UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Tell me about the craziest guy you've trained with

1/22/13 5:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cumprido1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL I remember the japanese exchange student.

I think I spoke more japanese than he spoke english. And my vocab is limited to counting to ten, hajime. And matte. Phone Post
1/22/13 5:24 PM
vegard
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Used to have a female bartender/jello wrestler train at the gym. She would only train in booty shorts and tight tank top. Her crotch would be half exposed anytime she had to work guard. She was pretty hot, not too crazy, but the problem was she smelled like cigarettes, old alcohol, and like she'd been turning tricks in the back of the bar for a week without a shower.

I'd take rolling with stanky gi guy any day over funky, nasty cooter stink. I literally had to prevent myself from barfing on her a couple of times.

All the guys who didn't know her would be hopping to train with her the first time. After that, everyone mysteriously had to take pee break when it was time to get paired with her.
1/22/13 6:14 PM
ElPulpo
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had the displeasure of training with the kid from the infamous "Hog Watching" vid on several occasions.
1/22/13 6:41 PM
shen
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/22/13 6:53 PM

When you train with really CrAzY people, can you "feel" it?

2-3 times I have rolled with people who were pretty crazy where the "energy" I got when I touched them reminded me of a TV on static or something.

Sometimes people feel strong or weak or relaxed or tense, but with these guys it felt like --OH that's weird. I didn't like the feeling.

Anyone else experience that... --or did I just out myself as schizophrenic?
1/22/13 7:23 PM
checkuroil
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every muscle tensed in the wrong way Phone Post
1/22/13 9:17 PM
FreestyleJJ
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weirdest one for me was a guy who claimed to be a ninja, and apparently actually snuck around his college campus dressed in full ninja gear. He probabaly only weighed about 120 lbs.

Most of the stuff we only heard about him from one of our regulars because they were in the same dorm, but the one time he came to our class was pretty weird. We were sharing space with a gymnastics gym and when class started he didn't come over and join us. He was swinging back and forth on the parallel bars, until my instructor had to ask his friend to go retrieve him.

I got paired up him while we were drilling techniques. The topic was something from guard, so I asked him to put me in his guard. Just a I started to get into his guard, he starts to curl into a fetal position turning slightly sideways and goes ," Eeeeeeeee", in a sad little voice like I was about to rape him. At this point I'm thinking ,"What the hell?"

Never saw this guy again, but a few weeks later, the regular who knew him from school, came in and told us that he walked in on the guy with a girl in his dorm room and the girl was giving it to him with a giant strap on.

A few months later, this same guy set off a Molotov cocktail in the stair well of a girls dorm. Luckily no one was hurt, but our regular ended up testifying against him in court while this guy is making death threats in open court the whole time and was sentences to about 5 years. Phone Post
1/22/13 9:31 PM
theppfftt
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yup..im crying laughing so hard about the ninja..That is a killer funny one..Blowgun..rope..LMFAO....
1/22/13 10:27 PM
jammer1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shen,

I know what you mean by "crazy energy". There was this guy who trained at my gym for a couple of weeks. At first, I just thought he was overly eager to learn to the point it was weird . After class was dismissed and sometimes during rolling at the end of class, he would play the "what if game" about the techniques we just learned. It wouldn't be so bad if he stopped after one question, but it always turned into another "what if".

The other weird thing was he seemed to always partner up with guys he had 20+ lbs on. Anyways, I overheard a couple of guys complain about him but never really saw why. Finally, I was partnered up with this guy for the first time. He seemed like a pretty normal guy during technique time, aside from the constant "what ifs". We were learning a top half technique which utilized forearm pressure to the neck, I mention this because it becomes relevant. During the rolling portion, I pull guard and immediately feel something will go wrong as he is shaking like an abused animal getting ready to strike back. As I move to control his posture he is throwing elbows at my neck, essentially trying the technique we just practiced (albeit from the wrong position) with strikes instead of frame pressure. I'm basically moving my hips side to side narrowly missing his elbows for 5 seconds. He then stops and asks " what am I doing wrong?" , as in his mind he was attempting the half guard pass we just worked on. First, I explained that I was in full guard and the technique was intended for when he had a free leg. Secondly, I explained he needed to control his forearms with pressure and stop launching them at my neck. He replied with an "oh" and continued spazzing out. Every time you tried to make a grip, he fought like he thought his death was imminent. When I broke his posture again, went back in for the forearms to the throat but I was ready this time and kept him too close. He then switched to driving his thumbs in between my ribs. Finally, I controlled one of his forearm strikes and pulled him into a really tight arm bar. He stood to slam me as his free hand was still digging at my ribs, this made me drive my hips harder as I felt like dude was trying to finish me MMA style . His arm popped and he groaned and quickly walked off the mat. I explained what happened to the instructor and he made a generalized statement about looking out for training partners. The guy sat silently on the corner of the mat icing his elbow for the final 10 minutes of class. He never came back after that.
1/22/13 11:21 PM
N5Z
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had an odd experience about two weeks ago.  Im covering a friday evening class for my instructor.  Small class, only 6 guys there and the whole thing goes by uneventfully.  Afterwards we are all chatting and one guy, a heavy set Jamaican guy in his late 20s early 30s who has been training about a month, asks me about the girls in south florida.  I ask him what he needs to know and he says that 'girls here talk shit to me'.  I think he is joking but he seems pretty adamant.  He then mentions that people in south florida 'talk alot of shit'.  He mentioned earlier that he is a security guard so I tell him its probably just his job and he seems content with that answer.  He then starts talking about finding a better job and how McDonald's wont even call him after he puts in an application.  I ask him if he has a criminal record.  He says 'no' then says 'well not really'.  He then proceeds to tell me that his parents had him baker acted(3 day psych hold) a couple of years ago because he was drinking too much.  Now, I work with Baker Act Patients and usually if its alcohol they let them detox and let them go.  If they stay all 72hours its usually a psych thing.  Anyways, I end the conversation politely and tell them that i have to lock up.

They leave, I clean the mats and proceed on my way out.  I should mention I have my 9 year old nephew with me.  As Im locking up some ladies from the place next door ask me about training, maybe a 30 second conversation.  As Im walking to my car the Jamaican guy pops his head up from a car parked a space away.  I was looking right at it and the door did not open so he was either sitting on the ground outside the car or hunched over waiting for me to get there.  I say 'hey, whats up' and he asks me 'were they talking shit to you?'  Im like 'those girls over there?  No man, they just wanted to know about training'.  Then he says 'people are always talking shit to me'.  At this point I notice something is wrong and I tell my nephew to get in my car.  I ask him what people say when they talk shit to him.  The guy always talks with a slight accent but suddenly his accent gets super thick and he is obviously agitated...

"Dey be telling lies 'bout me.  The other day I was at Walgreens and dis man I dont know he go and say 'Dere go dat boy dere dun got raped'.  I swear to you I have experienced no such thing in the states but he go round telling 'dat boy dere dun got raped'  Dey be telling lies but sometimes dey be telling truths.  Dey be telling half-truths like the other day I was at Walgreens and dis man come up to me an say 'I know where your mother lives.  Your mother lives over dere by Belvedere'  and dere is some truth to dis man.  Now I ask why?  Why dey got to be talking shit bout me talking bout I got raped and dey know where my mother stay?"

I tell him that sometimes people just talk shit and thats life.  I tell him to try and ignore it then ask him if he is ok to drive.  He says 'yes' so I wish him good night and leave.  Ive not seen him back since and as Im writing this Im thinking that I should get his number from the gym and see if he is ok.

1/23/13 12:28 AM
jammer1

NFZ, that sounds like the kind of crazy that gets people eating faces off and shit. LOL!
1/23/13 12:37 AM
joe_mama
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/23/13 1:11 AM
Yeesh, ya the guy sounds like a textbook paranoid schizophrenic.
1/23/13 1:18 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Everyone has go to techniques but this one guy only ever tried a guard pull and then basic lapel choke. This guy was strong as shit and had a black belt in Karate or something. He never caught anyone with the choke but would try to pull it off at such an intensity that he could never last more than 3 minutes rolling without stopping to rest. This guy would clamp on and squeeze his arms and legs at full exertion, breathing all laboured and shit.

Two or three rolls and his forearms were exhausted to the point that he couldn't close them any more and he'd sit out the rest of the session.

He just couldn't be told by the coaches, other students, etc that it wasn't a sensible strategy.
1/23/13 1:25 AM
Shinsplint
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had a guy come out to train no-gi for a few weeks that was a strange cat. I was the lucky prick that got to partner with him.

He had some major attention issues, we would review a technique and the guy would be shadowboxing on his knees facing away from the instructor or something. When the time came to drill the technique I'd have to go over everything again. He also decided to take random breaks throughout the warm-up, or he'd just start doing his own exercises.

When drilling he would grunt like a constipated warthog throughout every tiny detail of every technique. He also had that "im going to kill you" intense look on his face all the while. When I was drilling sweeps on him however the guy would just collapse in pain like I had hurt him mortally. And then be fine 10 seconds later.

Anyway needless to say I was getting fed up with his challenging demeanor. A couple days later, while the instructor is demonstrating a nice set of submissions I happen to glance over at this dude and am horrified to discover that he is feasting upon the small scabs and pimples he is harvesting off his arms.

After choking back a mouthfull of vomit I promptly run to the washroom and douse my exposed body parts with scalding water and copious amounts of hand sanitzer.

I fucked off early that night. Thank the lord Jesus he didn't show up again. Ain't nobody got time for that.
1/23/13 7:34 AM
vegard

I forgot about La Liberte. Will post that later. And there is one other guy who made faces like a rattler was striking his balls while he rolled.
1/23/13 8:32 AM
totaldude
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to train with Jordon Schultz...

There was the time where he wanted to get matching tattoos with another guy that trained with us.
There was the time where he talked about how when he rolled with this girl that he could smell her and it gave him a boner.
There were the millions of times where he'd sit by himself in the corner of the mat space and just look miserable.
There were the millions of times he would take whatever anyone at a higher belt level said as the golden rule and believe/follow it.
1/23/13 2:35 PM
zunk1
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there was a guy that came through for a bit that claimed he never trained before but seemed like he had about a years experience . he got the nickname Crabman cause he looked like crabman from My Name is Earl. he knew basic movements and his way around the mats, was athletic. He ended up training for several months and when asked how long he had ben training he would say 2 months even though he had been with us probably 7-8. he would roll in a skintight white turtle neck and sometimes pajama pants. he would try to heel hook you almost any chance he got. he also looked about 21 but would tell people he was in his 30s though he had no car and would be picked up by what we think was his mother.  I heard a story but wasn't there that our instructor asked if anyone spoke japanese cause there was a student in town that didn't know english and he said yeah i do and proceeded to speak english in an over the top japanese accent. People thought he was kidding or being racist but he was being dead serious. There is a brown belt that has a money triangle escape and was asked to try to get out of crabman's triangle just to sort of show it, well crabman tried to switch to a bellydown armbar though it was supposed to be just an exercise of sorts and the brown belt did not take it well and nearly beat the breaks off the kid after escaping. he eventually moved. 

1/23/13 3:09 PM
jammer1

IMO, the type of weird/crazy has changed with the popularity of TUF. When I started in the late 90's you would get either these Kung fu or special forces types who would show up and do crazy stuff. Now I usually see more of the tap out gear queer types who saw techniques on YouTube and think that counts as "knowing" BJJ and want to fight UFC.
1/23/13 3:21 PM
checkuroil
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zunk1 -

there was a guy that came through for a bit that claimed he never trained before but seemed like he had about a years experience . he got the nickname Crabman cause he looked like crabman from My Name is Earl. he knew basic movements and his way around the mats, was athletic. He ended up training for several months and when asked how long he had ben training he would say 2 months even though he had been with us probably 7-8. he would roll in a skintight white turtle neck and sometimes pajama pants. he would try to heel hook you almost any chance he got. he also looked about 21 but would tell people he was in his 30s though he had no car and would be picked up by what we think was his mother.  I heard a story but wasn't there that our instructor asked if anyone spoke japanese cause there was a student in town that didn't know english and he said yeah i do and proceeded to speak english in an over the top japanese accent. People thought he was kidding or being racist but he was being dead serious. There is a brown belt that has a money triangle escape and was asked to try to get out of crabman's triangle just to sort of show it, well crabman tried to switch to a bellydown armbar though it was supposed to be just an exercise of sorts and the brown belt did not take it well and nearly beat the breaks off the kid after escaping. he eventually moved. 

That kid then went to Hawaii and claimed he was a brown belt.

The thing about him was that the moves he used were specifically Bjj moves and escapes. You can't naturally do de la riva to fifty fifty to a heel hook. Phone Post
1/23/13 3:38 PM
vitor3000
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ElPulpo - I have had the displeasure of training with the kid from the infamous "Hog Watching" vid on several occasions.
Lmao, any notable stories?!? Phone Post
1/23/13 5:13 PM
cumprido1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The hogwatcher aka "pat" thing was just too f'n weird.

That's 2 complete weirdos CUO has trained with. Must be the shorts. Phone Post
1/23/13 5:35 PM
zunk1
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vitor3000 - 
ElPulpo - I have had the displeasure of training with the kid from the infamous "Hog Watching" vid on several occasions.
Lmao, any notable stories?!? Phone Post

he always rolled with no cup and one day i hear a scream next to me and he is writhing in pain and this guy is applogizing saying he was just trying a knee slice pass. I continued rolling and when i was done i saw hogwatcher on a couch lookin real ill, pale and cold sweats and had puke on his tshirt just laying there catatonic. i walk into the locker room and saw he puked in a sink. Later heard he lost one of his testicles, cuo can confirm he told the story on that podcast. 

1/23/13 5:46 PM
checkuroil

Yeah. He supposedly lost his nut.

He would hang out on the main drag where all the tranny hookers did their thing in Hollywood. Phone Post
1/23/13 6:12 PM
Traintrane
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I once rolled with a guy who had a psychotic break mid roll. He actually had trained with us for a couple of months, was a bit weird but nothing major.

More funny weird than creepy weird.

Me and friend who both worked shifts used to spar when we got of work in the early morning and sometimes people came to roll before work.

This morning it was just me, my friend and this guy and something just seemed a little off, he usually talks and tell jokes but this morning he was more quiet than normal.

I ask him if everything is OK and he says he´s just a bit tired thats all.

We start sparring and i pull guard and he tries to pass for about a minute. He stands up and tries to pass standing. When suddenly something just feels wrong, his eyes change and begin to wander as if he´s looking trough me instead of at me. The "energy" changed and he just goes berserk.

I don´t remember it myself but my friend said I performed the best sweep he had ever seen and I "got up as if my ass had exploded"

The guy was on his back just talking out into thin air about eagles and demons. We manage to calm him down and drive him to the psych ward.

It turned out he had been under a lot of stress, hadn't slept for days and apparently had some form of mental illness in his family.
1/24/13 2:50 AM
puppet
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny stuff Phone Post
1/24/13 3:45 AM
Daniel/CGJJ
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

X_Rated - 
Daniel/CGJJ - *Rachid worked as a garbage-collector and would go to training straight from work. No shower. One day he got a crazy rash on his arms and hands from some chemical shit. No one wanted to roll with him. Aside from his disgusting aura, the guy was also utter shit, technique wise. We recently found out he teaches his own style of martial arts: Rachid Krav Muay Boran or something ludicrous.

*Sergei is not quite bat-shit crazy, just delusional. Has probably been training since UFC1, but is still a blue belt. Talks EPIC amounts of self-inflating shit. "My style is not pure bjj, is luta livre mixed with vale tudo". Tells the world that he has coached and trained all the top mma fighters from Holland, but is a total spazz goon.

*Mushvic was the scariest guy I have ever met. SUPER nice, enthousiastic and funny. Awesome wrestler from Azerbaizjan. Hung out with REAL jihadi's and was a member of the Grey Wolves. We suspect he was probably a hitman and neck deep in organized crime. Had that demeanor that he could kill someone without batting an eye. He said things like: "My friend, if you ever have problem. You call me and I'll be there with bomb."
Lol at I be there with bomb Phone Post

True. But It's something to take seriously from a guy driving a black van with 4 guys with hadj beards and guns stuffed in their waistline.

Still, and this is the strangest bit, the guy was extremely friendly. I even went swimming with him once at the local pool and he would do somersaults and ride the watertube. All hyper, like a fucking kid.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.