UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> MMA Conditioning

2/10/13 3:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JBryan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have found this topic very interesting. I stop in from time to time to read Taku's wisdom. I might also add that I have found more experienced and knowlegable coaches here than are on most S&C Boards.
When I first started Lifting most Sport Coach's were against any kind of lifting weights. I did it anyway. Father Lange at Notre Dame was the first Strength Coach to get any backing. Even in the 70's when I was involved S&C was still not mainstream. Today we have many S&C Coaches that pay more attention to the gimmicks and weird exercises than they do to a long tried and proven approach. I am not surprised by any of the outlandish exercises I see in the gym anymore and these guys and girls have College Degrees and many Certifications, so it must be OK?

Good subject!
2/10/13 8:10 PM
Taku
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Jim,

Thanks for dropping by.

TAKU

2/10/13 9:38 PM
Vitor Me A New One
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed Phone Post
2/11/13 1:53 PM
HULC
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chocolate Shatner - 
HULC - 
Chocolate Shatner - actually, acording to Calzaghe's wikipedia entry, Joe isn't the second, he's in fact the 10th. He would also be the third "undisputed" world champ to retire undefeated.

Not according to the wiki page i just read. Rocky Marciano was the first, so if Calzaghe was the third, then who was the second?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Calzaghe#Retirement

On 5 February 2009, Joe Calzaghe announced his retirement from professional boxing, finishing with a record of 46–0 and becoming only the twelfth World Champion boxer, after Rocky Marciano, Ji Won Kim, Terry Marsh, Pichit Sitbangprachan, Edwin Valero, Harry Simon, Ricardo Lopez, Michael Loewe and Sven Ottke, to retire as an undefeated World Champion.[65]

Yes but most of those were 1 belt paper champs, not undisputed champ. You said he was the third undisputed world champ to retire undefeated. So if Marciano was the first, and Calzaghe the third, who was the second?
2/11/13 4:33 PM
Chocolate Shatner
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edwin Valero won the WBA and WBC belts, Lopez the WBA, WBC, WBO and IBF belts, while Ottke won the WBA and the IBF belts.

Not sure which of these constitues a undisputed champ, that was just a quote I got from somewhere, but none of these men could be accused of being 1 belt paper champs.
2/11/13 8:38 PM
HULC
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll agree with Lopez, he was a legit champ. Ottke doesn't belong in the same class. He never left Germany and never fought any of the other top fighters at his weight.
2/12/13 7:51 AM
Fight! UK Online
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gonna give this thread a proper read later - seems like an interesting discussion.

2/12/13 7:58 AM
Chocolate Shatner
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - I'll agree with Lopez, he was a legit champ. Ottke doesn't belong in the same class. He never left Germany and never fought any of the other top fighters at his weight.

Dude, Calzaghe only fought outside the UK 3 times himself. Once in Germany, and twice (his last two fights of his career) in the USA.
2/25/13 4:33 PM
Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
2/27/13 2:27 PM
Juggaloey
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
2/27/13 8:45 PM
HULC

Chocolate Shatner - 
HULC - I'll agree with Lopez, he was a legit champ. Ottke doesn't belong in the same class. He never left Germany and never fought any of the other top fighters at his weight.

Dude, Calzaghe only fought outside the UK 3 times himself. Once in Germany, and twice (his last two fights of his career) in the USA.

The UK is a much bigger boxing country than Germany and Calzaghe cleared his division out, unified the titles, then moved up and cleared out the division above.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.