UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> new (lame) trend in BJJ schools?

1/22/13 1:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ultimatestreetfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone else notice a new trend with BJJ schools no longer listing their class schedules on the website? i guess it's a pretty common practice with TMA mcdojos not to list schedules. i'm not sure if i agree with the logic behind it though. to me, it just makes checking out schools more of a pain in the ass.
1/22/13 2:19 AM
blanko
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i never heard of this...
1/22/13 2:21 AM
shen
822 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The big trend I see is 1 hour classes.
1/22/13 2:32 AM
Sir Taps
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's because more and more schools are following the Lloyd Irvin methodology, either directly by going to his seminars and following his directions, or just taking inspiration from it. Whether they'll change now we'll have to see...

James
1/22/13 5:33 AM
DarrenMullen
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sir Taps - It's because more and more schools are following the Lloyd Irvin methodology, either directly by going to his seminars and following his directions, or just taking inspiration from it. Whether they'll change now we'll have to see...

James

You can't blame LI for everything! He has his schedule posted...lol.
1/22/13 6:35 AM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - The big trend I see is 1 hour classes.

That's the length of our beginner class. Intro class is 45 min.

How long are yours?
1/22/13 6:55 AM
shen
822 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CJJScout - 

How long are yours?

Where I train it's about 2 hours, though people leave when they want.

One place I teach, class is 1 1/2 hours, but people can roll longer. The other place I teach, class is strictly 1 hour. (That place is the most financially "successful", BTW).

Shorter classes usually means more classes per evening.

1/22/13 7:18 AM
jakeklipp
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

our classes are 1 hour but rolling after isnt on schedule.  we just go till the last guy is tired.

1/22/13 7:36 AM
Sir Taps
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DarrenMullen - You can't blame LI for everything!

I can, and I will!!

It is a marketing thing though, limit the amount of info that you give out, in the hope that interested people will call or visit so you can give them the sales speech. Quite unhelpful for people dropping in from out of town though.

James
1/22/13 8:08 AM
PayItForward
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think 1.5 hours is good.

i will be doing a single 1-hour class during the week because that's the only time slot available to me at the place i'm renting out (rented gym space by multiple people). All the other classes will be advertised as 1.5-hours, but we can stop more around the 2-hour mark. it all depends on if people WANT to stay and roll a little longer.
1/22/13 8:13 AM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 
CJJScout - 

How long are yours?

Where I train it's about 2 hours, though people leave when they want.

One place I teach, class is 1 1/2 hours, but people can roll longer. The other place I teach, class is strictly 1 hour. (That place is the most financially "successful", BTW).

Shorter classes usually means more classes per evening.

Intermediate/Advanced class is an hour, but open mat for minimum 30 minutes after that. All 3 classes meet per night.
1/22/13 9:05 AM
Kroger39
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sir Taps - It's because more and more schools are following the Lloyd Irvin methodology, either directly by going to his seminars and following his directions, or just taking inspiration from it. Whether they'll change now we'll have to see...

James

I've seen this with 3 different schools that adopted the MMA Millionaire business model.
1/22/13 1:57 PM
shen

Edited: 01/22/13 2:07 PM

I think an hour class is fine IF you can open roll afterwards.

But if the class (warm-up, techniques, drilling & rolling) is limited to 1 hour, that's tight.

There is a TKD school near me that has 40 min classes for adult. --That's really pushing it. But OVERALL there seems to be an industry trend towards short classes. That's what you are coached to do if you do NAPMA or similar style program to make more money for your school.(Obviously, not every school that has short classes is a McDojo, but every McDojo has short classes.) Those programs teach that the average person likes SHORT classes.
1/22/13 2:04 PM
John Nic

Our classes are 1.5 hours. I'd prefer 2 or 3 - so guys can just hang out after and shoot the shit. Phone Post
1/22/13 2:27 PM
matt murdock
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My school website has schedule and pricing. Hardly any schools have their prices listed.
1/22/13 2:29 PM
matt murdock
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My fundamentals classes are only 45 minutes, but they are immediately followed by regular classes. Everyone is welcome to either or. Our regular class range from 1 hour to 1.5 hours depending on the time of day (shorter in the early morning and lunch, longer in the evening).
1/22/13 2:42 PM
bmorela3

jakeklipp -

our classes are 1 hour but rolling after isnt on schedule.  we just go till the last guy is tired.

that's what we do and i love it. after rolling its at least a 90min class

1 hour for everything including rolling wouldn't be fun Phone Post
1/22/13 2:56 PM
Pride Wanderlei

bmorela3 -
jakeklipp -

that's what we do and i love it. after rolling its at least a 90min class

1 hour for everything including rolling wouldn't be fun Phone Post
We do 1 hour of Technique and then a Randori class- works well Phone Post
1/22/13 3:19 PM
RPBJJ
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never heard of that. We don't post prices. But the schedule is posted.

And we do an hour technique then an hour rolling.

1/22/13 4:45 PM
DK Chaos
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My school does 1 hour classes but I believe we are very time efficient. I've seen many places where they have 2 hour classes but there is a lot of padding in those classes, i.e. people turn up late to miss the warm up, people get shown a technique then maybe practice 2 or 3 times then they sit around chatting about this weekends UFC or a new Gi they saw on the internet, they spar for one round then sit out the next 2 rounds to drink water, stretch, coach from the sidelines etc,
The schedule at our school is as follows,

3 - 5 minute mobility warmup

5 minutes practicing a takedown technique (same TD all week)

Drilling 2 - 3 moves / 5 mins on each technique from a certain position ( Position is the same for the entire week eg. half guard Top)

Half hour sparring - 5 minute rounds - 30 sec rest between rounds, everyone does every round, if you injured and can't spar then you just keep drilling the moves from class, if you get injured during class both you and the person who injured you are out for the rest of the class. (this discourages people faking injuries)
1/23/13 12:04 AM
jakeklipp
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can i ask why some schools dont post prices?  we do and ive received positive feedback from a couple people that picked us because of that fact.  just wondering if there is a reason not to.

1/23/13 12:21 AM
andrewn

Only reason I can see for not posting prices is that they may be subject to change and not everyone is great at keeping their website up to date.

1/23/13 2:53 AM
JasonGV
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DK Chaos - My school does 1 hour classes but I believe we are very time efficient. I've seen many places where they have 2 hour classes but there is a lot of padding in those classes, i.e. people turn up late to miss the warm up, people get shown a technique then maybe practice 2 or 3 times then they sit around chatting about this weekends UFC or a new Gi they saw on the internet, they spar for one round then sit out the next 2 rounds to drink water, stretch, coach from the sidelines etc,

Drilling 2 - 3 moves / 5 mins on each technique from a certain position ( Position is the same for the entire week eg. half guard Top)

Half hour sparring - 5 minute rounds - 30 sec rest between rounds, everyone does every round, if you injured and can't spar then you just keep drilling the moves from class, if you get injured during class both you and the person who injured you are out for the rest of the class. (this discourages people faking injuries)

This sounds good to me.

5 minutes warmup.

25 minutes technique.

30 minutes of times rounds.

A lot of the longer classes I've done tend to waffle. The instructor isn't concise with their teaching, frequent drink breaks. People ambling around chatting, including instructors. Just generally poorly organised. Certainly not all clubs, but some.

Funnily enough when I did Aikido and Kendo the hour to 1.5 hour classes were down to a science. Especially Kendo. Warmup, drills, technique, sparring. 1.5 went very quickly.

If there is open mat after class and the 1 hour lessons are split into beginner/advanced it could work very well.
1/23/13 3:17 AM
xpat
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DK Chaos - My school does 1 hour classes but I believe we are very time efficient. I've seen many places where they have 2 hour classes but there is a lot of padding in those classes, i.e. people turn up late to miss the warm up, people get shown a technique then maybe practice 2 or 3 times then they sit around chatting about this weekends UFC or a new Gi they saw on the internet, they spar for one round then sit out the next 2 rounds to drink water, stretch, coach from the sidelines etc,

Sounds about right - I think the key is mat space as everyone has to be able to spar every round in a 1 hr (non-beginners) class.
1/23/13 4:18 AM
Sir Taps

jakeklipp - 

can i ask why some schools dont post prices?  we do and ive received positive feedback from a couple people that picked us because of that fact.  just wondering if there is a reason not to.

In theory it's to stop people from looking at a bunch of schools and immediately discounting some because of price, even before they've stepped through the door. The school would rather you come in, be impressed by their facilities, the people etc, and then hopefully you'll be won over before fees are even mentioned.

Which is fair enough in some regards for complete beginners, as they've got no idea what a good or bad school is, and will often only be really making a choice on location and price. For experienced students though, we know how things are, we don't need the sales pitch, we just want the details IMO.

James

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.