UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> new (lame) trend in BJJ schools?

1/23/13 7:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
trianglegrrl
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bmorela3 - 
jakeklipp -

our classes are 1 hour but rolling after isnt on schedule.  we just go till the last guy is tired.

that's what we do and i love it. after rolling its at least a 90min class

1 hour for everything including rolling wouldn't be fun Phone Post

At my last academy we tried 2h classes, mostly because the senior students like to hang around and roll casually at the end, and we figured that's what everybody would want. However, 2h classes were unpopular with the new students, and we got a lot of feedback that they were too long. We experimented with a lot of different times and we came up with 1h for the beginners and 1h30m for advanced. Open mats usually went for 2-3 hours, ending when everybody starts to leave.

Asking beginners to focus for more than an hour is tough, but you have to be really careful with staying on schedule if you want to give rolling time in a one-hour class. I personally only teach one technique per class to beginners; it gives you more time to focus on refining details, and they get to drill a lot to help them develop motor patterning. Even with advanced students, if I teach more than one technique then they are connected with transitions (e.g. armbar to triangle), or they are related concepts (e.g. knee slice to different sides).
1/23/13 7:37 AM
trianglegrrl
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh, and at my current academy, classes are 1h15m. I've never seen that length of class before, but I like it a lot. Somewhere between that and 1h30m is perfect for me.
1/23/13 8:41 AM
Akston
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The idea is forced contact with the potential customer Phone Post
1/23/13 10:08 AM
leglockfan

shen - 
CJJScout - 
shen - The big trend I see is 1 hour classes.

That's the length of our beginner class. Intro class is 45 min.

How long are yours?

Where I train it's about 2 hours, though people leave when they want.

One place I teach, class is 1 1/2 hours, but people can roll longer. The other place I teach, class is strictly 1 hour. (That place is the most financially "successful", BTW).

Shorter classes usually means more classes per evening.

I teach for an hour and a half at both places I teach at. I ramble on a lot though. I tried to teach an hour class and I couldn't do it. I am not financially successful at either place though hehe.
1/23/13 11:26 AM
Magic Mago
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

matt murdock - My school website has schedule and pricing. Hardly any schools have their prices listed.
Same where I train. Phone Post
1/23/13 11:46 AM
TV
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our classes are posted as 1.5 hours, but usually will run 2 hours. Phone Post
1/23/13 11:47 AM
TV
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I meant to type 2 plus hours. Phone Post
1/23/13 1:56 PM
Bean Bag
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gawd I hate this because it includes a 30 minute warm up and 20 minutes of instruction. After one roll and the bow out, class is over.

1/23/13 6:54 PM
JasonGV
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bean Bag - 

Gawd I hate this because it includes a 30 minute warm up and 20 minutes of instruction. After one roll and the bow out, class is over.

30 minutes isn't a warm up though, its a half hour pseudo cardio session. And a convenient and easy way to chew up class time for lazy instructors.
1/23/13 7:48 PM
shen
497 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JasonGV - 
Bean Bag - 

30 minutes isn't a warm up though, its a half hour pseudo cardio session. And a convenient and easy way to chew up class time for lazy instructors.

Well, Personally, I also like to give an inspirational "talk" during each class...

I talk about what it means to be a warrior, or I'll tell some Samurai parables or maybe I'll simply recount the plot of an old episode of "Kung Fu".

Sometimes that takes me 5 minutes, sometimes 45 minutes --it all depends. But it drives me CRAZY when I am just about to sum up WHY master Po's speech was so important and suddenly I'm out of time. So yeah, I favor longer classes.

1/23/13 8:35 PM
BjjDominates
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A fad I keep seeing are gyms advertising mma classes and when I check it out its a
Glorified cardio kickboxing class with no sparring and zero ground work Phone Post
1/23/13 8:56 PM
mmanthebay
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - The big trend I see is 1 hour classes.
I'm actually loving the one hour classes at our academy Phone Post
1/27/13 11:06 PM
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 
CJJScout - 

That's the length of our beginner class. Intro class is 45 min.

How long are yours?

Where I train it's about 2 hours, though people leave when they want.

One place I teach, class is 1 1/2 hours, but people can roll longer. The other place I teach, class is strictly 1 hour. (That place is the most financially "successful", BTW).

Shorter classes usually means more classes per evening.

yes,which means seperate classes for beginners and advanced

1/27/13 11:33 PM
JasonGV
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 
JasonGV - 
Bean Bag - 

Well, Personally, I also like to give an inspirational "talk" during each class...

I talk about what it means to be a warrior, or I'll tell some Samurai parables or maybe I'll simply recount the plot of an old episode of "Kung Fu".

Sometimes that takes me 5 minutes, sometimes 45 minutes --it all depends. But it drives me CRAZY when I am just about to sum up WHY master Po's speech was so important and suddenly I'm out of time. So yeah, I favor longer classes.

Oh Ive had some amazing "pep talks"

After a 2 hour class, an hour of straight rollling everyone is dead on their, but have to stand up because we did the ridiculous hand shake line up. We would get a rambling, inane speech. There's a comp coming up. Everyone should compete (the instructor is running the comp). If you absolutely cant come and spectate (they charge for spectators lol). Oh and everyone should wear our new team rashie, to ,you know look more like a team (sold those too conveniently). Fucking 9.00pm, people have careers/family/early mornings, but the BJJ man child just keeps rambling on for 30 minutes sometimes.

If we were really lucky we might get some pseudo philosophy/self-help remarks for a bonus! Yes, life lessons from a high school grad whose life experience is confined to rolling on mats with pajamas. Keep in mind we have Doctors, Lawyers, Cops, Social Workers, Teachers, members of the armed forces on the mats. But yes, we get lectured to about life by a professional guard puller.

Sorry to ramble but Shen's remark brought up some hilarious/sad memories.

This certainly isn't confined to BJJ, but martial arts in general. Though the saddest examples came from BJJ guys.

osu

1/27/13 11:40 PM
shen
497 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ LOL! So true.

1/28/13 12:01 AM
coachjarrod1

our classes are 45 minutes for intro classes plus an additional 15 for the more advanced students to positional spar.

Advanced Class/Comp Training is an hour plus Phone Post
1/28/13 12:31 AM
leglockfan

JasonGV - 
shen - 
JasonGV - 
Bean Bag - 

Oh Ive had some amazing "pep talks"

After a 2 hour class, an hour of straight rollling everyone is dead on their, but have to stand up because we did the ridiculous hand shake line up. We would get a rambling, inane speech. There's a comp coming up. Everyone should compete (the instructor is running the comp). If you absolutely cant come and spectate (they charge for spectators lol). Oh and everyone should wear our new team rashie, to ,you know look more like a team (sold those too conveniently). Fucking 9.00pm, people have careers/family/early mornings, but the BJJ man child just keeps rambling on for 30 minutes sometimes.

If we were really lucky we might get some pseudo philosophy/self-help remarks for a bonus! Yes, life lessons from a high school grad whose life experience is confined to rolling on mats with pajamas. Keep in mind we have Doctors, Lawyers, Cops, Social Workers, Teachers, members of the armed forces on the mats. But yes, we get lectured to about life by a professional guard puller.

Sorry to ramble but Shen's remark brought up some hilarious/sad memories.

This certainly isn't confined to BJJ, but martial arts in general. Though the saddest examples came from BJJ guys.

osu

I've been there lol. Good times
1/28/13 1:20 PM
golfinho

Our adult classes are 1 hour long but we start on time and stick to a regimented schedule.

I personally think most schools drag the classes on so that a few of the students can chit chat during the class, but this definitely waste time for those who have busy schedules or other responsibilities.
1/29/13 12:32 AM
McGruff The Crime Hog
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Class is about 2.5 hours. 1 hour seems short but then again it's the only place I've ever trained. One hour seems way short. I would love to do a one hour class at lunch between work. Phone Post
1/29/13 1:18 AM
kying418

I have 1 hour 15 minute class, followed by 1 hour of open mat.
2/2/13 1:45 AM
Alder Hampel
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Call in, tell them when you'll be available and they'll probably tell you what class is best to drop in on. I've had guys drop in on wrong classes, it's better to talk to a real person IMO. Phone Post
2/4/13 3:42 PM
dalexan242
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our evening classes are 1.5 hours, but our 7AM and noon are only an hour since they attract a lot of professionals who have to go to (back to) work afterward. They usually have abbreviated warmups (0-10 min) and much more easy-going sparring sessions.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.