certainly moves into that third-in-line spot. The problem though, is that if he decideds to wait, which the UFC probably wont want, he won't be fighting for the title until 2014.
1/21/13 4:11 AM
Josh Davies
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighting bones so early in his UFC career wouldn't be a wise move for him. Bones is so much better than mousasi. Gustafson is for sure gunna teach him a few things Phone Post
1/21/13 4:27 AM
mijo

1/21/13 4:30 AM
WoodenPupa
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate that fighters have to lobby like this--essentially argue through interviews and tweets why they deserve this or that fight.
1/21/13 4:32 AM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You've got to love the nutsack on Mousasi, comes in calling out number 1 contenders.

Gustafsson is a beast, and if Mousasi puts him away I don't think you can argue against him getting a title shot. It would be a huge feather in his cap and huge statement. Personally I think Mousasi should be a MW, but what the fuck do I know? He's the fighter.

1/21/13 7:43 AM
Fabes
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

If he beats Gustafson and Cormier doesn't drop to 205, then he probably should be next in line.

Big ifs though for now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.