UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Cameron Earle

1/22/13 7:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
xpat
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you Gumby - a tremendous and incredibly brave post.
1/22/13 10:31 PM
redwhiteandblues
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

up
1/22/13 11:55 PM
Balance
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you. I'm trying to imagine how surreal it must be to have such a close relationship with someone and then have them do something you wouldn't imagine them capable of doing.
1/23/13 2:09 AM
macavelli

That was unbelievable Gumby. A story only you could of told. Thank you bro. Honesty i teared up at the end and I never liked Cameron and think he deserves to be locked up.
1/23/13 2:17 AM
Losmeister
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gumby - 
Losmeister - Thanks for this Gumby, I rarely read FRAT stuff on here, but this one hit home pretty hard. I remember training in the 90s and buying your tapes online, one of my favorite matches was Cameron against I think Mark Bocek when they were purples. Great match.

I would go to tourneys and look at Cameron and you and the Camarillo bros like you were celebs, lol. Cameron was one of my BJJ heroes, but like you said, the BJJ is irrelevant in this case, lives were ruined and I offer up my prayers also to the victims, their families, and Cameron himself.

Thanks. The idea of being a "celeb" is a bit weird to me even now to be honest, I'm the one who usually shuns being in the spotlight.

Those tapes you were producing back then were monumental. Before BJ and Serra were even in the UFC, you were focusing on them, and Laimon, etc. I still have them and watch them every year or so. It was a great time. The UFC was banned from cable, so it was a really unique time in MMA history, and BJJ played a bigger role than many remember.
1/24/13 10:10 AM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE

Awesome post... It pisses me off that they shot your dog. Phone Post
1/24/13 11:16 AM
HoldYerGround
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ironic how you mention Tim Ferriss posting Ryan's letter on his blog.

I can't help but feel that he has tried to build a cult of personality around himself.
1/24/13 11:35 AM
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andre - Gumby,

Great, great post. This is what I had hoped Ryan´s post would have been.

I like what you did because you mostly presented the events that occurred and your thoughts with regard to those events and what they all mean. I feel like this is so much more honest and insightful than Ryan´s letter where he speaks in generalities about cultish behavior and uses indirect language that reduces the impact of the message he´s trying to convey. Ryan is a bright guy, much smarter than me and better at jiujitsu, but I feel his letter was self-serving whereas your post, although similar in that you are sharing your experience with a similar situation, is not.

Note: I´m a fan of Ryan´s bjj and of him as a person. I think he´s a great ambassador for BJJ and Im so glad the art has him, I just didnt like the letter as much as everyone else and your post illustrated to me why.

Thanks!
That's exactly how I felt about the letter, which made me sad because I really appreciated the work put in.

I think Hall addressed the concept of hero worship that runs rampant in TMAs and that's great, but I think it flew over everyone's head.

Instead people used it as proof that Lloyd Irvin was and always will be Satan. That might have been what Hall wanted us to get out of the story ( I doubt it) but the tone was so general it really had little to do with the TLI scenario.

Just my opinion. It's a shame. I don't like saying this because it makes me sound...I dunno....ungrateful. Phone Post
1/24/13 12:00 PM
andre
416 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Calibur1980 - 
andre - Gumby,

Great, great post. This is what I had hoped Ryan´s post would have been.

I like what you did because you mostly presented the events that occurred and your thoughts with regard to those events and what they all mean. I feel like this is so much more honest and insightful than Ryan´s letter where he speaks in generalities about cultish behavior and uses indirect language that reduces the impact of the message he´s trying to convey. Ryan is a bright guy, much smarter than me and better at jiujitsu, but I feel his letter was self-serving whereas your post, although similar in that you are sharing your experience with a similar situation, is not.

Note: I´m a fan of Ryan´s bjj and of him as a person. I think he´s a great ambassador for BJJ and Im so glad the art has him, I just didnt like the letter as much as everyone else and your post illustrated to me why.

Thanks!
That's exactly how I felt about the letter, which made me sad because I really appreciated the work put in.

I think Hall addressed the concept of hero worship that runs rampant in TMAs and that's great, but I think it flew over everyone's head.

Instead people used it as proof that Lloyd Irvin was and always will be Satan. That might have been what Hall wanted us to get out of the story ( I doubt it) but the tone was so general it really had little to do with the TLI scenario.

Just my opinion. It's a shame. I don't like saying this because it makes me sound...I dunno....ungrateful. Phone Post

You nailed it. I didnt like saying anything negative about his letter either, but it felt like a huge missed opportunity.
1/24/13 12:34 PM
HoldYerGround
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its weird that the only complaints that I hear from the Ryan Hall letter are people worrying that other people won't get it.

I never hear readers actually saying "I don't get it".
1/24/13 1:15 PM
orudis
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HoldYerGround - Ironic how you mention Tim Ferriss posting Ryan's letter on his blog.

I can't help but feel that he has tried to build a cult of personality around himself.
Yeah, I found that interesting as well, and it's curious that he calls Ryan "a new friend." He seems to be ingratiating himself with many mma/bjj people lately. Phone Post
1/24/13 1:24 PM
Gumby
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've known Tim Ferris a very long time, well before the 4 hour series back when he was Brainquicken guy. I'm very happy for all of his success, he's always been driven so I it's no surprise. TO me his story is more remarkable because I've seen him through his failures and some of his more hilarious experiments. But he's been part of the martial arts culture for a very long time.

And to tie things up, you know who introduced Tim and I? Cameron Earle!
1/24/13 2:16 PM
andre
416 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HoldYerGround - Its weird that the only complaints that I hear from the Ryan Hall letter are people worrying that other people won't get it.

I never hear readers actually saying "I don't get it".
I'm not worried about his letter. Phone Post
1/24/13 4:04 PM
GODZILLA
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a friend of mine told me about this and it brought to this site(took me a little while to remember my log in! haha)

Great Post Gumby.  True insight into that whole situation. 

1/25/13 2:54 AM
Losmeister

Good to see Godzilla post. Just reminds me of how close the cali bjj scene was back in the day.
1/25/13 4:17 AM
PTM2020
874 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you Gumby.  imo, That read was something we all needed at this point in time.

Respects,

-p

1/26/13 7:55 PM
GODZILLA
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Losmeister, I made a lot of friends I still keep in contact with and still very much appreciate the BJJ scene here. 

I trained with Cameron and worked security at clubs with him on a number of occasions. I always knew he was  off, I just didnt know how OFF. There was a time I considered Cameron a friend, but I would like to think that I wouldnt be friends with someone who is capable of something like that and after everything came to light, I wont even bring his name up when talking about the people I started training with and had mat time with now. 

1/26/13 8:29 PM
Hywel Teague
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gumby - I've known Tim Ferris a very long time, well before the 4 hour series back when he was Brainquicken guy. I'm very happy for all of his success, he's always been driven so I it's no surprise. TO me his story is more remarkable because I've seen him through his failures and some of his more hilarious experiments. But he's been part of the martial arts culture for a very long time.

And to tie things up, you know who introduced Tim and I? Cameron Earle!
Well that was unexpected... Gumby I would love to hear more of your stories - preferably ones with happy endings though Phone Post
1/26/13 8:48 PM
PTM2020
874 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/26/13 8:48 PM

man...  It'd be cool if somone made a doc about the early days at Ralphs School.   Interview everyone, BJ, Camarillos, Diaz's, Terrel, Gil Castillo, Gabe, etc.....

1/26/13 8:54 PM
andre

PTM2020 -

man...  It'd be cool if somone made a doc about the early days at Ralphs School.   Interview everyone, BJ, Camarillos, Diaz's, Terrel, Gil Castillo, Gabe, etc.....

Actually that's a really interesting idea in general: a documentary on jiujitsu's early days in the US. Phone Post
1/26/13 10:37 PM
JSho
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for posting Phone Post
1/27/13 2:34 AM
On the Mat
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andre - 
PTM2020 -

Actually that's a really interesting idea in general: a documentary on jiujitsu's early days in the US. Phone Post

We got a lot of footage. Anyone want to help edit it?
1/27/13 3:15 AM
mohawke
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm an editor, and would love to help edit a documentary of this sort...
1/27/13 7:20 AM
PTM2020

Edited: 01/27/13 7:20 AM

^dang.  I'm an editor too, but I'm slammed with projects till the end of the year.   Woulda loved a crack at it though.

I say do it!!!!   i bet OTM has tons of awesome footage and interviews from that early era that we would all love to see.  It would just take someone to go through all that and craft it into a story.

1/27/13 10:26 AM
kcbjj
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.