UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rick Hawn Ripped Off by BFC 85 Sponsor

1/22/13 11:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TDogg926
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YoungSteinel -
Rick Hawn - 

Hey everybody, it looks like the sponsor HTFU will be paying me now. I cant thank you guys enuf for all  the support and kind words. It was you guys that made him change his mind due to all the bad press he was getting. I will let you know if and when the new check arrives next week. Talk to ya soon. 

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/22/3904148/sponsor-agrees-to-pay-bellators-rick-hawn-after-initially-stopping

Awesome news Rick! Great to hear. You don't have anything to be ashamed of, you fought hard.
This. It was a great fight and you earned every penny of that $1500 he owes you. I'm glad it worked out(hopefully). You know that no matter how much shit we talk to each other, when it comes to things like this, we always band together. UG mob FTW!!!! Phone Post
1/22/13 11:12 PM
Ceelo
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Russell - 
12SixElbow - 

So the owner of the brand says that Hawn's corner didn't wear his shirts.

As per the agreement for the money.

And that they did not post the entire email.

Any truth?

Can we see the entire email?

If Hawn and his cornerman didn't wear the shirts they were suppose to as in the contract, does he have a good reason not to pay?

No truth. His email claimed as much, but knowing that Firas Zahabi has an exclusive deal with Headrush (which he has had for some time) and that we weren't acting as an agent for anyone but Rick (as we have no legal right to do so), we couldn't and wouldn't guarantee that the two other corners would wear his shirt and hat. Mark asked if he should send extra shirts and hats and Rick's reply verbatim was "sure."

Rick's other cornermen, however, wanted to help Rick promote the brand they thought were supporting their fighter in good faith, so they chose to wear the HTFU shirts provided by the sponsor.

Here is the entire email, including him complaining that Rick (who was rehydrating and had to see the Bellator doctor before he came down from his room to meet said sponsor) was not accomodating enough.

Rick, who the sponsor seemed to forget was fighting for a world title,  gave the guy two of his cageside tickets (one that was meant fro his little brother, so another one had to be purchased to accomodate him). When he saw that Rick's parents had all access passes, he had the nerve to ask Rick's fiancee why they had passes and he only had "two crappy $130 tickets?"

Mike, 

Can you tell me why one of his corners wasn't wearing a shirt and why none of his corners were wearing the hat?  

This was part of the agreement which Rick and his camp did not fulfill.  With regards to everything I have done.  I sent Rick a couple thousand dollars worth of clothes (Fedex overnight cost $200).  I bought I ticket out to support his fight, hotels, rental cars.  I made a shirt which cost me almost a $1000 to make.  I had to shut down a printer to do it and take away resources to fulfill the order.  

I arrived in Irvine on Wednesday to his camp.  Shook Rick's hand and that was about it for a relationship.  Rick and his camp advised me to meet up with him later after the weigh in. I waited for a couple hours with my girlfriend, re-arranged plans and never saw Rick come down to say hello.  I had to find him eating in another room with his friends.  In fact, his girlfriend was more accommodating and sincere than Rick.  

I will not comment on Rick and his fight.  That is not my place.  But what I will tell you is this:  I took a huge chance with him.  TV exposure was great…but it only holds weight if he wins or puts on a good show.  Neither happened.  At the end of the day…not one sole will run to the HTFU store and buy product because they  saw Rick walk out in my shirt and loose the fight.  I've made it my career and business to know what nets a return on investment for the brand…and this is the number 1 reason why I DO NOT hand out money or product to fighters.  

With regards to the check I sent Rick.  At this point, a stop payment has been placed on check which cannot be cashed or deposited now.  

Sincerely, 

Mark R Gingrich  |  Founder / CEO
H T F U  L L C 
Boutique Clothing Brand Dedicated to the Extreme Athlete Community

Actions speak louder than words. The second Rick lost his fight, the guy who was supposed to be supporting Rick, grabbed his girlfriend's hand and booked it out of the arena and proceeded to ignore all calls and text messages from Rick and the FundaFighter rep we sent to the fight specifically to make sure he was included in the experience, which alone should have more than earned Rick his $1500.

Keep in mind also, the shirt he "made for Rick" was actually a generic one he had designed that he is now selling as "The Factory" model. There is no way in hell it cost him $1000 for 5 shirts when he had to change one screen. He also sent about 1/2 of the product Rick was promised.

boom goes the dynamite
1/22/13 11:13 PM
12SixElbow
623 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow Mike, thanks for posting the whole email....

I've never purchased that brand of clothes before this, and I'll make sure I don't buy any of it from here on out. Guy comes off like a jealous ex

1/22/13 11:20 PM
PJ Benn Fan
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rick Hawn - 

Hey everybody, it looks like the sponsor HTFU will be paying me now. I cant thank you guys enuf for all  the support and kind words. It was you guys that made him change his mind due to all the bad press he was getting. I will let you know if and when the new check arrives next week. Talk to ya soon. 

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/22/3904148/sponsor-agrees-to-pay-bellators-rick-hawn-after-initially-stopping

Good luck and hope it works out!

1/22/13 11:39 PM
sodigthisbigcrux
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Russell -
12SixElbow - 

So the owner of the brand says that Hawn's corner didn't wear his shirts.

As per the agreement for the money.

And that they did not post the entire email.

Any truth?

Can we see the entire email?

If Hawn and his cornerman didn't wear the shirts they were suppose to as in the contract, does he have a good reason not to pay?

No truth. His email claimed as much, but knowing that Firas Zahabi has an exclusive deal with Headrush (which he has had for some time) and that we weren't acting as an agent for anyone but Rick (as we have no legal right to do so), we couldn't and wouldn't guarantee that the two other corners would wear his shirt and hat. Mark asked if he should send extra shirts and hats and Rick's reply verbatim was "sure."

Rick's other cornermen, however, wanted to help Rick promote the brand they thought were supporting their fighter in good faith, so they chose to wear the HTFU shirts provided by the sponsor.

Here is the entire email, including him complaining that Rick (who was rehydrating and had to see the Bellator doctor before he came down from his room to meet said sponsor) was not accomodating enough.

Rick, who the sponsor seemed to forget was fighting for a world title,  gave the guy two of his cageside tickets (one that was meant fro his little brother, so another one had to be purchased to accomodate him). When he saw that Rick's parents had all access passes, he had the nerve to ask Rick's fiancee why they had passes and he only had "two crappy $130 tickets?"

Mike, 

Can you tell me why one of his corners wasn't wearing a shirt and why none of his corners were wearing the hat?  

This was part of the agreement which Rick and his camp did not fulfill.  With regards to everything I have done.  I sent Rick a couple thousand dollars worth of clothes (Fedex overnight cost $200).  I bought I ticket out to support his fight, hotels, rental cars.  I made a shirt which cost me almost a $1000 to make.  I had to shut down a printer to do it and take away resources to fulfill the order.  

I arrived in Irvine on Wednesday to his camp.  Shook Rick's hand and that was about it for a relationship.  Rick and his camp advised me to meet up with him later after the weigh in. I waited for a couple hours with my girlfriend, re-arranged plans and never saw Rick come down to say hello.  I had to find him eating in another room with his friends.  In fact, his girlfriend was more accommodating and sincere than Rick.  

I will not comment on Rick and his fight.  That is not my place.  But what I will tell you is this:  I took a huge chance with him.  TV exposure was great…but it only holds weight if he wins or puts on a good show.  Neither happened.  At the end of the day…not one sole will run to the HTFU store and buy product because they  saw Rick walk out in my shirt and loose the fight.  I've made it my career and business to know what nets a return on investment for the brand…and this is the number 1 reason why I DO NOT hand out money or product to fighters.  

With regards to the check I sent Rick.  At this point, a stop payment has been placed on check which cannot be cashed or deposited now.  

Sincerely, 

Mark R Gingrich  |  Founder / CEO
H T F U  L L C 
Boutique Clothing Brand Dedicated to the Extreme Athlete Community

Actions speak louder than words. The second Rick lost his fight, the guy who was supposed to be supporting Rick, grabbed his girlfriend's hand and booked it out of the arena and proceeded to ignore all calls and text messages from Rick and the FundaFighter rep we sent to the fight specifically to make sure he was included in the experience, which alone should have more than earned Rick his $1500.

Keep in mind also, the shirt he "made for Rick" was actually a generic one he had designed that he is now selling as "The Factory" model. There is no way in hell it cost him $1000 for 5 shirts when he had to change one screen. He also sent about 1/2 of the product Rick was promised.

Debts paid or not...fuck Mark Gingrich. He's exposed and this will haunt him for a long ass time Phone Post
1/22/13 11:44 PM
Billy Bunter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank goodness Bec Hyatt and her people saw through this "fundafighter" fuck up, so far every controversy related to MMA fighters emanates from this thinly disguised operation. Everyone was presented under the guidance of "fundafighter" Heun's "woe be me" story about Zuffa not paying for his surgery, when in fact they paid for more than he's worth. Carefully and cunningly structured communications release by this "fundafighter" painted the picture accordingly, until push came to shove and it ultimately was revealed that Zuffa had indeed paid more than anyone for any fighter on their roster, beyond. The guidance of "fundafighter" - so called MMA marketing experts, advised him to scream blue murder in the public realm, which he did do. Turned out of course that what he claimed was not true at all. Now we have this 'another' fundafighter' embroiled in dubious activities again under the guidance of this "fundafighter". According the the informations provided by "fundafighter" they negotiated the sponsorship of the company in question, seemingly content with "verbal" agreements. Suddenly it becomes a "miscommunication" when the agreement acknowledgement by both sides is that the corner will wear the garments as provided "sure" says the fighter himself, then the unprofessional "fundafighter" claims impossible after the fact.

Two controversies initiated and under the auspices of "fundafighter" to date. The modus operandi becomes clear, the cry foul and invoke the wrath of the MMA community with incomplete correspondences in order to mislead everyone to bully and force a solution to their incompetence on everyone else.

Thank which ever deity you believe in that the youngster Bec Hyatt and her team were wide awake to steer far and wide and clear of this bottom of the barrel operation "fundafighter".

Be aware.
1/22/13 11:55 PM
Authority Figure

EST Hoodie
Our Price: $108.95

The EST Hoodie by HTFU is the perfect addition any wardrobe. Built from the ground up, everything from the fabric, to the stitching was discussed and thoroughly talked through before production. This is hands down one of the nicest hoodies we've ever made. We hope we set the standard and everyone enjoys our new custom garment. 

Limited to 500 total (all sizes).  Which means once they're gone...they're gone.  Ships December 7th.  

Who the hell spends $100 on a fucking hoodie? LMAO

1/23/13 12:00 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Billy Bunter - Thank goodness Bec Hyatt and her people saw through this "fundafighter" fuck up, so far every controversy related to MMA fighters emanates from this thinly disguised operation. Everyone was presented under the guidance of "fundafighter" Heun's "woe be me" story about Zuffa not paying for his surgery, when in fact they paid for more than he's worth. Carefully and cunningly structured communications release by this "fundafighter" painted the picture accordingly, until push came to shove and it ultimately was revealed that Zuffa had indeed paid more than anyone for any fighter on their roster, beyond. The guidance of "fundafighter" - so called MMA marketing experts, advised him to scream blue murder in the public realm, which he did do. Turned out of course that what he claimed was not true at all. Now we have this 'another' fundafighter' embroiled in dubious activities again under the guidance of this "fundafighter". According the the informations provided by "fundafighter" they negotiated the sponsorship of the company in question, seemingly content with "verbal" agreements. Suddenly it becomes a "miscommunication" when the agreement acknowledgement by both sides is that the corner will wear the garments as provided "sure" says the fighter himself, then the unprofessional "fundafighter" claims impossible after the fact.

Two controversies initiated and under the auspices of "fundafighter" to date. The modus operandi becomes clear, the cry foul and invoke the wrath of the MMA community with incomplete correspondences in order to mislead everyone to bully and force a solution to their incompetence on everyone else.

Thank which ever deity you believe in that the youngster Bec Hyatt and her team were wide awake to steer far and wide and clear of this bottom of the barrel operation "fundafighter".

Be aware.
And exactly how much have you done to support fighters or even the sport in general? Phone Post
1/23/13 12:08 AM
Drugs_Delaney
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

some ugers made a site to point out rapists and make sure everyone who searches for them finds it. why dont we make a site for scumbag sponsors/promoters.
1/23/13 12:16 AM
Matt Phillips
815 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drugs_Delaney - some ugers made a site to point out rapists and make sure everyone who searches for them finds it. why dont we make a site for scumbag sponsors/promoters.
Like mmablacklist.com or something? Haha

Would help to have a database for shitty people in the business. Scanners, shitty sponsors, crooked promoters and so on.

Hell, even a yelp-like review system for mma would be wonderful. I bet its a feature Kirik could build onto this site. Phone Post
1/23/13 12:24 AM
sodigthisbigcrux
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Phillips -
Drugs_Delaney - some ugers made a site to point out rapists and make sure everyone who searches for them finds it. why dont we make a site for scumbag sponsors/promoters.

Would help to have a database for shitty people in the business. Scanners, shitty sponsors, crooked promoters and so on.

Hell, even a yelp-like review system for mma would be wonderful. I bet its a feature Kirik could build onto this site. Phone Post
Unless CNN reports the bad review first, there's no point.... Phone Post
1/23/13 12:26 AM
Alumynabjj

sodigthisbigcrux -
Matt Phillips -

Unless CNN reports the bad review first, there's no point.... Phone Post
Lmfao! Phone Post
1/23/13 12:33 AM
Trane

Brings back memories of KTFO :)
1/23/13 12:43 AM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rick Hawn - 

Looks like Gingrich will be 

Hawning The Fuck Up....

1/23/13 1:53 AM
CindyO

Billy Bunter - Thank goodness Bec Hyatt and her people saw through this "fundafighter" fuck up, so far every controversy related to MMA fighters emanates from this thinly disguised operation. Everyone was presented under the guidance of "fundafighter" Heun's "woe be me" story about Zuffa not paying for his surgery, when in fact they paid for more than he's worth. Carefully and cunningly structured communications release by this "fundafighter" painted the picture accordingly, until push came to shove and it ultimately was revealed that Zuffa had indeed paid more than anyone for any fighter on their roster, beyond. The guidance of "fundafighter" - so called MMA marketing experts, advised him to scream blue murder in the public realm, which he did do. Turned out of course that what he claimed was not true at all. Now we have this 'another' fundafighter' embroiled in dubious activities again under the guidance of this "fundafighter". According the the informations provided by "fundafighter" they negotiated the sponsorship of the company in question, seemingly content with "verbal" agreements. Suddenly it becomes a "miscommunication" when the agreement acknowledgement by both sides is that the corner will wear the garments as provided "sure" says the fighter himself, then the unprofessional "fundafighter" claims impossible after the fact.

Be aware.

Thank goodness Bec Hyatt and her people saw through this "fundafighter" fuck up,

What do you mean?

Cindy

1/23/13 2:17 AM
Stan The Man
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh man. I saw this thread when I got home after work 4 hours ago, and I just finished reading through the entire story. There were ups and downs, and we are all better people in the end. Except for that HTFU guy, he'll always be a douche.
1/23/13 2:43 AM
FeliceHerrig
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/23/13 2:43 AM

Had to share my take on this matter...  photo DEADBEAT-SPONSOR-PIC_zps5186c36a.jpg

1/23/13 3:29 AM
Bentleysuper8

YoungSteinel - Flame away. It is the only place you can (besides info@htfu.com. Shoot them a nice email)

http://www.facebook.com/markgingrichphotography?fref=ts

Ha. He pulled this as well.
1/23/13 3:48 AM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST

Edited: 01/23/13 3:50 AM
N
1/23/13 4:49 AM
xNate
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't fuck with fighters, they have their own army. Phone Post
1/23/13 5:10 AM
john joe
396 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
its so pathetic on so many levels;

but for me the main one is that the cheque was for $1,000 - $1k! The guy is losing his mind over a trifling amount like that? I've literally got coats in the wardrobe that cost that (its like £650 in real money) and i am far from some hotshot businessman

then he's saying it cost $200 to fedex some gear - so you can spend $200 on postage but $1k on a sponsorship is too much? And no way that custom shirt cost $1,000, no way. I could walk downtown right now and sketch a design on a piece of paper and have it ready by any printing shop by the end of the day. I know coz i've done this for team mates before. Costs £80/ $120 to set up the screen, then about $30 max per basic printed shirt, up to maybe $50 front and back multicolor print

if he's paying $1,000 for one off shirts he can come to me and i will turn them round for $500 each for him, a considerable saving

HTFU absolutely HTFucked Up on this one; terrible brand damage

and Jeremy Stephens' issue doesnt seem to be resolved yet, UG Mob?
1/23/13 5:13 AM
john joe
396 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/23/13 5:14 AM
Fighters Only, web/editorial
Billy Bunter - so far every controversy related to MMA fighters emanates from this thinly disguised [fundafighter] operation.
Billy Bunter - Two controversies initiated and under the auspices of "fundafighter" to date.

like many drama queens, consistency is not your strong point

"every" does not equal "two"

i would also lay heavy odds that you are the guy from HTFU or an employee thereof

1/23/13 7:08 AM
fundafighterrob
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Billy Bunter - Thank goodness Bec Hyatt and her people saw through this "fundafighter" fuck up, so far every controversy related to MMA fighters emanates from this thinly disguised operation. Everyone was presented under the guidance of "fundafighter" Heun's "woe be me" story about Zuffa not paying for his surgery, when in fact they paid for more than he's worth. Carefully and cunningly structured communications release by this "fundafighter" painted the picture accordingly, until push came to shove and it ultimately was revealed that Zuffa had indeed paid more than anyone for any fighter on their roster, beyond. The guidance of "fundafighter" - so called MMA marketing experts, advised him to scream blue murder in the public realm, which he did do. Turned out of course that what he claimed was not true at all. Now we have this 'another' fundafighter' embroiled in dubious activities again under the guidance of this "fundafighter". According the the informations provided by "fundafighter" they negotiated the sponsorship of the company in question, seemingly content with "verbal" agreements. Suddenly it becomes a "miscommunication" when the agreement acknowledgement by both sides is that the corner will wear the garments as provided "sure" says the fighter himself, then the unprofessional "fundafighter" claims impossible after the fact.

Be aware.
Sorry you feel this way
Fundafighter is simply a platform, if you don't want to back a fighter no one is forcing you. In fact many ug ers seemed to be willing to back bec on a fundafighter. I think the only thing stopping more fighters from joining are managers who would have difficulty charging their fees for money raised on fundafighter, but if you have any questions about what we do I'd be happy to discuss it, you can email me at info@fundafighter.com Phone Post
1/23/13 8:04 AM
Dougie
941 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WriteBelt -  Phone Post

Finally Rousey says something I can appreciate!

BTW - He took down his facebook photography page as well as the HTFU page on facebook. I watched the photo page for a bit last night and it was getting hammered just as bad, if not worse, than the HTFU facebook page.

1/23/13 8:05 AM
Dougie
941 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

frederic - 
Dougie - 
CGJiuJitsu - 

Hit him up and let him know how we support the fighters of the sport we love...  Here's the link for comments...

http://htfu.com/contact.html

Let him have it....!!!!!

LOL!

"Y U no pay Rick Hawn and Jeremy Stephens?"

Sent.

Classic!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.